Small / Economical Build - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Small / Economical Build

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
Pro
 
mstrat's Avatar
 
Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 885
Rewards Points: 1,500

Small / Economical Build


Anyone have any good sites to see some actual economical and efficient floor plans? Searching high and low for a nice 1200-1500 ft2 house plan that doesn't entail bizarre niches, angled walls everywhere, and 12/12 roof pitches...seems like it's too much to ask for to find a simple ranch with a 2-car garage attached, with 3 bedrooms these days...any suggestions?
mstrat is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Controls Guy
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Trade: Deplorable Electrician
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: God's Country of Virginia
Posts: 1,036
Rewards Points: 1,189

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
Anyone have any good sites to see some actual economical and efficient floor plans? Searching high and low for a nice 1200-1500 ft2 house plan that doesn't entail bizarre niches, angled walls everywhere, and 12/12 roof pitches...seems like it's too much to ask for to find a simple ranch with a 2-car garage attached, with 3 bedrooms these days...any suggestions?
https://www.beracahhomes.com/homes/townsend

https://www.beracahhomes.com/homes/brighton

https://www.beracahhomes.com/homes/bridgewater

Advertisement

__________________
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
100% Union and Proud of It
MechanicalDVR is offline  
Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 22,371
Rewards Points: 6,152

Re: Small / Economical Build


Lots of manufactured home sites. You have to add on the garage in most cases, but if you're just looking for efficient floor plans...
hdavis is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,787
Rewards Points: 5,206

Re: Small / Economical Build


In 1989, my favorite restaurant owners slammed a wad of home plan mags in front of me, and said "we like this one, but you tell us which one we should build.".

So I looked at what they picked, and it was a Tee ranch, easy build, open floor plan. So I sad, "yeah, that's the one alright", and sent away for 4 sets of prints. I had a local archy sign them, and we built it that winter.


The outfit is still in business.

http://www.sunsethouseplans.com/
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-11-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,835
Rewards Points: 10,152

Re: Small / Economical Build


Look at the Carolina collection from Allison Ramsey architects.Their homes have curb appeal and floor plans the way people live today.
fjn is online now  
Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
Pro
 
mstrat's Avatar
 
Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 885
Rewards Points: 1,500

Re: Small / Economical Build


Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm looking for something that has a little curb appeal but isn't full of stupid design items like a billion gables and a foundation with a million corners...the modular sites have some thoughts, I'm feeling like I'll end up just making a plan on my own...but figured a little inspiration wouldn't hurt!
mstrat is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
Pro
 
Fouthgeneration's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mid west
Posts: 2,190
Rewards Points: 7,829

Re: Small / Economical Build


Early seventies here, a 8 corner house was far up-scale....

Most home are covered in Gee Gaws to hide their similarity to all the other homes in the neighborhood.

Use modular dimensioned graph paper to lay out floor plans and elevations, I.e. 96",48",32,24,19.2" 16" and 12"& 8" if absolutely needed. Walls, roofs, ceilings and floors cost, Air not so much, fewer high class rooms cost less to build, Tiny rooms are by their nature labor pigs. Square buildings have the least amount of roof and wall per foot of living space, trailer house plans the the most waste.

Remember New insulation standards need thicker walls, ADD the dimensional increase, Don't shrink the rooms, Check that all rooms meet federal loan standards for minimum size and fenestration.

Hide the garage doors on the side or back if possible..... spend a few dollars on the Garage doors panels.

Get with the Plumber, tinner and electrician to shrink runs, and thus material costs. Siamese baths, stacked plumbed rooms, maybe upgrade the floor system thickness for the HVAC.

Use only four or five window ROs at the max. A few hours laying out the windows so they look good from the kerb and from inside. Maybe a few matching windows for garage sidewalls to fool the eye.

Leave the under 36" doors for the shack attackers....

Copy the last house with minor changes, or build just from a short list...

I start with a lot set-back plan, then design the stairwell, FFL and garage slab elevation, then add the rooms around the stairwell as needed
Fouthgeneration is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
Rio (12-17-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Controls Guy
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Trade: Deplorable Electrician
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: God's Country of Virginia
Posts: 1,036
Rewards Points: 1,189

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
In 1989, my favorite restaurant owners slammed a wad of home plan mags in front of me, and said "we like this one, but you tell us which one we should build.".

So I looked at what they picked, and it was a Tee ranch, easy build, open floor plan. So I sad, "yeah, that's the one alright", and sent away for 4 sets of prints. I had a local archy sign them, and we built it that winter.


The outfit is still in business.

http://www.sunsethouseplans.com/
LMAO, Sunset...several relatives built from their plans in the late 60s and 70s.
__________________
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
100% Union and Proud of It
MechanicalDVR is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,787
Rewards Points: 5,206

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Early seventies here, a 8 corner house was far up-scale....

Most home are covered in Gee Gaws to hide their similarity to all the other homes in the neighborhood.

