Alternitive To Lead Services Like Thumbtack Or Home - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Alternitive To Lead Services Like Thumbtack Or Home

Old 05-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6

Alternitive To Lead Services Like Thumbtack Or Home

I have used Home Advisor in the past and was not impressed. The issue was I would get to many leads that were just kicking the tires. The incentives don't seem to be weighed in favor of the contractor.

How would an ideal service like home advisor to work. Would you be willling to pay more for leads if you only paid when you made a sale? How would you like a service like that to operate?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8

Re: Alternitive To Lead Services Like Thumbtack Or Home

In my experiences in South Florida:

Thumbtack is pure garbage. The lowest of the lowest and cheapest of cheap are on that platform, they don't vet their reviewers at all, anyone is allowed to leave a review, even if they never hired you, some lady left me a 1* review because I was not interested in looking at her job. Thumbtack wouldn't remove it.

HomeAdvisor is a bit more expensive per lead than Thumbtack, but they have much better leads and they actually vet their reviewers, not just anyone can leave a review to trash you because they were mad at you for some random reason. HomeAdvisor is very hit or miss though. You have to spend a lot of money on there because more than half the leads are total BS, the other 40% are decent, and of those 40% maybe half are actually good leads. But every once in awhile there are some truly great leads on HomeAdvisor. Thumbtack is complete and utter trash however. There are no good leads there.

Advertisement

Last edited by FLM86; 08-18-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precise Build View Post
How would an ideal service like home advisor to work. Would you be willling to pay more for leads if you only paid when you made a sale? How would you like a service like that to operate?
There is a service like this called Sweeten, but they are only in a select few markets. You only pay for a lead when you get a job, but they take 5 or 6% of the sale on the first $100,000 and then every dollar after that first $100,000 they take 2.5%.

Not sure if I like that so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLM86 View Post
There is a service like this called Sweeten, but they are only in a select few markets. You only pay for a lead when you get a job, but they take 5 or 6% of the sale on the first $100,000 and then every dollar after that first $100,000 they take 2.5%.

Not sure if I like that so much.
All lead gen companies have terms that are completely in their favor, and basically give them the right to do whatever the heck they want down the road.

They use to say US, then the world, but now everyone is even getting greedy they want to cover lead gen throughout the universe ....

https://sweeten.com/terms-of-use

You do, however, hereby irrevocably grant us and our sublicensees and assignees a non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, royalty-free, freely sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license to modify, compile, combine with other content, copy, record, synchronize, transmit, translate, format, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, and otherwise use or exploit (including for profit) any and all of your User Content, your Sign-In Name (or username if you sign in with a social media account), the picture associated with your account, and all intellectual property and moral rights therein throughout the universe, in each case, by or in any means, methods, media, or technology now known or hereafter devised. Without limiting the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that uses of your User Content, Sign-In Name/username, and associated picture permitted by the foregoing rights and licenses may include the display of such User Content, Sign-In Name/username, and associated picture adjacent to advertising and other material or content, including for profit.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #5

Trade: Marketing consultant
Rewards Points: 4

Why not produce the leads yourself?
From my experience working with some folks, most times the leads you get from these leads providers are BS. The same Thumbtack, homeadvisor, Angies and many more get their leads from advertising on Google.
If you want to do this in-house, here is what to do:
1. Create a landing page where you will collect data (name, email and phone number)
2. Create a autoresponder which you'll connect to no. 1. A good one to use is Getresponse.com. The job of this is to help you automate followup messages once a prospects gives you his/her data.
3. Create a compelling ads and run the ads to your landing page.
So, whenever some one clicks on your ads, they will land on the landing page to submit their details, you would instantly get the data in your email. Your sales team can instantly pickup the person's phone number enquire more and probably close the deal.

With this approach, you are in control of your lead generation and you are not competing with any other contractor on Thumbtack or Homeadvisor.
I hope you find this helpful