Google Sketchup - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Google Sketchup

Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Google Sketchup

Over the last year I have been using Google Sketchup. It took a little bit of time to get familiar with the program but I am really starting to like it. I am still a beginner at using this program; here is a plan for a bookshelf I just built. I feel like it saved me a lot of time and it's nice to know your on the same page with the homeowner.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Sketchup-bookshelf.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Trade: Plumbing & remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Google Sketchup

My brother in law turned me on to that program, I checked it out once but didn't spend a lot of time with it. It seemed kind of difficult to use, how long did it take you to get the hang of it? I need to start using something though, it's good to show a visual. Also, do you pay for it or just use the free version?
Jimmy

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Yeah sketch-up rocks....I just wish I would make myself spend the time to learn it.

Can't beat the price either.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Pro

I use the free version. I would say that I spent about 8 hours playing around and watching some of the tutorials. I would highly recommend investing some time to learn the program.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

It seems like a good program & I just saw the free training video section I was looking at 20-20 design but it's just so expensive, something cheaper would at least be a good start, I really don't know what the difference is between them so if someone could elighten me, please do
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

good looking bookcase by the way, any pics of the finished product?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Pro

I didn't get it finished until about 8:00 pm on Friday so I didn't get a chance to take any pics. I'll get some up on Monday.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Pro

Yeah, pics would be nice kc. Good work on your drawing, wait until you've got a year under your belt.

I've been lazy with su because I've used chief for the last 8 years and can get what I need from it, but I would love to learn sketch-up as well....I'm just too lazy.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Pro

This is in the same basement. The drawing really came in handy with this wet bar. They wanted to stick a small wet bar in the corner. We had a tricky window to work in. They liked what I came up with and was able to sell the upgrade with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Sketchup-wet-bar.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Pro

J.F. I just checked out your website. Awesome stuff. I really like the concept of your website. That's the direction i'm trying to head. Your drawings look really good, I'm going to check out chief.

Some of those basement drawings are very detailed. How do you go about charging for design work? If somebody just wants some trim done; how do you cover your design time?

After the Edit...

Ok. I spent some more time on your site. Heck, I think I learned a thing or two. I checked out your FAQ on your preferred basement site which had the answers to my questions.

Last edited by kcremodeling; 01-30-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Pro

I'm just getting back into "just" carpentry work, so it's still a work in progress. As far as trim work, like some crown, base, etc., I can give 'em a verbal quote right then and there, no design needed (unless they really want one...then I'm happy to oblige for the $$).

I got the ipad recently just for doing quick proposals on the spot for "free" (no design work), just plug some #'s into the spreadsheet and get some rough #'s within a minute or two...then the clients can decide if they want to go to the design phase if needed.

This is of course after I've shown them multiple drawings and project pics first (and just did the first presentation with the ipad...it definitely rocks ).

If someone is really just wanting a room or two of crown, I can give 'em a price range right over the phone after speaking with them for a few minutes.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Pro

The basement designs were anywhere from $800-$2500, with most in the $1,200-$1,600 range, depending on sq. footage and detail needed (cabinetry, etc.).
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Pro

I am trying to gear my business more toward trim as well. Some of the big trim guys here in KC will not work for the public. Do you do work for other GC's or mainly for the public?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
The basement designs were anywhere from $800-$2500, with most in the $1,200-$1,600 range, depending on sq. footage and detail needed (cabinetry, etc.).

Good to know. This is all very valuable information. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Pro

I don't know if I'd call it wisdom. As far as working for GC's, I have in the past, not yet with the new biz. But I'd have no problem doing it as long as the pay and management is good....may never happen.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 244

I haven't used it as a presentation piece as of yet. I am still too green. I need a full day just to sit and play with it. I have mainly used it to plan out a project. It has helped tremendously getting the quotes more accurate.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

If you aren't subscribed to Joe Zeh's tutorials, do yourself a favor and get on his list.

Here's his blog address: http://www.srww.com/blog/
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Kitchenbuilder (02-26-2012)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
It's Not a Toomaa!!

Trade: Remodels
Rewards Points: 1,000

There are a ton of great tutorials on youtube. Once you get used to it, your proposals will never be the same. I started w/ a kitchen a few weeks ago. I'm currently building a deck project board by board just to help figure out the best ways of using this program. Its also a great tool to figure out area of odd shapes and sizes to help you be more accurate. Once you have the project modeled in, you can go back as often as needed to break the project down into finer and finer detail. Takes a lot of time up front to get good, but after that hazing, it will save a ton on the back end.

hhicontracting.com
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #19

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 75

I really enjoy using sketchup. It is free and easy. What I really like about it is that you can get the area of painted surfaces, tile, etc. This helps tremendously when estimating for materials.

I pretty much can draw up the space that we are going to remodel fairly quickly, take videos/photos, and then head home for the bid. It saves trips back out for details that might be missed.

Here are some photos of before photo, sketchup design, and then final photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Sketchup-img_0690.jpg   Google Sketchup-img_0037.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 632 woodlake.pdf (83.5 KB, 639 views)
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hmxPhKSXs

Advertisement

Last edited by kcremodeling; 02-01-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

Tags
google sketchup