Angie's List Fake Reviews - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Angie's List Fake Reviews

Old 12-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
El Conquistador

Trade: Master Electrician
Rewards Points: 166

Angie's List Fake Reviews

Have you ever had someone drop a fake review bomb on you in Angie's List?
I'm not a huge fan of Angie's List. I tolerate it. I tried advertising on AL years ago and it was an expensive abysmal failure.

My business has a pretty good reputation around town. I might get 8-10 AL calls per year. Today I get that "Your business has a new review" email.
I go on see my new review is an "F". Not only is it an F, but it's from someone I've never heard of in my life.
I'm a lone gunman. Not much gets by me in the course of business.
This clown giving me the F says I didn't respond to his email. I went back and checked my email for the entire month of November. Nothing from this joker.

So, one moron claims he didn't get a reply to an email (a real reliable communication medium to begin with ) and they get to tarnish your hard earned reputation?
It would be different if this were a real customer and they had some reason to really be pissed at me.
36 "A" reviews, 1 "B", and then this joker comes along with an "F".

I'm thinking of just pulling my stuff off of there if they don't fix this.
Has anyone ever "done battle" with Angie's List on a bogus review? Any tips?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to nunya01 For This Useful Post:
NJPainter (03-13-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Re: Angie's List Fake Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
Have you ever had someone drop a fake review bomb on you in Angie's List?
I'm not a huge fan of Angie's List. I tolerate it. I tried advertising on AL years ago and it was an expensive abysmal failure.

My business has a pretty good reputation around town. I might get 8-10 AL calls per year. Today I get that "Your business has a new review" email.
I go on see my new review is an "F". Not only is it an F, but it's from someone I've never heard of in my life.
I'm a lone gunman. Not much gets by me in the course of business.
This clown giving me the F says I didn't respond to his email. I went back and checked my email for the entire month of November. Nothing from this joker.

So, one moron claims he didn't get a reply to an email (a real reliable communication medium to begin with ) and they get to tarnish your hard earned reputation?
It would be different if this were a real customer and they had some reason to really be pissed at me.

I'm thinking of just pulling my stuff off of there if they don't fix this.
Has anyone ever "done battle" with Angie's List on a bogus review? Any tips?
Yup and now my company can no longer be found on there. It's the best thing that's happened to my business.

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,342

Quote:
What are you worried abnout an "F" for not returning emails when you have 36 A's and 1 B?...

Just put a response that you've never received an email from said person, but then be proactive and place your number...

I think you are worried about nothing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (01-08-2015), NYgutterguy (12-31-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 7,020

The fact that there is someone out there that would pass up someone with 36a's and 1 B because of a lack of phone call or estimate and received an F due to such excuse defies normal rational thinking IMO.
Most people would prob see that the person that gave an F as a total Dick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Chopsaw Chick (02-02-2015), KAP (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,996

Ask him to resend the exact email. If he doesnt produce it then sue him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (01-09-2015), Tom Struble (02-02-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

We have the same sorta thing here in Canada called Homestars, I have a good rating on there, about a year or so ago a "lady" give me a 3/10 rating because I couldn't meet her at her home at 10am on a Tuesday, I was on a chimney rebuild, I called Homestars who removed the review as work was never carried out for her. Some people love to bitch and moan about anything. Call A.L and ask for personal info so you can contact them or you and your contractor buddies on there will walk.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

I hate customers that get moody leave bad reviews because they call at 9 at night and want you to come out the next morning and don't understand you have other jobs lined up.

Just had a customer get made because I wasnt coming out new years day to do a consult.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

How legitimate are all the positive reviews?
So it works both ways.
For example in above mentioned Homestars, there are contractors that have over 400 or 500 reviews with average 9.9 rating.
Seriously, thousands and thousands of perfectly satisfied consumers,
receiving a perfect 10 service?
I think consumers are slightly more savvy these days, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
El Conquistador

Each of the + reviews are from actual customers.

After hem-hawing around, Angie's List says they will not remove the fake review. I've simmered down a little, but I'm not over it yet.
When reputation is all you've got, it sucks for somebody to come by and wrong you on a whim.

