Any Suggestions About Advertising For A New Business? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Any Suggestions About Advertising For A New Business?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 25

Any Suggestions About Advertising For A New Business?

Hey guys, it's me again. I know you guys are very helpful, that's why I want to ask you a favor. How do I advertise for my new business? It's my first time doing business in USA, although I've been here for quite few years but I'm still not really familiar with the business atmosphere. My father had a construction business overseas, so I kind of have experience in managing, dealing with customers..... but in terms of advertising, I got no clue.
Helpppppp!!!!!!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Any Suggestions About Advertising For A New Business?

What you do for advertising is going to be driven by what services you offer and your target market. What do you do and what is your focus?

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthFriendly View Post
Hey guys, it's me again. I know you guys are very helpful, that's why I want to ask you a favor.
Hey. Don't be a shy and a softie. You will surely get taken advantage of. Whatever you want to do business wise, jump feet first into it! so you protect your head. Just go for it with confidence and act like you know what you are talking about when you talk it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
What you do for advertising is going to be driven by what services you offer and your target market. What do you do and what is your focus?
My focus is green construction. As far as for the target market, I'm looking for homeowners and businesses such as restaurants, retail shops....
So how do you think I should proceed?

Last edited by EarthFriendly; 11-03-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Hey. Don't be a shy and a softie. You will surely get taken advantage of. Whatever you want to do business wise, jump feet first into it! so you protect your head. Just go for it with confidence and act like you know what you are talking about when you talk it. Good luck.
I'm not shy just polite lol. Is it a bad thing?
Any suggestions about advertising?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Spend a couple days going through the marketing and business threads here.

You could run a he## of a business if you follow the advice on the threads. Most people don't and never will but it's all great stuff and the folks here have spent a lot of time giving input and advice.

The advice in the threads is based on time tested real world procedures.

Awesome stuff!

Mike
Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Plumbing View Post
Spend a couple days going through the marketing and business threads here.

You could run a he## of a business if you follow the advice on the threads. Most people don't and never will but it's all great stuff and the folks here have spent a lot of time giving input and advice.

The advice in the threads is based on time tested real world procedures.

Awesome stuff!

Mike
Thanks Mike.
I've been going through some threads here, just a lot of information. I wanted to ask for the most effective ways from your experiences.
I'll check out more threads and see where it takes me
Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Thanks Mike.
I've been going through some threads here, just a lot of information. I wanted to ask for the most effective ways from your experiences.
I'll check out more threads and see where it takes me
The most effective thing you can do right now is to define who you are. WRITE IT DOWN, and create a business model.

You can not really create a great strategy without first having a clearly defined business model. If you advertise what would you say? See what I'm getting at.

Most people never do this and they end up blowing a lot of money on advertising that produces sub-standard results.

Coke knows exactly who they are and what they do, it's very very clear. The strategy is how marketing is created. Otherwise your rolling the dice.

Mike
Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services

Quote:
I'm not shy just polite lol. Is it a bad thing?
Any suggestions about advertising?
There's a fine line between being shy and polite. Try polite with confidence. Advertising? I don't know what really works nowadays, but when you get your first client, take many photos and start build a portfolio. You could also offer that first client some sort of reward for a referral. It is hard to strike momentum in construction, you may want to work for others to see how they do it. Once you do get the clients, don't take it for granted; constantly promote your company until you either have to refuse work or re-adjust your working model..
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #10

Trade: hvac and refrigeration

just curios , what makes you think a resturaunt owner cares about "green building" " damn , i guess i have to download spellchecker .
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacrman View Post
just curios , what makes you think a resturaunt owner cares about "green building" " damn , i guess i have to download spellchecker .
we got few restaurants in here and NY that were built green!
Are you still curious? lol
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #12

Trade: hvac and refrigeration

ok , i lived in portland , or seattle , wa , and most of my life so cal. i know of only 1 resturaunt owner went with solar panels , he was great guy mellow. but all the other owners i have met only care about keeping costs down , and those are very liberal places especially so cal. times must be changin
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacrman View Post
ok , i lived in portland , or seattle , wa , and most of my life so cal. i know of only 1 resturaunt owner went with solar panels , he was great guy mellow. but all the other owners i have met only care about keeping costs down , and those are very liberal places especially so cal. times must be changin
Some people think differently. They might spend a little bit more at the beginning, but with building green, they save money on bills for the long term. Whatever I said about the restaurants here is true because I heard it from a big contractor who's in the business for the past 35 years.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #14

Trade: Business Development
Rewards Points: 75

I live in NYC and I've seen a handful of restuarants advertising being green, people eat that stuff up here and in neighbooring suburbs. It's a growing concern here, so much that people want to leave less of a carbon foot print so eating at these restaurants has become somewhat popular, I'm still an eat meat 6 nights a week type guy but you have to role with the trends!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #15

Trade: Residential Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Whether it is shops, restaurants, houses- etc-- people are becoming more and more concerned about how their lifestyles are impacting the environment. I think given enough time- specializing in green building is going to be a huge growth niche. As for the advertising advice, I think Mike's response nailed it- spend a little time working out a business plan so you know exactly who you want to reach with your advertising- and then limit your advertising to the places where you can find your target customer.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #16
California Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Hey guys, it's me again. I know you guys are very helpful, that's why I want to ask you a favor. How do I advertise for my new business? It's my first time doing business in USA, although I've been here for quite few years but I'm still not really familiar with the business atmosphere. My father had a construction business overseas, so I kind of have experience in managing, dealing with customers..... but in terms of advertising, I got no clue.
Helpppppp!!!!!!!
start with a website?- maybe you already have one, or you can read the book called "Get Clients Now!"-2009, that book will give you a good basic head start.

Advertisement