Aaa - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Aaa

Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: general remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Aaa

Hi all you contractors out there! Hope everyone is keeping busy!

Me on the other hand not so much I guess. Sorry for being the millionth poster to this question but my question would be is how
I can go about finding steady leads/work home owners seeking...etc?
Ive been working in construction for over 11 years now and am still
having the same issues with this. I can take on a exterior paint job or small remodel but when Im done Ill be slow for a few months sometimes.
My main form of advertising is through flyers which I pass out from time to time. Word of mouth is always almost a guaranteed contract which is good but hardly steady.
Ive tried Angie's, Respond and Kelly's but they seem to take more money out of my pocket then they put back. So maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or going about this the whole wrong way? I was going to try to put a REALLY nice portfolio together with a bunch of pics from past jobs and try to find a builders list or something and send it out.
Partly it's my fault because I'm not too good with organization skills and not too good of a salesman at times either. My skills are in what I do and I consider myself pretty good at it too. I would treat a strip and re roof job the same as installing a sump pump when it comes to quality. It's hard to bid a job too because of that because I don't like to cheap out on materials or quality which makes me lose jobs to the guy that will not glue down his materials or buy the more expansive cement etc etc... I could go on and on but you guys know what I'm talking about.
Anyway sorry for going on and on so to sum it up I guess my question would be "How can I go about keeping steady work/leads, finding good quality leads residential or commercial?
As I said I've been doing this for over 11 years and it's supported me and my family with a few pit falls obviously or I wouldn't be here but I'd like to be able to pick and choose the jobs that come along instead of scrounging for anything that comes along.
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here trying to steal ideas or to get anyone angry for asking such a question so I'd love to hear of
your successes, what works or if not I get it if you cuss me out
Thanks in advance and I hope everyone stays busy and making $$

BTW I just started reading some posts here and from what Im learning is that a bunch of you are having success with yellow pages some with flyers (for the past six months Ive handed out about 5000 flyers with only 1 lead) it used to work as I would always get a job or 2 from flyers but lately nothing. Adwords on a website maybe? Mailing lists?
I wish I could just cut out the bidding process...joking!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Re: Aaa

Look at Spencers threads---He's going out on his own soon and getting some good advice from other members---

Do you have a niche that makes you the most money? What exactly do you do?

Hard for us to help you target an audience when you never mentioned any specialtiues or favorite types of work---

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
New Guy

Ok thanks I'll try to find that thread.
Id like to just get into exterior painting if I could keep steady work
coming in. Im also good with bathroom renos and basement waterproofing. I also have a real good roofing crew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna12365
coming in. Im also good with bathroom renos and basement waterproofing. I also have a real good roofing crew.
Allot depends on your market. My market is flooded with contractors roofers and painters are a dime a dozen legal and illegal. Market prices are what they were 20-25 years ago competition is brutal most HO"s getting 5-6 quotes for a $1500 dollar paint job to try and save $50 bucks so its not easy. If your really serious about getting more leads ya gotta work at it on a consistent basis. Website SEO, PPC, DM, and knocking in doors as well as BNI sponsoring Lille league etc. Exterior painting here is very seasonal weather can make or break ya so ya gotta work whatever days weather permits. Power washing is a good service to add as well or your case maybe handyman. All in all sometimes like now in my market it's just slow no matter what ya do. It's a good time to gear up for the busy(hopefully) season to come.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna12365 View Post
so you do 4 things

I recommend doing 1 thing....and picking a niche market in that one thing

be the guy who doesn't need to be the lowest bid....that's the trick you need to wrap your head around....all your jobs should be referral...if your not getting many maybe your customers aren't as happy with you as you think.

its a slow time of the year...all the cheap people come out of the wood work jan-march.....im only working 100-120 hours a month right now....100% of my work lately is referral

a good website is all I can suggest...spend tons of money and skip all other forms of advertising....a good website should get you a few calls a week
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
New Guy

Sounds good. Im gonna work on a web site then. I made this rinky dink one on google but will not use it. Ill hire a pro to do it for me. Ive never needed to advertise other than flyers and word of mouth but that seemed to dry up but as you guys are saying there is sooooo much competition out there I need to find a new method.

I try my best to make every job perfect and have no
call backs. I worked 6 years on this 1 street all thanks to a detective who sent the work my way. After that I've been hustling to find jobs and it's been kinda tough. I thought I was doing good but maybe not so otherwise Id be super busy.

I do the renovations/rough and finish carpentry myself
I work with a crew of 2 painting and have a roofing crew
plumber and electrician that I send work to when it comes around.

""""If your really serious about getting more leads ya gotta work at it on a consistent basis. Website SEO, PPC, DM, and knocking in doors as well as BNI sponsoring Lille league etc."""""

Can you explain this a little more seo, ppc, dm, BNI sponsoring Lille league?
Id love to get a few calls a week!!!!! That should land a few jobs a month hopefully.
Knocking on doors? Im nervous doing that but if that's what it takes I'll give anything a try or maybe find someone more charismatic than myself to do it for me.

BTW thanks for the criticism... Im willing to change what ever I have to to change my circumstances.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
New Guy

Also I think ppc is pay per click but cannot understand how that would bring calls to my phone.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
New Guy

Also I do like 10 things to try and keep busy. It's pretty crazy at times as you may understand. If I could keep busy with 1 thing I would just stick with that.
This is most likely where Im going wrong too.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 133

I would say a website and invest in SEO and PPC. done right its a good ROI. your missing alot if you dont have a site.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
New Guy

Can you explain a little more and who you use if anyone.
I kinda understand ppc not seo but ill look it up.
What I dont understand is who to go to to have this done
as there are probably many who just want to take my money
Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
New Guy

Google adwords?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

You cannot look up seo, its a method of ranking your website on search engines. If you need work now then stop pissing in the wind and beg borrow or steal money to have a pro make you a site. There are several good guys who post around here who can help you.

You are too far behind the curve to tackle this on your own, spring is coming and you will miss a whole season trying to do it on your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
vividpainting (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
New Guy

Thanks JBM
Thats what Im worried about. I've been on this site for the
last 3 days (almost all day too) trying to find the right
direction. Paying close attention to your and a few other(s) postings.

First thing first...Find someone here who can help me with a website

2nd Find out how to get that site in front of home owners who are
looking to have done what I do.

I feeling like Im pissing in the wind and your pretty smart to notice that
The Following User Says Thank You to anna12365 For This Useful Post:
JBM (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Make a post, I need a web guy send me a pm.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
New Guy

Working on that right now

Advertisement