The more I think about the ridiculousness of it all, I'd be willing to bet it's a competitor or a competitors buddy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nunya01 For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (01-07-2015), NJPainter (03-13-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

When I heard of angie list I thought how stupid. Luckily word of mouth has kept me busy for years through all seasons. The way i see it, one F will kill 30 A's. One of the biggest rules in business
Old 01-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
El Conquistador

I had an old boss who used to say, "It takes a lotta 'atta boy's to cancel out one 'oh ****!'."
The Following User Says Thank You to nunya01 For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,342

Quote:
Each of the + reviews are from actual customers.

After hem-hawing around, Angie's List says they will not remove the fake review. I've simmered down a little, but I'm not over it yet.
When reputation is all you've got, it sucks for somebody to come by and wrong you on a whim.

The more I think about the ridiculousness of it all, I'd be willing to bet it's a competitor or a competitors buddy.
On what did Angies list base that on? Didn't you provide them with any documentation? Your service provider might be able to give you a statement as to whether or not the guys email ever hit your account...

But honestly... the one you are referring to will hardly have an impact especially if it is negated by the fact that you return actual prospects calls/emails...

.IMHO... move on...
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
El Conquistador

"I" am my email service provider. I did pull the exim logs from the middle of October until the middle of December. Nada. Spamassasin didn't get it either.
I also do not publicly advertise an email address. Mainly because of the amount of spam that would pour in.
I told them that. I also told them what we all know - email isn't the most reliable form of communication due to spam filters, human error, ISP outages, etc...
As a rational person, if I do not get a response to an email in a timely manner, I will pick up the phone and call them (I'm more apt to do business on the phone anyway).
Old 01-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Drywall, painting, Builder
Rewards Points: 66

I agree with those that say not to worry. It makes your other reviews more legitimate. Most people would assume the person typed your email address wrong.

Reasonable people will not take it seriously. Think of it as a potential client filter to weed out unreasonable customers.

Congratulations on all the positive reviews.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

I would definitely hound AL to either get that review taken down or have the 'customer' provide proof of an email sent. I don't use AL (and never will, but that's a rant for another thread). Are you allowed to respond to a review on AL? Something along the lines of "I would like to rectify this situation, but repeated requests for original email proof has gone ignored".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Ask him to resend the exact email. If he doesnt produce it then sue him.
I've been hearing of people getting sued for slander for posting fake, bad reviews on sites. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #16
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,426

I found bad reviews magically disappeared after I was paying them fees. And then come back when canceled.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #17

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 12

I had the same thing happen. I don't have nearly as many reviews as you but I do have an A rating.I responded to the review stating that they must have me confused with someone else. I even suggested another contractor with a similar business name who I thought they might be talking about. I sent an email to Angies List asking them to remove it. They replied saying to check my records and make sure we didn't forget we talked to them, talked to someone else in the family, etc. I replied that I am the only person in the company doing sales calls, hadn't been to that town in years, and didn't even do the kind of work they were complaining about. They said they would contact the member and get back to me. I then sent an email to the sales rep who has been trying to sell me a premium listing. He said he would follow up. After a week and a half I sent another email saying that this is exactly why angies list has such a bad reputation with contractors and I was about to go on a tirade to see if I could make it worse. They took down the review.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #18
El Conquistador

I went through all the proper channels and Angie's List refused to take down the false review. I did ask them if the jerk who left the review could provide evidence that he even emailed me. I did due diligence on my end and found no evidence of an email.
Apparently the review doesn't have as much "weight" because I didn't do business with this ass-hat. I'm kind of glad I didn't have to deal with this clown. Anybody that goes off leaving ****ty reviews over an alleged email is probably a "whole lot of fun" to work with.
The "F" review has since been buried by more "A" reviews, so I'm going to just let it be. Here is the response I posted:

The simple fact of the matter is this: I did not receive an email from this individual. I pulled email records from mid-October through mid-December and verified. Email is not a reliable form of communication. From spam filters to server failures to ISP outages - there is a lot that can go wrong. This is just one of the reasons I DO NOT publish an email address for the general public. That, and the fact that I would be inundated with spam.
As a rational person, if I do not receive a reply to an email in a timely manner, I would pick up the phone and call them. That is why I believe this review was malicious in intent; probably from a competitor or a competitorís friend acting at their behest. It is a shame that someone, acting on a whim, can soil the good reputation I have worked so hard to earn.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #19

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 12

sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on. It does point out why improving the standing of your own website is a better way to go.

Advertisement