Actively Sourcing New Leads - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Actively Sourcing New Leads

Unread 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Trade: Bathroom Remodels, Paint and Tile
Rewards Points: 2

Actively Sourcing New Leads

Hey guys, I'm curious.. For those of you who actively seek out new clients, what methods do you find most effective?
I don't have a long history in construction(about two years full time and helped friends with drywall and paint off and on for 7 yrs before that) and find most of the older cats i know do next to zero marketing because they're back logged with referrals. Given that set of circumstances, I'm particularly interested in aggressive marketing and sourcing strategies.

Presently, I'm learning about social media and that is good for a few leads a month, I'm also on a neighborhood app called next door where i get some referrals, I go through craigslist(mostly to cover my bases, it's not so great on the return though), I've knocked doors, been the business card guy, and worked through my personal network asking for referrals(this generated a TON of opportunity and a TON of work through the first year in business but has slowed down).

Beyond those, what have you found to be effective?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

Re: Actively Sourcing New Leads

there is no magic potion.

takes time to build a stellar reputation & the clientele that comes with it.

get out & meet people....

from what i have heard guys are swamped with work in portland.

try contacting a guy on here "golden view".

he's a busy portland guy maybe he can help.

Advertisement

Golden view (03-01-2019)
Unread 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 5,890

Yeah I have tons going on and I don't consider competition a problem. More work than contractors, you just have to find it. What kind of projects are you hoping to do more of?
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

We've been working on building a portfolio of bathroom remodels and are looking to do more of those as well as tile work(my partner is especially interested as she is a killer tile person) and interior/exterior paint.

I found when we first got going, mining my personal network yielded quite a bit of work, and from that the referrals came, but they have slowed way down. Apparently a not so sustainable source of work, but it looked that way for a year. So, being new to owning my own contracting business, I assumed it would keep going and didn't take the opportunity to really expand the marketing side of our business.
Back when we hit the mountain of work, there were 4 guys working for us and even though marketing isn't my strong suit(sales is), i had time to suck at marketing enough hours a day to still make it work hahaha.
As it is now, I've gotten rid of a 3 of them for misconduct and drinking at work, and have put myself back into labor which has made it much more challenging for me to keep the phone ringing. I feel as though perhaps doing sub work(tile and paint) that can be handled by a 2/3 person team may be the right route to go to pump up our business while I get this marketing thing down.

If you've got ideas I'm more than appreciative of the information. We're hungry for more work, and i know it'll happen somehow. I've just got to get our momentum going again!

I know that's a bit more info than you asked for, but it's an honest assessment of the situation and my biggest business blunder so far hahaha.
Unread 03-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,880

Website

Sites4contractors.com

My phone rings alot...in a chimney business that is dead.
Unread 03-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCoveBrian View Post
...there were 4 guys working for us...
As it is now, I've gotten rid of a 3 of them for misconduct and drinking at work...
not to rain on your parade but you better figure out how to read people and hire a better caliber of employee....

i've hired plenty of guys out of bars and used to have a regular pick up in the mornings from the jail work release program...

going out on a limb here and guessing you were/are not paying a high end wage....

pretty typical you get what what you pay for....

you physically working is one of the best things that could happen to you so you have a real understanding of the business from the ground up...
Unread 03-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
not to rain on your parade but you better figure out how to read people and hire a better caliber of employee....

i've hired plenty of guys out of bars and used to have a regular pick up in the mornings from the jail work release program...

going out on a limb here and guessing you were/are not paying a high end wage....

you physically working is one of the best things that could happen to you so you have a real understanding of the business from the ground up...

I guess in some trades you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for workers.....I am thinking that it is repetitive manual labor type work. I have lost track of how many posters here complain about drinking, drugs, smoking, stealing and other similar stuff concerning their employees and subs.

Maybe this happens more in residential, but I think it occurs plenty in commercial too. Although with liability and OSHA fears on our commercial sites, I just haven't seen much if any of those problems.
Unread 03-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

how do you do it ?
what do you ask?

i`m 60 , still have rough time getting a good steady employee.
been through 8 -10 guys the last 6 months.
maybe i'm asking the wrong questions.
we do interior and exterior repairs ,
need guys clean cut, experienced ,
good with clients
tools and reliable transportation.
wife says i`m too nice .
i`m not a ball buster for sure , but i have no problem, telling a guy what i expect , or saying " your not doing a good enough job "
or letting someone go id they aren`t making me money
Unread 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #9

Basically the issue with that group of guys was I needed laborers real quickly, and I knew them fairly well, which I think made them feel more comfortable unfortunately.

Either way, it was a valuable learning experience and the only thing I can do is get our momentum going again and re-build it with the experience I now have. I'm maintaining a positive attitude about it.

Griz: Generally speaking I feel like I pay pretty well at $18 - $30 an hour. I got great work out of them until those problems became more than just after work problems.

JBM thanks for the referral. I'll take a look around the site!
Unread 03-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 5,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodspike View Post
how do you do it ?
what do you ask?

i`m 60 , still have rough time getting a good steady employee.
been through 8 -10 guys the last 6 months.
maybe i'm asking the wrong questions.
we do interior and exterior repairs ,
need guys clean cut, experienced ,
good with clients
tools and reliable transportation.
wife says i`m too nice .
i`m not a ball buster for sure , but i have no problem, telling a guy what i expect , or saying " your not doing a good enough job "
or letting someone go id they aren`t making me money
It can take more than 6 months for someone to be worthwhile. If you've let 8-10 go in that time, maybe that's the problem.
BearCoveBrian (03-07-2019)
Unread 03-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 703

Worthwhile in terms of production, or getting a return on your investment?

For the latter, I daresay most of us can come up with that judgement in the first 2-3 days. But the time spent in denial can be weeks, months, or even years.
Unread 03-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,880

[QUOTE=BearCoveBrian;7491373

JBM thanks for the referral. I'll take a look around the site![/QUOTE]

Itll be a very good decision.

Advertisement