Best Window Brand - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Best Window Brand

Old 02-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 8

Best Window Brand

I have a client who wants Marvin aluminum clad windows because of their brand strength. My window supplier is suggesting Weathershield or Andersen instead. Any opinions on quality or other pros or cons? Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 2,956

Re: Best Window Brand

food for thought...

if a client is selecting a quality name brand, in my experience, it is best to go with that, unless you can provide some compelling info to go different.

should something go wrong with what you or your supplier want to use you will be a dirty no good s.o.b. until the end of time.

if something goes wrong wrong with their selection at least you have the satisfaction of i told you so, even if you don't say it....

i will stress again, so long as the clients choice is a quality name brand.

good luck.

Advertisement

fjn (02-06-2019), knucklehead (02-06-2019), r a s (02-15-2019), SmallTownGuy (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #3

thx - very helpful. just for my own knowledge, i am curious about peopel's experience with marvin (which i think of as more high end) vs weathershield and other less name brands. my supplier says weathershield and andersen are just as good for a cheaper price. thoughts? thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 2,956

i've used marvin windows for years and never had a problem.

although anderson is a good window seems it is more of a "hey look what i have" from a clients perspective.
knucklehead (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 391

If you are looking high end, I would think Loewen, Kolbe&Kolbe, or Pella Architect series.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,878

I can't argue with Griz;what he said makes total sense. However,all the window brands mentioned are just meh. If one truly wants a top notch window two of the best come out of New York,Zeluck from the city and Heartwood from Rochester .Now your talking quality windows.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 880

I've installed hundreds of Marvins, and quite a few weathershields, and just a few Andersens.

The top of the line aluminum clad weathershields are pretty nice, and I'd be ok with those. Some of their lower end windows are junk. I'm not sure how many different lines (Grades) of windows they have at this point.

Andersen is garbage as far as I'm concerned. I will not have anything to do with them.

Marvins are quite nice with a lot of options. You will be paying a premium, but if that's what the client wants, then I'd go with it.

Another major factor to consider is how good the local dealer is to work with. Some dealers have reputations for not supporting the customers after the sale. That doesn't have anything to do with the brand of window.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lettusbee For This Useful Post:
GCLA (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #8

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. Especially helpful to get the perspective from people who have installed the various brands.

I appreciate it and welcome input from anyone else who has compared top of the line Marvin v Weathershield v Andersen, etc.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLA View Post
I have a client who wants Marvin aluminum clad windows because of their brand strength. My window supplier is suggesting Weathershield or Andersen instead. Any opinions on quality or other pros or cons? Thanks in advance.
For clients who want Marvin aluminum clad windows, I am pretty sure Marvin will be the best Brand. They made this very easy for you by selecting a great brand. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Hartmann For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,384

Personally I am not a big fan of aluminum clad windows, hail tends to mess them up. And just replacing damaged sashes can end up being a real pain after a few years, been there done that. Weathershield , only have used their vinyl ones, use to be fair , but later yrs junk, warranty is bad. Andersons think paying to much for the name. My 2 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
avenge (02-07-2019), fjn (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 880

Marvin uses extruded aluminum and it does well in the hail. Had one job get hit shortly after we installed them. No visible damage, while other homes in the area were severely damaged.

Other companies that use roll form cladding, you can poke holes in the aluminum with a sharp pencil.

Replacing the glass in a clad sash can be a royal pain, and sometimes not even possible.

You generally have to order a whole new sash from Marvin, but the are generally easy to change out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Personally I am not a big fan of aluminum clad windows, hail tends to mess them up. And just replacing damaged sashes can end up being a real pain after a few years, been there done that. Weathershield , only have used their vinyl ones, use to be fair , but later yrs junk, warranty is bad. Andersons think paying to much for the name. My 2 cents.
Agreed ! Everyone wants "maintenance free" everything. That could not be a bigger misconception. As Steve Mouzon points out in his book Traditional Construction Patterns, Nobody wants to scrape and paint windows;so they buy the maintenance free clad windows. Only problem,moisture is sneaky,it gets behind the cladding somehow,the rot begins ,and wham o, it's pick up the phone and call the window replacement guys. There is a reason why replacement windows are a six billion dollar industry,you'd think.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #13
Pro

One of several.

Advertisement