Ad Headlines - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Ad Headlines

Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Ad Headlines

With all the recent stuff about postcards I thought it would be good to start a headline bank to share. Please add to it with you favorite headlines or ones that have worked for you in the past.

Five Common Remodeling Contractor Problems -- Which Do You Want To Avoid?
How I Improved My Construction Quality With One Phone Call
A Challenge To Property Managers Who Would Never Dream Of Changing Contractors
Everywhere Property Managers Are Raving About An Innovative New Repair Contractor!
Six Kinds Of Remodeling Problems -- Which Ones Are Biting You In The Butt?
Does Your Current Remodeling Contractor Ever Infuriate You?
The Biggest Problems You’ll Have With Most Remodeling Contractors…And How H&S Overcomes Them All.
To People Who Want The Best Remodeling Contractor -- But Aren’t Sure How To Judge Them
Hire No Remodeling Contractor -- Until You’ve Carefully Reviewed Our “Homeowners Checklist for Sucessful Remodeling.”
Can You Spot These 5 Common Remodeling Contractor Problems?
Make This 1-Minute Comparison -- Of Your Current Remodeling Contractor To H&S Construction
Nobody Should Be Allowed To Hire A Remodeling Contractor Until They’ve Reviewed This Guide At Least 7 Times
What Everybody Ought To Know About Hiring A Remodeling Contractor
Free Report -- Tells You Twelve Areas Where Remodeling Contractors Cut Corners
The #1 Most Common Goof When Hiring A Remodeling Contractor
Local Remodeling Contractors: Which Ones Actually Work Out...And Which Ones Are Guaranteed To Aggravate You, Cost A Fortune, And Leave Your Property Looking WORSE
Three Fairy Tales You'll Hear From Remodeling Contractors... Even Honest Ones
The 4 Biggest Mistakes Remodeling Contractors Make—That You Might Not Even Notice
A Dozen Dirty Tricks Of Remodeling Contractors. Most Are Totally Undetectable--Unless You Know What To Look For
5 Ways Even Good Remodeling Contractors Steal From Clients
I Was Shocked And Embarrassed When I Found Out That Remodeling Contractors Were One Of The Most Complained About Industries according To The BBB
I Have Created What I Consider To Be The Perfect, Home Owner Friendly Remoldeling Company... Take 90 Seconds To See If You Agree
Four Critical Characteristics To Demand From Your Remodeling Contractor... Does Yours Do These?
Should A Home Owner Give A New Remodeling Contractor Like Us A Shot?
Make Sure Your Remodeling Contractor Complies With These 17 Points From The 2010 “Home owners Checklist For Successful Remodeling”
Six Closely Guarded Secrets Of Remodeling Contractors... Revealed At Long Last
Four Quick Questions Will Reveal A Remodeling Contractors” Operating Philosophy. Ask Them, And Save.
What The Remodeling Contractors Don’t Want You To Know
What Nobody Ever Tells You About Hiring A Remodeling Contractor.
Advice To Home Owners Whose remodeling Contractors Aren’t Certified -- By A Home Owner
Whose Fault Is It When Remodeling Contractors Disappoint?
Do You Have These Symptoms Of “Sucky Carpenter?”
Do You Really Want The Lowest Bidding Remodeling Contractor To Swinging a Hammer In Your Home?
Home Owners Who 'Know It All' Are Not Invited To Read This Page
If You Were Given $200,000 To Spend, Isn't This The Kind Of Remodeling Company You Would Build?
The 4 Things Remodeling Contractors Do To Rip You Off, And The 3 Things They Do To Ensure You Don’t Notice
How To Drastically Improve Remodeling Quality Without Raising The Price By A Penny
Been Using The Same Carpenter For Years? See No Reason To Change? Read This And Re-Think That Decision…
If Your Remodeling Contractor Goofs, Your Property Could Be Screwed. How To Protect Yourself--Takes Just 3 Seconds
7 Fast Ways To Evaluate A Remodeling Contractor...Just By Looking At Their Website
The Average Remodeling Job Has $1,800 In Phony Charges. Take These 3 Defensive Measures, And You'll Catch The Problems Before They Happen
5 Overlooked Contractor Problems That Plague Home Owners
The 4 Grim Facts Of Life About Remodeling Problems: Don't Hire A Contractor Until You Memorize Them
Save Money By Knowing How Remodeling Contractors Dupe You Into Paying Hidden Upcharges
Should You Sue Your Remodeling Contractor? If The Job Lasts Less Than 5 Years, The Answer Is YES
Kitchen Remodel Quality: Two Questions That Other Contractors Hope You'll Never Ask Them
There’s Two “Schools Of Thought” When Remodeling A Home: One Costs You 1 ½ Times More Than The Other…For Inferior Results. Which Do You Prefer?
There Are 75 Contractors Within 25 Miles of Blairstown Who Remodel Kitchens...But Only One of Them Was Specifically Designed and Equipped To Be Certified Dust Free.
Here’s What To Expect From A Remodeling Contractor Specifically Geared Toward Kitchen Renovations (Your Contractor May Not Be Following These High Standards.)
How Much Should You Pay For A Good Kitchen Remodel?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Est modus in rebus

