Tiny Houses..

Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Historic Restoration
Rewards Points: 72
Question

Tiny Houses..

I'm venturing into a new area.

I'm hoping there are other contractors here that may take advantage of the surge in tiny house construction. I start my first very soon. Off grid, solar powered, on a mountain side here in New Hampshire.

This particular house will sit on a slab, I'm not interested in the wheeled versions. I'm playing with many designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karpenter For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,220

Re: Tiny Houses..

This is for yourself?
Personally, I have little to no interest in the tiny house fad. Small houses, definitely, tiny ...no.

How are you capitalizing on tiny houses? Isn't part of the whole notion of self sufficiency and therefore most build themselves?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

I think 1200 sqft when I think tiny.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016), dayexco (07-17-2016), mikeswoods (09-14-2016), Warren (07-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,828

Being on a slab defeats the whole point of being a temporary structure that doesn't need engineering or inspections. You are just building a small cabin/home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
chauit (08-08-2016), Philament (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

What's the cost of these vs getting something like a modular home?
The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
What's the cost of these vs getting something like a modular home?
Completely custom vs mass produced...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016), fjn (07-20-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Historic Restoration
Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post
This is for yourself?
Personally, I have little to no interest in the tiny house fad. Small houses, definitely, tiny ...no.

How are you capitalizing on tiny houses? Isn't part of the whole notion of self sufficiency and therefore most build themselves?
So far it's just one client. I'm building precisely what she wants.
I may or may not capitalize on the fad...it depends on many things. I am interested in what people have to say here.

Many communities here are changing code to accommodate the trend.
It may or may not be something I continue. There are builders of tiny houses popping up all over. Most are on wheels.
There are high winds at the elevation where the house would be, a slab makes more sense.

Last edited by Karpenter; 07-13-2016 at 09:20 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karpenter For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016), kapena (09-15-2016), VinylHanger (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I think 1200 sqft when I think tiny.
I don't mind 1200sf, as long as the garage is 6000sf.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m1911 For This Useful Post:
Billiam (09-13-2016), chauit (08-08-2016), MSLiechty (08-27-2016), sunkist (09-14-2016), wazez (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpenter View Post
So far it's just one client. I'm building precisely what she wants.
I may or may not capitalize on the fad...it depends on many things. I am interested in what people have to say here.

Many communities here are changing code to accommodate the trend.
It may or may not be something I continue. There are builders of tiny houses popping up all over. Most are on wheels.
There are high winds at the elevation where the house would be, a slab makes more sense.
Tiny house on wheels....sounds like a trailer...
Calidecks (07-14-2016), chauit (08-08-2016), dayexco (09-14-2016), SmallTownGuy (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Tiny house on wheels....sounds like a trailer...
I've observed this before (I think) in the other "tiny house" threads: a young couple gets an old travel trailer - one designed from the outset for efficiency and convenience.

Next, they knock it down to the frame, construct this rickety-azzed 2x4 framework, cover it in cedar shakes and asphalt shingles - PLUS a 7 ft wide "front porch", then do up an interior using conventional building materials.

When they're all done, they have this grossly overweight, unsafe for the highway monstrosity that they have to haul out that spiffy ladder to reach the lone bunk/loft bed - every damned night!

But they built it with their own two hands - or had "That guy named Banjo Bob with the ponytail and coke bottle caps stuck in his ear lobes" build it - so there's that "special feeling".

Anyway, I do get the underlying forces driving the Tiny House movement.

Young professionals have jobs that may require them to move 5, 10 times in their first few years after college.

Money doesn't go as far as it used to. Older empty nesters are facing the grim reality that they are not going to be able to afford the taxes, let alone the upkeep on the home that they raised the family in.

Finally, when you've lost your job and the best you can do is min wages at Wallyworld, its some comfort to know the bank won't be repossessing your Tiny House. The memory of the huge numbers of people that lost their homes in the 2009 era - that's going to stick around in the collective mindset of this nation.

I can think of several other reasons why folks would want a tiny dwelling - all good ones.

In this area, there are quite a few "Tiny Houses", left over from the Depression Era. I keep meaning to drag out the camera and snap some pics - someday, I'll get around to it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016), cwatbay (07-17-2016), deter (07-15-2016), Jaws (07-14-2016), KAP (09-14-2016), kapena (09-15-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
Pro

I think this goes along with micro homes. There are a number of prefab or kit micro homes - some very modern styles. The overall style and design choices are the most interesting, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Brickwork
Rewards Points: 1,200

Houses here seem to be getting even smaller.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ize-1920s.html
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
chauit (08-08-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
John the Builder

The average sq footage of new homes in this state (cannot speak for others) went down 20% right after 2009 - the peak year of the Great Recession. It has been slowly creeping back up, but still nowhere near the pre-recession footage.