Use modular dimensioned graph paper to lay out floor plans and elevations, I.e. 96",48",32,24,19.2" 16" and 12"& 8" if absolutely needed. Walls, roofs, ceilings and floors cost, Air not so much, fewer high class rooms cost less to build, Tiny rooms are by their nature labor pigs. Square buildings have the least amount of roof and wall per foot of living space, trailer house plans the the most waste.

Remember New insulation standards need thicker walls, ADD the dimensional increase, Don't shrink the rooms, Check that all rooms meet federal loan standards for minimum size and fenestration.

Hide the garage doors on the side or back if possible..... spend a few dollars on the Garage doors panels.

Get with the Plumber, tinner and electrician to shrink runs, and thus material costs. Siamese baths, stacked plumbed rooms, maybe upgrade the floor system thickness for the HVAC.

Use only four or five window ROs at the max. A few hours laying out the windows so they look good from the kerb and from inside. Maybe a few matching windows for garage sidewalls to fool the eye.

Leave the under 36" doors for the shack attackers....

Copy the last house with minor changes, or build just from a short list...

I start with a lot set-back plan, then design the stairwell, FFL and garage slab elevation, then add the rooms around the stairwell as needed
^^^ yup.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Service Provider
 
FarmerBrown's Avatar
 
Trade: Insurance
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24
Rewards Points: 24

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
Anyone have any good sites to see some actual economical and efficient floor plans? Searching high and low for a nice 1200-1500 ft2 house plan that doesn't entail bizarre niches, angled walls everywhere, and 12/12 roof pitches...seems like it's too much to ask for to find a simple ranch with a 2-car garage attached, with 3 bedrooms these days...any suggestions?
mitrat, I think you've shed light on a topic that most of us have allowed to slide into memory. When I was a kid growing up, Julius Caesar's dad and my dad used to . . . .

OK seriously though, when I was a kid, my father and grandfather used to extol the virtues of thrift and economy. You were smarter and wiser, they said, to look for real value and savings in everything you did. After all, they would say, you could always perform upgrades down the line. But once spent, that money was gone.

I grew up in a ranch house built around 1960. It was a lovely brick home with an attached garage, three bedrooms, a bath and a half, and a front porch formed by a half-wall, where my brothers and I would sit and watch it snow until my mother swore that if pneumonia didn't kill us, she would. It was a nice, typical, middle-class home.

Nowadays too many people want McMansions. Soaring gables and gleaming gourmet kitchens are all the rage. Homeowners sink so far into debt that they resemble alligators poking their noses out of the swamp in hopes of snagging a quick, free meal.

Not me. I'd just as soon stick with my ranch house, and let the gator feast on something other than my wallet. You can never have too much common sense.
FarmerBrown is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerBrown For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
Pro
 
mstrat's Avatar
 
Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 885
Rewards Points: 1,500

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by ContractorsLiability View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
Anyone have any good sites to see some actual economical and efficient floor plans? Searching high and low for a nice 1200-1500 ft2 house plan that doesn't entail bizarre niches, angled walls everywhere, and 12/12 roof pitches...seems like it's too much to ask for to find a simple ranch with a 2-car garage attached, with 3 bedrooms these days...any suggestions?
mitrat, I think you've shed light on a topic that most of us have allowed to slide into memory. When I was a kid growing up, Julius Caesar's dad and my dad used to . . . .

OK seriously though, when I was a kid, my father and grandfather used to extol the virtues of thrift and economy. You were smarter and wiser, they said, to look for real value and savings in everything you did. After all, they would say, you could always perform upgrades down the line. But once spent, that money was gone.

I grew up in a ranch house built around 1960. It was a lovely brick home with an attached garage, three bedrooms, a bath and a half, and a front porch formed by a half-wall, where my brothers and I would sit and watch it snow until my mother swore that if pneumonia didn't kill us, she would. It was a nice, typical, middle-class home.

Nowadays too many people want McMansions. Soaring gables and gleaming gourmet kitchens are all the rage. Homeowners sink so far into debt that they resemble alligators poking their noses out of the swamp in hopes of snagging a quick, free meal.

Not me. I'd just as soon stick with my ranch house, and let the gator feast on something other than my wallet. You can never have too much common sense.
That's my point exactly...the plans I'm finding are insane...so many corners and angles that add to the cost of it all and nothing to the function. Just typing it I'm sure I'm sounding like a cheap lazy boring guy, but I also see tge need for a more cost effective home to be built, without necessarily looking like "4 walls, 6 windows, 2 doors and a 4/12 roof modular"...I'm gonna come up with something!
mstrat is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Pro
 
Fouthgeneration's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mid west
Posts: 2,190
Rewards Points: 7,829

Re: Small / Economical Build


Start from each end, i.e. add to the ranch bungalow, like a steeper roof pitch etc... And from a Mac-mansion you hate, write a list of details you hate/dislike/ or don't see much value in. Leaving a list of must haves and like to haves to upgrade the Ranch....

