Anybody Hire A Pro Photographer, It Makes A Difference!! - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Anybody Hire A Pro Photographer, It Makes A Difference!!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Anybody Hire A Pro Photographer, It Makes A Difference!!

Last year I finished up a bath renovation and my client is into photography and does some work on the side. Long story short, she had a friend come by and take some pics with her super expensive fish eye lens and let me say, wow, they came out unbelievable! I'm still in shock.

You can see the huge differences in the pics on my website.

This made me think it might be worth it to get pro shots of a couple of projects a year to make my web page pop.

Anyone else use a pro photographer for their after pics?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: Anybody Hire A Pro Photographer, It Makes A Difference!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mechanic View Post
Last year I finished up a bath renovation and my client is into photography and does some work on the side. Long story short, she had a friend come by and take some pics with her super expensive fish eye lens and let me say, wow, they came out unbelievable! I'm still in shock.

You can see the huge differences in the pics on my website.

This made me think it might be worth it to get pro shots of a couple of projects a year to make my web page pop.

Yeah I had a pro take some shots for me but I haven't used them yet. Really nice pics though.

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

What pics are we meant to be looking at? I checked the bathroom and kitchen section and they just look like standard pics you could have taken your self with a DSLR.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
What pics are we meant to be looking at? I checked the bathroom and kitchen section and they just look like standard pics you could have taken your self with a DSLR.
It's the first 4 pics in the bathroom gallery and the 1 bath pic on the home page. The bath is tiny in real life! The lens on that camera made the tiny bath look spacious. Whatever lighting she used made the colors so crisp. Look at the flowers in the first pic back right(on top of the toilet).

I'm looking at the pics on my big Imac and 42" PC screen, so the little things pop out. Checking it out on a smaller screen might not give the pics justice
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
It's the first 4 pics in the bathroom gallery and the 1 bath pic on the home page. The bath is tiny in real life! The lens on that camera made the tiny bath look spacious. Whatever lighting she used made the colors so crisp. Look at the flowers in the first pic back right(on top of the toilet).

I'm looking at the pics on my big Imac and 42" PC screen, so the little things pop out. Checking it out on a smaller screen might not give the pics justice
I don't know massive amounts about cameras but enough to get by. but the ones your talking about have a lot of distortion. Photoshop may be able to fix this with correction but everything looks oval shaped to me. You could do the same with just buying a DSLR and a wide angle lense and a copy of photoshop. You would be amazed what photoshop can do for making poor pictures come out good.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 396

Quote:
I agree with BC, the day of the " Pro Photographer" is dead and died a long time ago! This is a quote from one of the worlds most published photographers, Sun Star. With a DSLR any kid can do a lot!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Pro

My limit of taking a pic is on my iphone5, lol. BC, I checked out your site/pics, they look good. Taking photos are an art in a way. To each their own, I guess. They looked good to me
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
My limit of taking a pic is on my iphone5, lol. BC, I checked out your site/pics, they look good. Taking photos are an art in a way. To each their own, I guess. They looked good to me
Don't get me wrong them bath ones look good. Just not good enough to pay someone to take them. Wouldn't take you much money in equipment to take pics the same as that. My cam setup cost me new about $800 with the lenses I use. Can prob pick up a good cam setup for under a grand to take nice pictures of your jobs. If your doing $50k+ kitchens and bathrooms then perhaps the cost of having a real pro is worth it.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

On my personal Facebook page I'm always amazed at how well people take photos using a smart phone. Many of them are unbelievable quality.

Every photo I have on my website was taken with my smart phone. Most of them don't look professional and that's exactly what I want. But I'm a plumber, I can get away with it. If I was a builder or remodelling contractor I probably would hire a photographer, they are pretty cheap.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

I inquired about it and they wanted $500 for a half day shoot. That was the cheapest option.

