Safe Room/panic Room - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk
View Poll Results: Would you want a safe room, panic room, hidden door?
Yes 6 60.00%
No 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Safe Room/panic Room

Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Trade: Security
Rewards Points: 14

Safe Room/panic Room

Hello everyone! I came here today to see if any contractors or customers of theirs have considered an in home panic room for safety or hidden/secret door just because they can? I came up with this idea due to gang violence increasing in local area and for the hurricanes that recently hit, leaving people trapped in their homes and in some cases dying due to lack of necessities. So in the short story I believe if people had pre planned and built a panic room or fall out shelter or whatever you would want to call it I think it could have prevented casualties and given safety from the storm until rescue comes. As for the sale side I have been reading that panic rooms are increasingly becoming more and more popular as well as a huge selling point for new home owners looking to keep their kids, valuables, and information safe as well as putting secret passage ways to "man caves". I dont want to go in to too much detail but I have designed some for all different applications and price ranges since not everyone can afford or want to pay for a fortress in their home, this way im not limiting myself to a small group of customers. It can be used in earthquakes, wild fires, flooding, safety, and even novelty applications for someone looking for that unique selling point in a home cause lets be honest who wouldnt want a secret passage way in their home when searching for your dream home. I would appreciate some feedback of what you guys think also what are some obstacles I might face trying to create a safe room in a built home as far as permits go.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,928

Re: Safe Room/panic Room

They are air tight for wild fires and water tight for flooding?

Advertisement

A&E Exteriors (02-05-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
They are air tight for wild fires and water tight for flooding?
I have an few ideas on how to make them air tight with seals, latches, and welding, for fireproofing it would be a flame resistant material that would also benefit in earthquake regions since the same material is shock absorbent.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmrgreen View Post
I have an few ideas on how to make them air tight with seals, latches, and welding, for fireproofing it would be a flame resistant material that would also benefit in earthquake regions since the same material is shock absorbent.
How do you breath inside?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 838

My ranch in the middle of nowhere, my naturally unpleasant attitude, and my 12 gauge, is my panic room.

I ain't waiting for anyone to come "rescue" me. I'll be the guy rescuing everyone else.

Other than that, I think they're great for making yuppies feel "safe".

And yes, there are ways to make them fireproof, (relatively), or make them to be hurricane/tornado shelters. There are in-depth code requirements for those, especially the tornado rooms.

Delta
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-02-2018), Frank Castle (02-01-2018), Joasis (02-03-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 7,273

Sounds like an infomercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (02-05-2018), DaVinciRemodel (02-02-2018), rrk (02-02-2018), rselectric1 (02-01-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
How do you breath inside?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
In the case of a wild fire an oxygen tank(s) would be sufficient, no? As long as it is air tight within the room but as for water scenarios vents leading outside if its in home, if its a fall out shelter in the backyard then creating a buoyant shelter to raise and sink with the water anchored to a cement foundation beneath it. Different shelters for different locations. I greatly appreciate the questions!!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post

My ranch in the middle of nowhere, my naturally unpleasant attitude, and my 12 gauge, is my panic room.

I ain't waiting for anyone to come "rescue" me. I'll be the guy rescuing everyone else.

And yes, there are ways to make them fireproof, (relatively), or make them to be hurricane/tornado shelters. There are in-depth code requirements for those, especially the tornado rooms.

Delta
Hahaha I like the way you think! There are a decent amount of yuppies out there who might pay good money for this. In my area people have to work about burglaries so keeping people safe from that is what made want to go this route.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 838

Quote:
In the case of a wild fire an oxygen tank(s) would be sufficient, no? As long as it is air tight within the room but as for water scenarios vents leading outside if its in home, if its a fall out shelter in the backyard then creating a buoyant shelter to raise and sink with the water anchored to a cement foundation beneath it. Different shelters for different locations. I greatly appreciate the questions!!
So you don't actually know much about building them?

Delta
Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Sounds like an infomercial.
In NYC panic rooms are becoming more applicable especially for celebrities, I do a lot of masonry work on million dollar homes and thought this would be a good selling point for them to have a secret room but then thought what if I could apply this to all scenarios and try to keep everyone safe. Its far fetched but hey who knows anything is possible.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
So you don't actually know much about building them?

Delta
As for scenarios in my location yes I know how, but I came here to see about other applications as well and not just keep people safe from violence or intrusion but possibly from natural disaster as well since due to the devastation in the most recent hurricanes
Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 2,378

Quote:
In the case of a wild fire an oxygen tank(s) would be sufficient, no?
100% O2 could make it very interesting, depending on how it is used. O2 is a great catalyst for fire.

