The Blue Book - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

The Blue Book

Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Trade: Floor coverings
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

The Blue Book

Don't join the Blue Book. I am a subcontractor who joined a year ago.
I do get a lot of bid invitations through the Blue Book, but they are of no use to me for one main reason. They do not show me all of the general contractors who are bidding a project. The only name you will see is the G.C who sent you the invitation. What are the chances of landing a project if you only send your bid to one G.C. who is bidding? Also, the G.C. is responsible for loading the plans and specs to the site for you to view. However, most of the time they do not load them or do not load everything that you need to complete a bid. When I go to other plan centers, I am always able to get a complete list of general contractors who I can send my bid to, and a complete set of plans and specs.
If you want bid invitations sent to you, call, fax or visit the general contractors in your area and ask them to put you on their bid invitation list. Join one or two plan centers and they will provide you with new projects and plans and specs. You will never see all of the jobs available to bid unless you join every plan center in your area, and that can be very expensive. But you will still get more for your money than if you sign on with the Blue Book.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Re: The Blue Book

I'll agree Blue Book is used mostly like yellow pages. It's mostly for owners looking for tradesman or GC's.
If you want to join something try Bid Tool.net Most architects and owners now about it and will place digital download invitations to bid and describe the project a little.
If your interested call the GC and get an FTP site to download the plan and bid away.
I estimated for a small commercial outfit for about a year and we used it a lot.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 304

Re: The Blue Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERER View Post
Don't join the Blue Book. I am a subcontractor who joined a year ago.
I do get a lot of bid invitations through the Blue Book, but they are of no use to me for one main reason. They do not show me all of the general contractors who are bidding a project. The only name you will see is the G.C who sent you the invitation. What are the chances of landing a project if you only send your bid to one G.C. who is bidding? Also, the G.C. is responsible for loading the plans and specs to the site for you to view. However, most of the time they do not load them or do not load everything that you need to complete a bid. When I go to other plan centers, I am always able to get a complete list of general contractors who I can send my bid to, and a complete set of plans and specs.
If you want bid invitations sent to you, call, fax or visit the general contractors in your area and ask them to put you on their bid invitation list. Join one or two plan centers and they will provide you with new projects and plans and specs. You will never see all of the jobs available to bid unless you join every plan center in your area, and that can be very expensive. But you will still get more for your money than if you sign on with the Blue Book.
While I agree with a lot of what you said, don't the addenda for the projects include the site visitor logs? The few times we have been invited to bid on a project through the BB system, the addenda have listed the other GCs, primes and even some subs that visited the site.

Also, be careful about shopping your bids around too much. If you have a good relationship with a GC, you may want to dance with the one who brought you.