Cole
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

I think the pro pix look outstanding - very much an upgrade from the run of the mill contractor-taken pix. Designers, real estate agents, and some contractors hire pro photographers because they get results.It's not just about pixels - pros in particular are very good about setting up lighting, which is the obvious distinguishing feature of those first 4 bath pix.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Don't get me wrong them bath ones look good. Just not good enough to pay someone to take them. Wouldn't take you much money in equipment to take pics the same as that. My cam setup cost me new about $800 with the lenses I use. Can prob pick up a good cam setup for under a grand to take nice pictures of your jobs. If your doing $50k+ kitchens and bathrooms then perhaps the cost of having a real pro is worth it.
Then you still have to learn how to really use a camera and flash / strobe, plus the software. Cheapest conventional film camera I know of that was used for competitions (actually a special class) was $1 - I have one kicking around somewhere.

I think finish pictures for websites are closer to technical photography. Even a $300 camera can do an excellent job. More important is having some slave strobes and various reflectors, and possibly some filters if you don't want to do too much with photoshop.

And a tripod.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-27-2013), cbscreative (05-28-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 158

For me it's not the quality of the pic that's the problem it's taking the time to stage to scene.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks
For me it's not the quality of the pic that's the problem it's taking the time to stage to scene.
Edit: to stage the scene.

For some reason it won't let me edit the original
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post

I agree with BC, the day of the " Pro Photographer" is dead and died a long time ago! This is a quote from one of the worlds most published photographers, Sun Star. With a DSLR any kid can do a lot!
Yeah and any a$$hole can be a great carpenter just buy a good saw...any idiot can be celebrity chef just buy good stove.
CarpenterSFO (05-27-2013), cbscreative (05-28-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Yeah and any a$$hole can be a great carpenter just buy a good saw...any idiot can be celebrity chef just buy good stove.
In todays world many kids can't get through collage without a good DSLR and the information exchange between these kids is amazing!
My kid has never been to a photography class or video class, only on line studies and info from peers. With his professors recommendation he has been sent to (payed for in full and his time payed for) China, The island of Hawaii and New York to do photo and video documentation for the UH at Manoa.

So yea I'd say if you go online and find a photo club in your area you'll find some good photographers. As SunStar said the day of being a photographer is over any kid with a DSLR can do it! http://www.sunstarphoto.com/
I see 11- 12 13 year old kids sitting on the beach firing off 6 frames per second with a 5K camera that go in the surfing mags.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
Pro

Oh and in the photo world he has lo end stuff. A 1,500$ cam. and some lenses.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
In todays world many kids can't get through collage without a good DSLR and the information exchange between these kids is amazing!
My kid has never been to a photography class or video class, only on line studies and info from peers. With his professors recommendation he has been sent to (payed for in full and his time payed for) China, The island of Hawaii and New York to do photo and video documentation for the UH at Manoa.

So yea I'd say if you go online and find a photo club in your area you'll find some good photographers. As SunStar said the day of being a photographer is over any kid with a DSLR can do it! http://www.sunstarphoto.com/
I see 11- 12 13 year old kids sitting on the beach firing off 6 frames per second with a 5K camera that go in the surfing mags.
You said it yourself he has used online studies, info from peers and probably countless hours of practice.

There are many people on this site that have never been to school for their trade yet still do remarkable work.

Your earlier comment made it sound like any inexperience clown can pic up a good camera and take great pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Completely different situation. For one tools don't have an auto setting on them

To spend $400-$700 on having pictures taken of a $6k job is pointless. As I said if your doing very high end work then yeah that cost of having a pro come out is prob worth it as you ain't got to sit on photoshop for 3hrs messing with the pics and you ain't got to worry about the equipment or setup either.

But guys like me who already have a cam, photoshop, tripod and flash then for the type of work I do my pics work out just fine and I'm far from a pro with a cam.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Completely different situation. For one tools don't have an auto setting on them

To spend $400-$700 on having pictures taken of a $6k job is pointless. As I said if your doing very high end work then yeah that cost of having a pro come out is prob worth it as you ain't got to sit on photoshop for 3hrs messing with the pics and you ain't got to worry about the equipment or setup either.

But guys like me who already have a cam, photoshop, tripod and flash then for the type of work I do my pics work out just fine and I'm far from a pro with a cam.
It's also opportunity cost, one less trip out there, just make a phone call.

No different than hiring a subcontractor for anything else.

Advertisement