Charging For An Estimate Backlash - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Charging For An Estimate Backlash

Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Charging For An Estimate Backlash

Whoa. A realtor called me asking for a FREE estimate on a repair of a property that they are selling and the buyer wants completed. Told her I'll be glad to provide her an estimate for $XX.00

She said she's never heard of such a thing. No one else charges, blah blah blah, I'll tell everyone I know, blah.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
srjordon (01-21-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Charging For An Estimate Backlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144
Whoa. A realtor called me asking for a FREE estimate on a repair of a property that they are selling and the buyer wants completed. Told her I'll be glad to provide her an estimate for $XX.00 She said she's never heard of such a thing. No one else charges, blah blah blah, I'll tell everyone I know, blah.
Its a realtor so you have to charge because I can guarantee they won't use you as they use the cheapest almost every time. Should have said the estimate cost is taken if the total of the job if they accept your bid.

Advertisement

B.D.R. (01-21-2014), TNTRenovate (02-01-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Just ask her if she would list a house for free? Listing a house is like selling a job. You get a call, you meet and sign papers just like a contractor. Difference, they get paid regardless if they sell the house or someone else.

If she's still a Cu next Tuesday:

Ask her what the listing price is. Ask her if she thinks her time is worth more than yours, after all your fee is what a couple hundred bucks?

$100,000 house listed by her sold by someone else worth about $3,000 and even if she's not the broker and has to split it with her broker it's still $1,500 or 5 times what you are charging.

She's going to tell people blah blah what? Bam don't work for free?
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofcheck For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (01-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

She's all mad because 6 other guys said exactly what you did
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (01-21-2014), TNTRenovate (02-01-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Pole Barn Builder
Rewards Points: 1,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
I'll tell everyone I know, blah.
Did you thank her properly for helping you get the word out that you're not a sucker? LOL
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PoleBarnsNY For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (01-22-2014), AmeliaP (01-22-2014), CarpenterSFO (01-22-2014), glkirk (01-21-2014), hdavis (01-21-2014), mikeswoods (01-21-2014), rselectric1 (01-21-2014), Tech Dawg (01-21-2014), TNTRenovate (02-01-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,938

Me thinks she protesteth too much...

Then educate her on the difference between a guesstimate and a formal quote...
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 274

Yep Realtors are the worst. Same thing happened to me once and was a big waste of my time ,free time. Second time a different realtor called ,I said "sure I will give you a estimate for $ ,didn't call back you could tell I was one of many she tried getting a free est to bring to closing table... If any Realtors are lurking here. "The jig is up,we all know you just want a number to close deal" for free....f ...off
The Following User Says Thank You to Smithanator For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 274

Lets say you even did get the negotiated work... Who's paying? Seller?or buyer?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

I don't bid on anything under $1,000...if its under $1000 I either do it T&M or I have a flat rate price on the type of project.....I get customers who want a bid on a $150 job..

if its over $1,000 I first qualify them and give them a rough over the phone estimate...then I ask ís that in your budget' ...then I go and give them a bid

I rarely get any large homeowner jobs...I think most of the time they have 1/2 the budget needed and do it themselves or use a side jobber

I wont work for a realitor either unless they show up and pay me on the spot...every time Ive done work for a house that is in the process of being sold I spend 3 months and 10 phone calls to get my $250 they owe me...its been 100%...they always call and need you immediately....then never pay you....either they show up or I don't show up

the only bid I charge for is when the buyer wants me to do a walkthrough..they use my $ to get the sell price lowered and then hire someone cheaper to do the work....I caught onto this a while back....ive had a few pay my $176 for the estimate for the walkthrough

I don't see many people charging for bids around me...only the large service shops who charge $60 for a guy to show up
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

I guess she meant she is going to tell her realtor friends not to call me unless they wants to pay for an estimate.