There are strong forces at work here: most communities are zoned, and most zoned communities have a min sq footage of 1400.

They don't even allow for second dwellings generally -except by variance.

What's a hoot, is that in the Upper Peninsula, there are many, many permanent and "temp dwellings" (old travel trailers and the like), mostly because people in the lower peninsula go up there for vacations - summertime on the water, wintertime for hunting, snowmobiling and so on.

THOSE areas are damned glad for whatever tax base they can get so sq footage is overlooked. Hell, even proper bathrooms. "Just come up here folks, we love you all!"

Down here where I'm at, everyone thinks its Beverly Hills and practice NIMBY.

No easy answer.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #14
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 112

Just remember tiny doesn't mean cheaper - smaller you go the more the SF cost goes up. For some tips: http://thehtrc.com/2016/tiny-homes-things-to-consider

As for solar powered, I think there is a link in there under power but you will need to look at 12 volt lights probably to help reduce loads & hopefully you have some area around there to probably put another array (especially if they have a TV, etc...)
KAP (09-14-2016), Lettusbee (07-16-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #15

Trade: Landscaping & Irrigation
Rewards Points: 80

I think the main reason why so-called "tiny houses" are even possible is because they aren't houses at all-- they are trailers. Sure, they may look like houses, but they exploit a loophole by being built on trailer chassis, which makes them exempt from a whole bunch of building codes. The difference between building the same structure on a trailer frame and on the ground could be thousands of dollars due to the codes that come into play for the true house (the one on the ground). And that's just looking at the cost feasibility.

Many tiny homes are also attractive to the people who own them because of the claims of sustainability and efficiency. Even if they were willing to pay the extra money to build a tiny house on the ground, many construction codes seem to conspire against those who want a green house. Trust me, I've run up against this a lot lately as I'm planning a LEED Platinum home from the ground up. I've found I can only build my design in an area zoned as Agricultural or Industrial (depending on the counties I am considering), and definitely not within any city limits in those counties. Bottom line: expect code compliance to poke a hole in energy self-sufficiency and other "green" features.

I've never heard of a zoning law that specifies a minimum square footage, but many prohibit manufactured homes.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #16
John the Builder

Quote:
I think the main reason why so-called "tiny houses" are even possible is because they aren't houses at all-- they are trailers. Sure, they may look like houses, but they exploit a loophole by being built on trailer chassis, which makes them exempt from a whole bunch of building codes.
Makes them exempt from property taxes too - which tends to really pizz off the local tax boards.

Fella up the road from me raises a few feeder beef. Has one of those temp hooped structures - 30w by 60 long, has a stretched shrink-wrapped roof over hoops - I'm sure you've seen them. Anyways, its not on a foundation, so he doesn't pay taxes on a "permanent, property improving structure."

A jack-wad that was my boss at the airport I worked at decades ago, also had a place near where I am now. He kept his "organic" chickens in an old mobile home. Kept tools in other trailers. Did everything he could to make sure not one outbuilding was "permanent" - to avoid paying property taxes.

So the township passed a blight ordinance.

Anyway, my point is, you don't pay property taxes on wheel-mounted "Structures, which in turn, can create antagonistic relationships with tax boards, and causes communities to raise the bar on minimum square footage houses - to keep out the Beverly Hillbillies.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 738

Banjo Bob, ha ha ha.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Makes them exempt from property taxes too - which tends to really pizz off the local tax boards.

Fella up the road from me raises a few feeder beef. Has one of those temp hooped structures - 30w by 60 long, has a stretched shrink-wrapped roof over hoops - I'm sure you've seen them. Anyways, its not on a foundation, so he doesn't pay taxes on a "permanent, property improving structure."

A jack-wad that was my boss at the airport I worked at decades ago, also had a place near where I am now. He kept his "organic" chickens in an old mobile home. Kept tools in other trailers. Did everything he could to make sure not one outbuilding was "permanent" - to avoid paying property taxes.

So the township passed a blight ordinance.

Anyway, my point is, you don't pay property taxes on wheel-mounted "Structures, which in turn, can create antagonistic relationships with tax boards, and causes communities to raise the bar on minimum square footage houses - to keep out the Beverly Hillbillies.

People will jump through hoops to avoid a taxable structure. I know people that will spend more to have it not taxed than they would pay in taxes. Plus, a permanent structure increases the property value. Maybe if a foundation was put in place but the structure was kept on wheels until getting ready to sell....
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #19

Trade: Architectural Design and Drafting
Rewards Points: 134

1090 sf. Two beds, two full baths.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny Houses..-exterior-view-facing-northeast.jpg   Tiny Houses..-kitchen-expanded-10-inches.jpg  
Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #20

Trade: Landscaping & Irrigation
Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
I wonder if he's also milking the USDA EQIP grant program for "high tunnels".

Advertisement