Millions of Man and (Women) hours have gone into designing the prefect home, they haven't got there yet, maybe you'll move the ball toward the goal line.
Fouthgeneration is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,787
Rewards Points: 5,206

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
That's my point exactly...the plans I'm finding are insane...so many corners and angles that add to the cost of it all and nothing to the function. Just typing it I'm sure I'm sounding like a cheap lazy boring guy, but I also see tge need for a more cost effective home to be built, without necessarily looking like "4 walls, 6 windows, 2 doors and a 4/12 roof modular"...I'm gonna come up with something!
Yup. Well, one can put a pitch on any box - it's getting the proportions and usability as good as it can be for a given space.

Somewhere, I remember seeing those prints still in the tube around here. Ifn I find them, I'll take a snap and put it up here. Can't say when or even if - just too many boxes and storage spaces....
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 12-14-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: speelink
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
Pro
 
mstrat's Avatar
 
Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 885
Rewards Points: 1,500

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Start from each end, i.e. add to the ranch bungalow, like a steeper roof pitch etc... And from a Mac-mansion you hate, write a list of details you hate/dislike/ or don't see much value in. Leaving a list of must haves and like to haves to upgrade the Ranch....

Millions of Man and (Women) hours have gone into designing the prefect home, they haven't got there yet, maybe you'll move the ball toward the goal line.
I'm probably not going to nudge that ball too closely to the perfect home!

Obviously there's no perfect house because everyone's needs and situation is different. It was said earlier though that I'm a believer in building homes that make sense for who they're for...and some people want a nice home even though they don't have $40,000 extra to spend on decorative dormers, octagon 2 story foyers, and 5 walk in closets. I'd love to help get some more reasonable homes, priced low enough to actually be considered a starter home (in this area ~$130-175,000 I would love to hit...and before everyone destroys me, I don't live in Cali and I know where you live it's $100,000 a square inch for the land alone...it's just not the case here, you can get land fairly reasonably and easily here).

I'll keep my search up, I'm seemingly drawn to the craftsman look on the outside of the house, I'm a fan of some curb appeal, just not into spending a fortune on it
mstrat is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #15
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 22,371
Rewards Points: 6,152

Re: Small / Economical Build


Dormers are cheap an add interest to a level of the house that otherwise is pretty boring.
hdavis is online now  
Old 12-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,835
Rewards Points: 10,152

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Dormers are cheap an add interest to a level of the house that otherwise is pretty boring.



That is a very true statement,however,it comes with a mighty big if. That being,if they are done correctly,which in the vast majority of times they are not.Here is a brief article that hits the high points. The very first thing on the list is show restraint. That is where most dormers go wrong,the designers feel bigger has to be better.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2014...-gable-dormers
fjn is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-16-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #17
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 22,371
Rewards Points: 6,152

Re: Small / Economical Build


If you're just throwing one in for looks that doesn't add usable space, there isn't any upside to making it "too big". I put an eyebrow dormer in that was just for looks - nothing but attic trusses on the other side.
hdavis is online now  
Old 12-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 14,787
Rewards Points: 5,206

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Early seventies here, a 8 corner house was far up-scale....
I have favorites and the 8c ranch is oe of them.

Another is the quad. I looked at one as a possible income propoerty (my vote was yes, my two partners said no).

I just thought - what a heck of a neat place to raise a mess of kids - rooms everywhere - even had a walk up & out basement exit. Another one from the 70s IIRC.

Right now, IT workers are slightly overvalued in the US economy and they are the ones munching on all the McMansions.

At some point, the balance will shift back to where all the service trades are in higher demand - and they will want those simpler homes. I hope I live to see it and be part of it!
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
fjn (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Pro
 
mstrat's Avatar
 
Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 885
Rewards Points: 1,500

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Dormers are cheap an add interest to a level of the house that otherwise is pretty boring.
I suppose that'd be a relative term, yeah? I'm assuming you're saying that dormers are an inexpensive way to add curb appeal? If so then yes, maybe so, but they're still an added cost (and 'cheap' is a relative term still, there's a fair bit of added lumber costs, more roofing costs, more siding costs, more window costs, and more labor costs...the true cost of adding that dormer adds up quickly!). I'm not trying to pick a fight, but they actually do cost a few bucks without any added functionality (unless it's a useful dormer, but I'm assuming you're referring to one that's purely decorative)
mstrat is offline  
Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #20
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 22,371
Rewards Points: 6,152

Re: Small / Economical Build


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
I'm assuming you're saying that dormers are an inexpensive way to add curb appeal?
Correct. There are only so many ways to add interest to a roof line.

If you're looking for the most efficient use of materials for the floor space, in a lot of areas it's a 2 story roughly square building with full basement and hipped roof. Anything you add to that is going to be an added expense.

Advertisement

hdavis is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Room Too Small for Coffered Ceiling?? vettefan77 Remodeling 11 12-18-2012 08:32 PM
want to build small gravel screen have questions burntside bob Excavation & Site Work 3 09-12-2011 12:08 PM
To build or not to build cabinets that is the question detroit687 Finish Carpentry 21 04-26-2011 09:53 PM
How do you "handle" a small job... EZ Land Business 14 03-11-2011 07:45 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?