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Ad Headlines

What Makes The Perfect Advertisement?
The secrets successful advertisers and marketers don't want you to know.
Here are the seven pearls-of-wisdom you need to know in order to open
the doors of opportunity by creating the perfect Ad for generating quality
home improvement job leads...

Click Here

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,516

"Do you have these symptoms of a sucky contractor" aye yay yay. It's never a good idea to use words that you wouldn't "kiss your Grandma" with. I am not saying we don't use em, it's just knowing when to use em.

How about "five things about _____________ but were afaraid to ask. Call __________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

If you're putting any of that stuff on a post card you'd be wasting your money. Keep it simple. If it's a post card it is going to be looked at by somebody who has a problem that they need solved by hiring somebody to do the work.

If you're a deck builder your head line should be "Deck Building"

If you're a painter your head line should be "House Painting"

If you're a concrete driveway guy your head line should be "Concrete Driveways"

Put what you do on the head line so somebody looking at your post card can instantly know what it is you are selling. Some body who needs a new driveway and has been thinking about it is going to see "Concrete Driveways" and instantly be remided about the driveway they need and might look at the post card. The same person seeing on a post card any of those wierd headlines you listed is going to toss your card in the trash because they aren't going to waste their time with your wild goose chase.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 06-21-2010 at 08:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
buddy110 (06-22-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
If you're putting any of that stuff on a post card you'd be wasting your money. Keep it simple. If it's a post card it is going to be looked at by somebody who has a problem that they need solved by hiring somebody to do the work.

If you're a deck builder your head line should be "Deck Building"

If you're a painter your head line should be "House Painting"

If you're a concrete driveway guy your head line should be "Concrete Driveways"

Put what you do on the head line so somebody looking at your post card can instantly know what it is you are selling. Some body who needs a new driveway and has been thinking about it is going to see "Concrete Driveways" and instantly be remided about the driveway they need and might look at the post card. The same person seeing on a post card any of those wierd headlines you listed is going to toss your card in the trash because they aren't going to waste their time with your wild goose chase.
I agree with Mr. Finley. Any post card, flyer, letter, anything that gets in front of your client or prospective client needs to get your message across in less than 1.5 seconds --- I call it the Billboard Rule --- as in going 70 miles an hour down the highway and you see a billboard.

