For Anyone Interested In Trimless Doors, Windows Etc - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

For Anyone Interested In Trimless Doors, Windows Etc

Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: DRYWALL PROFESSIONAL
Rewards Points: 2,392

For Anyone Interested In Trimless Doors, Windows Etc

I've invented a new product designed to be a better option than fry reglet for trimless detail. It caps over the face reveal of doors and windows but leaves the wood return on the inside so it can be painted or stained. It's also flexible to mold to any shape doors or windows. It can also be used to replace baseboard trim. There's limitless potential to what this could be used for. These are some before and after pictures on a test board I did last year. As you can see the before simulates a window wall. The after shows that the window is in the wall with a tight line that separates the wall from the return in a tight and clean break to where trim is obsolete. It doesn't have that ugly channel like fry reglet.

My question is is this something designers and architects would consider to use in their designs. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
For anyone interested in trimless doors, windows etc-20181028_114145_1559785848999.jpg   For anyone interested in trimless doors, windows etc-20181103_154102_1559785938818.jpg   For anyone interested in trimless doors, windows etc-20181103_154053_1559785989140.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to BUTCHERMAN For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (08-21-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,667

Re: For Anyone Interested In Trimless Doors, Windows Etc

So green is drywall and white is wood??

I suggest you make a little better sample, maybe have stained wood...

I like the detail.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
Pro

Yes the drywall finish is green and the wood is white. I did it this way to show the sharp line. I didn't think about staining it until after it was done. I do agree it would look better. This was a test board I made to see if it would work. It something I did last year not intending to market it. After seeing the results I thought it came out great. What to do with it has been eating at me for a year. Thank you for the kind criticism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,216

I know that trimless is popular with minimalist design, with that in mind it sounds like you have a potentially great product. A lot would depend on how well it works of course and how practical it is but yes, the cleaner the better for a lot of designs.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Pro

That's the thing. I'm doing this over 30 years. This product does everything you ask for. The problem I'm having is getting a company to help me mass produce it. They won't even talk to me. I had a rep tell me they only deal with in house research. Architects and designers have been asking for a while if this could be done and they settle for fry reglet which I know they hate. But without giving away the details I assure you that this is durable, flexible and will stand the test of time as well as corner bead. Just that you keep the wood return. Also it can replace base molding tight to a floor no matter how off the floor is.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,216

If it's patentable I guess I would start there, then keep looking for a reputable company to license it to, was listening to a person on the radio once who did something called a provisional patent if I remember correctly. He said he would get a 'provisional patent' or something along those lines to establish ownership of the idea and then would talk to companies about licensing what he had invented, said he made a lot of money without a lot of headaches that way.

I guess keep researching on ways to get your product to market without getting screwed. Good luck, sounds like a really interesting product.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Idothat (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Pro

Thank you. I've been going through the patent options. But the research is expensive and can take up to 5 years. That's one of the reasons for me posting this thread. I want to get an idea of what interest and demand is there as well as if you guys would be willing to work with this possibility in mind. I know if you guys think about it for a while you can design some amazing things with it.
Rio (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTCHERMAN View Post
Thank you. I've been going through the patent options. But the research is expensive and can take up to 5 years. That's one of the reasons for me posting this thread. I want to get an idea of what interest and demand is there as well as if you guys would be willing to work with this possibility in mind. I know if you guys think about it for a while you can design some amazing things with it.
Sounds like you have a target market who feeds the rest...

Quote:
Architects and designers have been asking for a while if this could be done and they settle for fry reglet which I know they hate.
If they're asking, the market is talking to you...

This is not something I've had experience using, but you'll probably have to come up with more uses and samples that are different to sell them on it though... if it's better than fry reglet, have you considered presenting and licensing it through them? Or target their distributors with an alternative?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,220

This detail is being asked for a fair bit around here lately.
The only commercially available solution I know of so far is the EZ Concepts.

https://www.ezconcept.com/products/ezyjamb/
The Following User Says Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
Rio (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,070

Maybe not really a FastCap type item but they work with home inventors to bring things to market and might be worth emailing.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheConstruct For This Useful Post:
KAP (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
Pro

Thank you everyone for your comments and help. It's nice seeing there's interest outside of the handful of people here. It's a big investment to get it going after reading your responses it sounds like taking the shot may be worth it. Feel free to ask any questions or suggest applications. I have plenty of creative ideas as I know so do you. After all that's what you do. I will keep you posted on progress. Hopefully I can do a room and see it full blown. There are some improvements I've made and I want to bring down the cost. But to let you know, the cost is mostly in the labor. I'm taking all your advice and suggestions seriously and looking into them. Thank you again, it means the world to me.
TheConstruct (06-06-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,297

Manufacturing-wise, what's it made of?

Congrats on the effort, idea, and all that.

I think designers would be all over this.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #13
Pro

I don't want to give it away right now. But I will say it can be made with vinyl and metal. The nosing is the key component. I'm working on doubling up on it to form artistic forms which I can do. For example, I can put a circle around the outside of a window, fill it in with plaster and design custom raised trim that just about any shape you can imagine. It could be a window inside a star trim, or an oval. I feel there are many things you can do. Picture your front door incased in a raised cross. This is possible with a fine tuning. All you have to do is draw a stencil on the wall, I attach the product an fill the gap with plaster and then paint it. Think about what you can do.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,870

Probably,getting this concept to market quickly is in your best interest. The infatuation with "trimless" could just be like pink and gray plastic wall tile.......very short lived. Not to be contrary,however,trim is not only decorative,it provides protection for jambs. The trimless look may fall out of vogue rather quickly,so get moving,strike while the iron is hot.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
Pro

I agree. Here's the thing. Not only can you use it for trimless detail, you can use it to create designer trim details. I am working on a sample to make my point. I believe this could open a door to a new way to look at trimming doors and windows as well as raised artistic designs anywhere on a wall. Just wish I could dedicate more time and money to get it out there.
fjn (06-21-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,870

The newest edition (Sept. 2019) of Finehome Building has an article on trimless drywall.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
Pro

I checked out the article. Thank you for sharing. Just to recap, this is why I feel I have the superior solution. If you go with the fast cap you're stuck with a metal return that makes your home feel like a commercial building even with a wood door. Fry reglet doesn't cover the reveal it butts up to it and incorporates the reveal into the look with an ugly channel nobody wants but feels forced to settle for. Rock and bead returns are like getting drunk and waking up to an ugly woman in the morning. It looks good and seems like a good idea at the time but eventually you sober up and realize what a mistake you made. Again the office look. I feel I have the only solution that gives you the wood return, covers the reveal with a drywall finish and is versatile enough to make inventive trims and replace base molding as well as being extremely flexible for any shape door or window. Nothing else gives you what I described. I've listened to the designer's and from what I hear they're settling for something they don't like because no one has delivered it. Until now.
fjn (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
Pro

So you've gotten to the point where you're ready to deliver?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
Pro

Yes. Now working on bringing the cost down.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Yes. Now working on bringing the cost down.
Whose your distributor?

Advertisement