Not My Job! Help, Please. - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Not My Job! Help, Please.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 6

Not My Job! Help, Please.

I'm hoping you guys can help me to understand and resolve a team conflict. My role is owner. Our general contractor broke ground on a 1.5m project about three weeks ago. He submitted an RFI to the MEP, who is having a temper tantrum saying each RFI will have a 10 day turn around and that the general contractor's request is not the MEP's job.

It looks to me, that there is a chasm between the MEP's expectations and that of the general and the architect. The MEP's drawings show locations of components in plan and shows simple not to scale lines connecting those components (conduit, ducts, etc.). The MEP's drawings omit elevations, identification of where conduit passes through structure (for example), fasteners and where MEP items may conflict. I believe the general contractors question center around these issues. The MEP says its not his job to do this, although the contract says its the MEP's responsibility to prepare documents necessary for construction. Personally, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know how some elevations and section details would not be necessary for construction.

The general contractor is obtaining, in conformance with the contract, what I "think" of as shop drawings, such as manufacturer cut sheets and instructions for installation.

So, there appears to be this important gap between what is meant by "shop drawings" and what is meant by "documents necessary for construction". The general thinks the MEP wants him to make a BIM model - the MEP says that is not the case. In the mean time, the MEP's slow response time threatens to drag out the construction schedule.

I have asked all the parties to check their guns at the door convene on site to hash out expectations.

We can't be the first job to encounter this conflict. Do you have any advice?
I really appreciate it.
Jeff

ps. These are actual Contract excerpts:
Construction Documents (section): “After owner approval of design development documents, prepare construction documents including drawings, specifications and detail drawings necessary for construction.”
“Respond to contractors’ question during bidding.”
“Review all mechanical and electrical shop drawings, submittals and samples for compliance with the contract documents.”
“Issue clarifications through the architect as required.”
Assumptions (section): “Contractor shall prepare and submit coordinated shop drawings for our review prior to installation of work.”

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,135

Re: Not My Job! Help, Please.

The GC is responsible to the customer, the GC's subs are responsible to the GC.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (05-03-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 56

What is your architects role at this point?

How/who selected this Contractor?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,322

The MEP isn't a person.

Normally those are design build, and you don't get told where everything runs exactly until you spend oodles more.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
New Guy

"Oodles more".

In a nutshell, that's it. Its not design build. The MEP (consulting firm) said what it is. If we want to know where it goes, that's now extra.

Where is the architect? Its a new conflict. It will be interesting to see how the architect responds to it. I can predict where it is headed. Either the general contractor figures it out in the field or I'll have to pay the MEP another fee of "oodles" to tell the general contractor where to put it.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 56

Architect should have designed the path for MEP's as it is his structure and he is aware of design/engineering issues that will effect installation.

Unless there is some major structural engineering issue to install MEP's your GC and his subs should be able to figure this out.

What exactly is the problem?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
New Guy

The exact problem?

General contractor has questions. MEP will not answer questions. General contractor says his fee does not include figuring it out. MEP says his fee does not include figuring it out. Of course, they both think the other one is responsible for figuring it out.

I would have expected both, at the beginning of their engagement, to say ... here is what we do and here is what we don't do and for the architect to solve bridging the gap.

I suspect, since it is not design build, that the general contractor is concerned about liability in our litigious world so want this part of design to come from the MEP firm.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibear88 View Post
The exact problem?

General contractor has questions. MEP will not answer questions. General contractor says his fee does not include figuring it out. MEP says his fee does not include figuring it out. Of course, they both think the other one is responsible for figuring it out.

I would have expected both, at the beginning of their engagement, to say ... here is what we do and here is what we don't do and for the architect to solve bridging the gap.

I suspect, since it is not design build, that the general contractor is concerned about liability in our litigious world so want this part of design to come from the MEP firm.
I'd be getting a job at 7-11 before dealing with any of that. Tell people to step up or step out. Just sounds fishy.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,322

How big of a building is this?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 38

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-03-2015)