No one wants to slam on the brakes and read your freakin message no matter how "heart felt" and "helpful" you think it is. Remember that headlines on a newspaper are there to MAKE you buy and read the paper --- not to articulate some philosophical dissertation.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Pro

I think your idea of what a headline should read, i.e "Kitchen Remodel" will attract the now buyers but will leave the other 90% of buyers out in the cold. Offering some information and solving their fears of contacting someone may pay off ten fold. I would love for everyone who called me to be ready to go, but that is a pipe dream. I would rather take a pool of 50-60 prospects and nurture them to the sale, then to get 3 or 4 who are ready to buy this instant.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSConstruction View Post
I think your idea of what a headline should read, i.e "Kitchen Remodel" will attract the now buyers but will leave the other 90% of buyers out in the cold. Offering some information and solving their fears of contacting someone may pay off ten fold. I would love for everyone who called me to be ready to go, but that is a pipe dream. I would rather take a pool of 50-60 prospects and nurture them to the sale, then to get 3 or 4 who are ready to buy this instant.
Are you serious? That's just bizarre to me. No offense.

Advertising is to generate a lead which leads to a sale.

Branding is to generate a presence of mind in the marketplace which will make your advertising more effective.

Branding is done through repetition. You are confusing the results of branding with your headline campaign.

You are mixing up the idea of spending money on marketing that doesn't yield a phone call right away. With branding the person doesn't call because they don't have an immediate need. With your headline thing, the person doesn't call because they throw your marketing away.

The branding will pay off when the prospect has a need and they are visited again by your marketing with the message I talked about. Your headline campaign will not pay off, because when the prospect is ready with an immediate need, he is going to get hit again with your head line thing and throw it away and go find the nice shiney sparkly marketing in his mail box that solves his immediate need.

Now if you think your answer around this is to say, well I would do a combination of those headlines and then a call to action like you said also, well that doesn't make any sense cause if you are doing one or the other 50% of the time, you're wasting 50% on those headlines and your marketing is being short circuited by only the call to action pieces being looked at.

Look at it this way -

You send out a marketing piece every month that says "House Painter" the prospect sees it but doesn't care because he doesn't have the need. 5 months later your next one shows up and his wife that weekend said, we should start thinking about painting the house. He gets your "House Painter" piece and notices you could solve his problem. He throws your piece away.

A couple months later his wife now has been saying my mom is coming to stay with us for a week and we really need to have the house painted before she gets here so it looks nice.

Your piece arrives that month and it says "House Painter" and he recognizes it and recognizes you could solve his problem. He might now save the piece or call you.

On the other hand, do it your way with those headlines that never get read.

You send them out every month and every month they get thrown away.

The guys wife keeps saying we need to paint the house. He keeps putting it off. Meanwhile month after month he has been throwing away your headline pieces cause he could care less about the subject and he has never read them.

Suddenly your competition starts sending out "House Painter" post cards.

Our homeowner's wife drops the bomb on him about his mother in law coming, he gets your competitors "house Painter" card, guess who he is calling?

My waring is don't confuse good branding advertising that gets noticed with crappy marketing that doesn't ever get read.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 06-22-2010 at 08:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
buddy110 (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Pro

So you are saying these are not worth the paper they are printed on?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
With all the recent stuff about postcards I thought it would be good to start a headline bank to share. Please add to it with you favorite headlines or ones that have worked for you in the past.