This is one of my main focuses this year, not to waste anytime. I've wasted enough the past 4 seasons and I've finally learned.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
Heritage (01-22-2014), LeeFowler (01-22-2014), overanalyze (01-21-2014), Rio (01-22-2014), TNTRenovate (02-01-2014), Tom Struble (01-22-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Roofing and siding
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144
Whoa. A realtor called me asking for a FREE estimate on a repair of a property that they are selling and the buyer wants completed. Told her I'll be glad to provide her an estimate for $XX.00 She said she's never heard of such a thing. No one else charges, blah blah blah, I'll tell everyone I know, blah.
Good call on this, I started telling realtors the same thing a few years back. I figured out my close rate was extremely low with realtors. When I'm busy I don't even call them back.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 516

Don't worry about it. All Realtors and potential buyers respond the same way. Just politely tell them "it's my policy to only give proposals to the owner of the property". The title has to be in their name or they don't have the right to sign an agreement.

If you make an agreement with someone that is not the owner you lose your lien rights.

Tell them you charge for it because you don't know if the deal will go through, the buyer could back out. You can't make everybody happy, let them find someone that is dumb enough to waste their time.

If they know someone else that will do it for free why didn't they call that person instead of you?

Last edited by MEL; 01-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MEL For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (01-22-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,662

I live in a small town, so when a realtor calls, I have no problem giving them a quote on something. It usually gets me work in the future.

If I was in a large city and it was a call out of the blue, I might think different.

Last edited by VinylHanger; 01-21-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Its a realtor so you have to charge because I can guarantee they won't use you as they use the cheapest almost every time. Should have said the estimate cost is taken if the total of the job if they accept your bid.
thats a crock of sheeeeeit..

realtors sing their names on recommendations..its infact quite the opposite..

however..realtors taking the estimate without the owner is suspect..most of the time they are right there to greet you with the owner.
www.flortechardwood.net
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 13,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestrd View Post

however..realtors taking the estimate without the owner is suspect..most of the time they are right there to greet you with the owner.
Not here, I assure you. They back up nothing but their commissions. I have two Realtors I will return a call to. The rest can call someone who cares.

Don't sweat it Bamm.

John
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestrd View Post

I will add I I have a network of realtors that call me ..I never get cold calls..thats like the old "comp check"method loan officer/mortgage/brokers use you get an idea on price to qualify a sub prime prospect
www.flortechardwood.net

Last edited by jamestrd; 01-21-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: never relaized i typed so bad
The Following User Says Thank You to jamestrd For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Not here, I assure you. They back up nothing but their commissions. I have two Realtors I will return a call to. The rest can call someone who cares.

Don't sweat it Bamm.
you picked what you wanted to answer Jaws.

we crossed on posts.

I will add this.when servies are offered free..people tend to expect it and this is what this country let alone economy has created.

asking some good questions and maintaining some dignity go a long way. most tire kickes can be found out quickly..however some will slip thru the cracks..God Knows I know
www.flortechardwood.net
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamestrd For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-22-2014), Rio (01-22-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 872

The only thing realtors call me for is a bargaining chip and they hope I will go out and do a complete quote. No thanks Missy. Figure it out on your own or go to Craigs List. (I fell for that too many times to list)

I do keep in the real estate lawyers good graces though so I can go fix what the home inspectors find and coordinate with them on closing issues.

This whole game is very common nowadays and you are wasting your time 99 out of 100 times. Fair warning unless you like betting that you won't be the pawn.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Pole Barn Builder
Rewards Points: 1,419

An option to deal with these common users is to offer a full or partial credit of the "professional consultation" fee toward the project if you are hired to do the projects you "consulted" on.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoleBarnsNY For This Useful Post:
Rio (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestrd
thats a crock of sheeeeeit.. realtors sing their names on recommendations..its infact quite the opposite.. however..realtors taking the estimate without the owner is suspect..most of the time they are right there to greet you with the owner.
Guess your company is not one of the ones that gets called often for estimates then. I would guess I have done maybe 14 estimates for realtors since moving here. HO's never there and its blatant stuff that the future buyer would want fixing. They don't even want you there to fix the work. They just want to pass your hopefully lowball price onto the new buyer so they can reassure them the fixes won't cost much to do so they buy the house from them. this is why they won't pay a estimate few as its money out their pockets. my wife's 2 best mates are realtors and neither of them use me for estimates because I charge them now. you ain't in business to give free advice.

Advertisement