With say a $7,000 scuba rebreather it could be used for hours. Although a pressurized tank and a full faced mask, like fire fighters use, would last for around 40 minutes. Sounds like you have a lot to learn about being a prepper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (02-01-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:37 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 346

Sounds more like a dangerous room than a safe room.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 486

Would be really cool to have a room behind a bookcase or something like that. Good place to stash firearms, valuables, etc.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #15

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
And help prove The Darwin Theory. I say give em' what they want.

-Hal
Old 02-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,023

Your lawyer will fill you in on the verbiage and written language that must be used to avoid your being held liable for harm when the 'Panic' and or 'Secret' Room fails to perform in some fashion.

How do you keep anything "secret" when you have filed a permit for and paid income and real estate taxes on?

To me any "secret'/panic room without an more secret exit is a large casket/ feed trough for criminals. IMHO

I'd bet a large sum there are high end crooks that specialize in homes with secret rooms...

I'm sure the act of building a P room places one on a list of possible marks similar to the poor slobs who "have" to buy kidnapping insurance for business in certain Nations.

Of course, A rational home buyer builder concerned about their family's safety in bad times, builds with bullet/fire/water resistant Masonry walls and floors. which makes upgrading a rooms security much cheaper....
Old 02-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,038

I don’t know anything about rooms designed to protect from natural disasters. But we have done several “Safe Rooms”.

In all cases they were requirements from the board of directors for the CEO’s or Chairmen. All of the work was spec’d and inspected by an insurance company (the one holding the policy).

The goal for the ones we’ve done was to provide a location (with independent communication) that would prevent entry, destruction or forced evacuation for a specified period. The times ranged from 17 minutes to 42 minutes. I’m told that the time requirements are base on police response times.

In most cases, these are simply rooms (closets, storage rooms, etc.) in the existing house with fortified doors, walls and ceilings. The goal was to keep the occupants safe from crack heads or terrorists until the police arrived.

Funny thing about the “terrorist” part of the concern. When you think of terrorist, I immediately thought of middle eastern terrorist (these companies do a lot of business in the middle east). But the only time one of our rooms was even considered for use (it wasn’t needed), was for a threat of domestic terrorism.

Seems a U.S. group of human rights activists hacked the company website and made a bunch of threats. The CEO was told to “stay near the safe room until security arrived”. About an hour later, our website was being attacked at the rate of 300 posts per second. Seems that once the dick heads got into the email of the CEO, we became a target (we communicated often via email and we got singled out as a “Human Rights Abuser” also).

As 4th Gen said above, our lawyer/insurance company was all over this. I just charged the extra expenses to the project. They were happy to pay.

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-06-2018), itsmrgreen (02-02-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Door Installer
Rewards Points: 404

What you are describing sounds like a refuge chamber found in an underground mine. I spent an hour in one when I was working in an underground mine in Nevada and there was an electrical fire. Just get one of those and put walls around it.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,936

Quote:
I came up with this idea due to gang violence increasing in local area and for the hurricanes that recently hit, leaving people trapped in their homes and in some cases dying due to lack of necessities. So in the short story I believe if people had pre planned and built a panic room or fall out shelter or whatever you would want to call it I think it could have prevented casualties and given safety from the storm until rescue comes.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f17/pa...-ideas-252033/

I have built more then 100 safe rooms, the panic room idea isn't new. It is about speed.

I have yet to sell a panic room based on the idea of a usable room that is also a "safe space", but we still install safe rooms in every build.

[
Marketing A New Idea (for Me)
Although we are busy, meaning I have problems covering my schedule right now, I am thinking seriously of buying space at the gun show next weekend, and setting up a display of ICF, and a vault door (like a gun safe door), and advertise for "Panic Rooms, Home Vaults", Safe Rooms, Additions with with total Concrete"....

Sportsman Steel http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/d...ult-doors.html offered to loan me a door, and one of their reps to do the show with me. Also wants to discuss having me do door installs for them....and without it being a concrete room, install into what, exactly, but I didn't ask the owner that.

Anyway....strictly speaking, I am thinking this is a high end sale, and thus, I am going to price it at maybe 3 times the cost of a safe room in one of my typical builds. Not trying to gouge anyone, but, the clients that want something like this are not going to be paycheck to paycheck types, and this would be beyond our typical saferooms.

Also, this would be another point to market what I love to do, concrete homes. If any of you guys are interested, I would be willing to give someone a hand getting started in the ICF world. These could also be formed with traditional Simmons or simplex type forms, but ICF would be way easier.

Thoughts?
] This was from a thread a few years ago.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page

Last edited by Joasis; 02-03-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

Locked and loaded, video surveilance around my 27 acres and in my cabin and a damm good German Shepherd watchdog who dislikes intruders.

We no need no stinkin' bunkers !!!!

Advertisement