Best Online Marketing Instruments - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Best Online Marketing Instruments

Old 10-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #1

Trade: Drywall Installation and Taping
Rewards Points: 24
Lightbulb

Best Online Marketing Instruments

what online instrument generates most traffic, and most importantly more clients for your business?
Do you have any results from social media, like facebook, g+, twitter? Is youtube important for your business and does it bring traffic?

We are in drywall installation business, and we get quite a lot of traffic from google (both organic and ppc), however most clients are small private repair or small installations. Ideally we would like to get general contractors or construction management companies as our clients, for new projects (custom homes).

Please share your experience! Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

John, www.DrywallTaping.ca

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Re: Best Online Marketing Instruments

Getting Google reviews, and/or any public reviews are the most effective. If you can get on p.1 great, but, that is a mystery, as many claim to have the skills to get you there, but... Bottom line, try to get customer reviews, it's not so easy, but it isn't expensive either. Best value.

My advise is to make sure your web page is mobile friendly, and desktop friendly so that when folks look you up in their own setting, they get a positive vibe.

Advertisement

DrywallExpert (10-16-2014), NSEWindows (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

I was thinking about the mobile version lately. Thanks for the advice. Btw, how do you know reviews drive traffic? It seems obvious, but did you measure it in any way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

I don't care how many people visit my site, what I care about is how many conversions I get, I want to know how many people visit then contact then get sold a job.

If you have 1000 visitors a day and 0 conversions does it really matter how many people came to your site?

As for a mobile site, I prefer a responsive layout as opposed to a dedicated mobile site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
NSEWindows (10-16-2014), tedanderson (10-18-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Pro

How is HomeStars working out for you? Are you paying the monthly fee or using the free tier?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
I don't care how many people visit my site, what I care about is how many conversions I get, I want to know how many people visit then contact then get sold a job.

If you have 1000 visitors a day and 0 conversions does it really matter how many people came to your site?

As for a mobile site, I prefer a responsive layout as opposed to a dedicated mobile site.
What works best for you?

I feel like a lot of contacts from Home Stars, are very small jobs.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Ralph Rivera

Trade: Insurance
Rewards Points: 40

If your doing PPC, are you tracking phone calls? Google AdWords recently rolled out a new feature that allows you to track phone calls (for free!):
https://support.google.com/adwords/a..._from_websites
Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrivera View Post
If your doing PPC, are you tracking phone calls? Google AdWords recently rolled out a new feature that allows you to track phone calls (for free!):
https://support.google.com/adwords/a..._from_websites
They dont have this service in Canada. Thanks for the tip anyway
Old 10-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,832

Spend your efforts making your website the best it can be. That may mean hiring someone who can do the things you dont know how to do.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Pro

If you are looking for a nice theme to work with in wordpress check out Pagelines, its really simple and looks nice, my site is based on it.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Spend your efforts making your website the best it can be. That may mean hiring someone who can do the things you dont know how to do.
Thank you for your input and I have a couple of questions. What does "the best it can be" mean? Best for SEO, best for the end customer, best for the general contractor? What exactly makes the website the best? I mean not from the point of view of a web designer, but from the revenue generation point of view?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Pro

I think that designing a website for seo, is a disservice to the customer (both the contractor, and end user) unless done in a tactfully manner. I have seen many sites with not-so-subtle uses of key words, and believe is a terrible look for the company.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrywallExpert View Post
Thank you for your input and I have a couple of questions. What does "the best it can be" mean? Best for SEO, best for the end customer, best for the general contractor? What exactly makes the website the best? I mean not from the point of view of a web designer, but from the revenue generation point of view?
What makes a website the best is how much money you make from it.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Framing/Carpentry
Rewards Points: 294

Honestly I have almost no practical marketing experience, but I felt like adding my 2 cents anyway. I have read a little and have dabbled in web design since 97 or so though.
I would think a good designer could make your site "the best it can be" with a balance of Seo and designing for the end user (contractors if that's what your after). On the other hand, out here anyway, a contractor is not going to find you on the web and try you out, no matter how good your site is. He will talk to other contractors and subs when he is in the market for a new drywall guy.
The website will help but I think meeting GCs and subs, handing them your card, even if you have to just show up on site to do so, will be much more effective.
Hmm... Off topic from a guy with no real experience... Flame away boys.
-Dave
Old 10-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
what online instrument generates most traffic, and most importantly more clients for your business?
The landing page is what gets it done for me.

To piggyback on what Sector said, I know how to get 1000 site visits a day but if I am looking for a specific type of customer.. preferably someone who has the wherewithal to afford my services, I target that type of person with a facebook ad. Middle aged women who watch the Lifetime Network usually want a TV over their hot tub or somewhere else in the bathroom. So I have an ad that specifically targets that demographic. Single mothers under the age of 30 like watching daytime television and all of those "housewife" shows with some celebrity gossip on the side. I have an ad that targets them also.

When they click the ad, the embedded URL directs them to a landing page which asks for their info. If they are interested, they fill it out. If they aren't serious, they won't.

Even the tire kickers tend to back off when they are presented with the landing page because it asks some very pointed questions that indicate whether or not they are committed to having the work done in their house whether it's through me or someone else.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post
Honestly I have almost no practical marketing experience, but I felt like adding my 2 cents anyway. I have read a little and have dabbled in web design since 97 or so though.
I would think a good designer could make your site "the best it can be" with a balance of Seo and designing for the end user (contractors if that's what your after). On the other hand, out here anyway, a contractor is not going to find you on the web and try you out, no matter how good your site is. He will talk to other contractors and subs when he is in the market for a new drywall guy.
The website will help but I think meeting GCs and subs, handing them your card, even if you have to just show up on site to do so, will be much more effective.
-Dave
For the most part, I agree with you. However, if they are seriously considering your services, they are likely to go online and check out your site, and do a little research.

The website is a big part of your product presentation. Make sure it accurately portrays the image you want.
mtb (10-20-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #17

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post
-Dave
Thanks, Dave. I agree. I had the same idea. Trying next.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 668

Quote:
Do you have any results from social media, like facebook, g+, twitter? Is youtube important for your business and does it bring traffic?

We are in drywall installation business, and we get quite a lot of traffic from google (both organic and ppc), however most clients are small private repair or small installations. Ideally we would like to get general contractors or construction management companies as our clients, for new projects (custom homes).

Please share your experience! Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

After hanging around these forums for years, I've realized that there is n't a good answer to your question. What works great for some here, others will fail at miserably.

My best advice would be to test some ideas and track the results. Then you will know what the best online marketing instrument is for your company.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawndart For This Useful Post:
LeeFowler (10-31-2014), ohiohomedoctor (10-31-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
After hanging around these forums for years, I've realized that there is n't a good answer to your question. What works great for some here, others will fail at miserably.

My best advice would be to test some ideas and track the results. Then you will know what the best online marketing instrument is for your company.

Good luck!
Sometimes one needs some fresh ideas from the same industry.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #20

I am reading about the importance of youtube, since its the second biggest search engine. Has anyone had any success with that?

Advertisement