Five Common Remodeling Contractor Problems -- Which Do You Want To Avoid?
How I Improved My Construction Quality With One Phone Call
A Challenge To Property Managers Who Would Never Dream Of Changing Contractors
Everywhere Property Managers Are Raving About An Innovative New Repair Contractor!
Six Kinds Of Remodeling Problems -- Which Ones Are Biting You In The Butt?
Does Your Current Remodeling Contractor Ever Infuriate You?
The Biggest Problems You’ll Have With Most Remodeling Contractors…And How H&S Overcomes Them All.
To People Who Want The Best Remodeling Contractor -- But Aren’t Sure How To Judge Them
Hire No Remodeling Contractor -- Until You’ve Carefully Reviewed Our “Homeowners Checklist for Sucessful Remodeling.”
Can You Spot These 5 Common Remodeling Contractor Problems?
Make This 1-Minute Comparison -- Of Your Current Remodeling Contractor To H&S Construction
Nobody Should Be Allowed To Hire A Remodeling Contractor Until They’ve Reviewed This Guide At Least 7 Times
What Everybody Ought To Know About Hiring A Remodeling Contractor
Free Report -- Tells You Twelve Areas Where Remodeling Contractors Cut Corners
The #1 Most Common Goof When Hiring A Remodeling Contractor
Local Remodeling Contractors: Which Ones Actually Work Out...And Which Ones Are Guaranteed To Aggravate You, Cost A Fortune, And Leave Your Property Looking WORSE
Three Fairy Tales You'll Hear From Remodeling Contractors... Even Honest Ones
The 4 Biggest Mistakes Remodeling Contractors Make—That You Might Not Even Notice
A Dozen Dirty Tricks Of Remodeling Contractors. Most Are Totally Undetectable--Unless You Know What To Look For
5 Ways Even Good Remodeling Contractors Steal From Clients
I Was Shocked And Embarrassed When I Found Out That Remodeling Contractors Were One Of The Most Complained About Industries according To The BBB
I Have Created What I Consider To Be The Perfect, Home Owner Friendly Remoldeling Company... Take 90 Seconds To See If You Agree
Four Critical Characteristics To Demand From Your Remodeling Contractor... Does Yours Do These?
Should A Home Owner Give A New Remodeling Contractor Like Us A Shot?
Make Sure Your Remodeling Contractor Complies With These 17 Points From The 2010 “Home owners Checklist For Successful Remodeling”
Six Closely Guarded Secrets Of Remodeling Contractors... Revealed At Long Last
Four Quick Questions Will Reveal A Remodeling Contractors” Operating Philosophy. Ask Them, And Save.
What The Remodeling Contractors Don’t Want You To Know
What Nobody Ever Tells You About Hiring A Remodeling Contractor.
Advice To Home Owners Whose remodeling Contractors Aren’t Certified -- By A Home Owner
Whose Fault Is It When Remodeling Contractors Disappoint?
Do You Have These Symptoms Of “Sucky Carpenter?”
Do You Really Want The Lowest Bidding Remodeling Contractor To Swinging a Hammer In Your Home?
Home Owners Who 'Know It All' Are Not Invited To Read This Page
If You Were Given $200,000 To Spend, Isn't This The Kind Of Remodeling Company You Would Build?
The 4 Things Remodeling Contractors Do To Rip You Off, And The 3 Things They Do To Ensure You Don’t Notice
How To Drastically Improve Remodeling Quality Without Raising The Price By A Penny
Been Using The Same Carpenter For Years? See No Reason To Change? Read This And Re-Think That Decision…
If Your Remodeling Contractor Goofs, Your Property Could Be Screwed. How To Protect Yourself--Takes Just 3 Seconds
7 Fast Ways To Evaluate A Remodeling Contractor...Just By Looking At Their Website
The Average Remodeling Job Has $1,800 In Phony Charges. Take These 3 Defensive Measures, And You'll Catch The Problems Before They Happen
5 Overlooked Contractor Problems That Plague Home Owners
The 4 Grim Facts Of Life About Remodeling Problems: Don't Hire A Contractor Until You Memorize Them
Save Money By Knowing How Remodeling Contractors Dupe You Into Paying Hidden Upcharges
Should You Sue Your Remodeling Contractor? If The Job Lasts Less Than 5 Years, The Answer Is YES
Kitchen Remodel Quality: Two Questions That Other Contractors Hope You'll Never Ask Them
There’s Two “Schools Of Thought” When Remodeling A Home: One Costs You 1 ½ Times More Than The Other…For Inferior Results. Which Do You Prefer?
There Are 75 Contractors Within 25 Miles of Blairstown Who Remodel Kitchens...But Only One of Them Was Specifically Designed and Equipped To Be Certified Dust Free.
Here’s What To Expect From A Remodeling Contractor Specifically Geared Toward Kitchen Renovations (Your Contractor May Not Be Following These High Standards.)
How Much Should You Pay For A Good Kitchen Remodel?

Ahhh, Rick Harshaw
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Pro

correct
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
correct

Word of advice; Save your money, it doesn't work
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Pro

All I can tell you is I'll put my marketing and advertising degree and 20 years of generating ridiculous amounts of qualified leads in every business I've been involved with and generating millions and millions of dollars of sales all generated on what I said above.

Maybe others are doing better, but I know what I do and I know that I have always had more leads then I can possibly handle.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
I know what I do and I know that I have always had more leads then I can possibly handle.
With all those leads, how have you had the time to rack up over 12,000 posts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handyhands For This Useful Post:
Merbs (06-27-2010), nlgutters (06-23-2010)
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Pro

Mike,
I am happy to hear that you have no problem with leads, but I am sure that there is more than one way to market. I have done the simple postcard as you describe with "kitchens, one call does it all, Call Today." Unfortunately I appear to be just another guy who has a truck and a hammer. The goal of these headlines and postcards is to set ourselves apart from the 75-100 contractors in the immediate area sending this type of message. A little wordsmithing and some actual content, in my opinion, could be the difference between getting the call or loosing it to the next guy. How it pans out, we will see. To shoot it down while its on the drawing table because that's not what you were taught in school or not what you do is kinda arrogant. If I wanted to be just like everyone else I would have a 9-5 and bitch about my boss. I and most of the others on this site decided to buck the system and take a huge risk by starting our own gigs. Removing the security of going to the same place every day and the safety net of U.I. To me this is the same thing, if everyone does something, I want to do something different to stand out.

Who knows this may flop and be a waste of money, BUT I am willing to try it to find out. I am sure with your marketing you have run tests to see what works and what doesn't... right?

Can you post an example of the postcard that works for you?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
To shoot it down while its on the drawing table because that's not what you were taught in school or not what you do is kinda arrogant.
Arrogant? Again, this isn't coming from me reading out of a book what works or doesn't work, this isn't me telling you what I feel might work or doesn't work. I've been there, done that. Been advertising for over 20 years. My advertising budget last year was most likely 4X what 95% of the posters here earned last year as a paycheck. I'm giving you advice based on doing. We also are unlike 99% of anybody in this business. We track every call that comes in, source it to every lead source and analyze our leads, ROI by analyzing many facets by drilling down to each source and figuring out what costs we have with that source and profit ratios each source generates.

So arrogant? No, just basing things on facts and reality and experiences. Arrogance is saying what works and doesn't work with no experience which is most of what you will get here, which is typically somebody who once placed a free ad on craigslist voicing their opinion.

Quote:
Can you post an example of the postcard that works for you?
I already gave you an example of what works with postcards. It's much simpler then you want to believe. I explained it in detail already.

Also, I long ago stopped doing post card advertising. Not because you can't get results, which you can to some degree, and as I said you can by doing what I already outlined but was disregarded by you. But I don't do them anymore because there are other medias and methods with much higher ROI so why spend advertising budget on a much lower return on my investment?

Keep in mind by the time everybody is doing something, it's usually not worth doing anymore.

The proliferation of on line postcard design/mail services should tell you that the train has long left the station on that stuff. Secondly you should keep in mind that postage rates have risen dramatically since the days when all those things you have read about the great secret of post card advertising and how wonderful it is. Much of that does not contain any references to the fact that costs have risen 3 fold since then.

With return rates on postcard advertising below 1% why would you even bother? Combining it with those shoot yourself in the foot headlines and you'll see returns likely at 5 times less then normal. The problem with posts cards is 2 fold. #1 the high expense per impression. Problem #2 is the clutter you have to break through.

So is in order to break through the clutter you have to do expensive repeat mailings, preferable 12 times a year. When you multiply the high impression costs times the high quantities of mailings required the numbers hardly will ever make sense when you compare them to other ways to advertise.

However, I realize this is all a waste of time, cause you are just convinced that postcards are the answer and your 'unique' headlines are going to really make a difference. Go for it. It's your money to spend. You gotta start somewhere. Hopefully you're trying to figure out some other ways of gettting your company name out there at the same time you are doing this.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mike Finley; 06-23-2010 at 04:32 PM.