Anyone Hired Someone To Design And Calculate Super Efficient Home - Architecture & Design - Contractor Talk

Anyone Hired Someone To Design And Calculate Super Efficient Home

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 1,236

Anyone Hired Someone To Design And Calculate Super Efficient Home

I've drawn code prescriptive plans for years. Now I want a small second home for myself that is (maybe) off grid or close to it. I drew a 24' wide by 160' long house, bermed in back on north side (no windows) and a metal shed roof that collects water and shades the south window side for passive solar. 90 x 24 of this house is garage, shop, survival storage, cistern and mechanical. After researching a lot of this, I've become concerned. Anyone have an idea what costs for consultations would be involved in determining best answers for what I want to do. This will be built in an area with no trees and no neighbors within 500 feet. House is not pretty, it is a rectangle.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,144

Re: Anyone Hired Someone To Design And Calculate Super Efficient Home

Check out this guy:

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-local/v...170a323cb4059c

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
i just checked that out. pretty slick house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I'd do ICF for the walls, and SIP for the roof, plus I like the berm idea. Get the best windows and doors that you can (that's where most of your heat loss goes).
Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 432

The aesthetic challenge will be in keeping a home with that shape from looking like a jumbo mobile home.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Pro

Yes triple pane windows absolutely, air lock mezzanine for entry door, super insulated slab floor with dark tile for heat sink 5 foot in from window wall. Double exterior walls (non bermed)And yes it may look funky but its all about function. Pool would be along south wall, not planning on off grid with that and 5' masonry wall beyond pool with PV bank set in front of that and solar heaters for pool. Evergreen trees on north side to block winds, masonry raised bed gardens for food integrated to rain harvesting. I'm familar with all the air sealing tricks and different insulations
My questions would be…
1. How much glass per sq ft on south wall, I'm concerned about overheating, I'm picturing almost continuous glass including glass garage and shop doors?
2. Anyone ever use pool water in a heat exchanger or for A/C
3. Any retractable high R factor covering for windows for windows . I'm trying to imagine a pocket frame type of scenario site built for this, like a 2" thick sliding foam panel covered in something durable?
4. A central wood burning something to have heat in winter, I always have framing lumber to burn but know little about stoves and wood burners.
5. AC possibility from buried pipe in ground utilizing convection to bring ground temperature in house, worried about mold and many other things with this.
This house is also a SHTF use also, may go with ICF and heavy security items particularly for provision lock up and shop. Picture moats and other heavy security concrete fence walls. The house has a lot to do with how safe you can be if SHTF as well as self defense and community. I have the last two worked out, it's now all about the house.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 432

Have you checked out joasis' underground homes?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbuilder View Post
Yes triple pane windows absolutely, air lock mezzanine for entry door, super insulated slab floor with dark tile for heat sink 5 foot in from window wall. Double exterior walls (non bermed)And yes it may look funky but its all about function. Pool would be along south wall, not planning on off grid with that and 5' masonry wall beyond pool with PV bank set in front of that and solar heaters for pool. Evergreen trees on north side to block winds, masonry raised bed gardens for food integrated to rain harvesting. I'm familar with all the air sealing tricks and different insulations
My questions would be…
1. How much glass per sq ft on south wall, I'm concerned about overheating, I'm picturing almost continuous glass including glass garage and shop doors?
2. Anyone ever use pool water in a heat exchanger or for A/C
3. Any retractable high R factor covering for windows for windows . I'm trying to imagine a pocket frame type of scenario site built for this, like a 2" thick sliding foam panel covered in something durable?
4. A central wood burning something to have heat in winter, I always have framing lumber to burn but know little about stoves and wood burners.
5. AC possibility from buried pipe in ground utilizing convection to bring ground temperature in house, worried about mold and many other things with this.
This house is also a SHTF use also, may go with ICF and heavy security items particularly for provision lock up and shop. Picture moats and other heavy security concrete fence walls. The house has a lot to do with how safe you can be if SHTF as well as self defense and community. I have the last two worked out, it's now all about the house.

Theres a calculation "glass to mass" to size your mass to the amount of heat gain you will get from the windows.

What your looking for is simple really... the passive house software. You can model every detail down to moisture build up in walls 10 years out!

You can take the class, its on my short list, or buy the software. Having the spreadsheet from the source (passive house germany) takes the guess work out of it.

I did some HRV install in a passive house built off the program specs... house was very warm without running any heat in the dead of winter.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,718

I have never used this guy however,his name has popped up in energy performance circles for as long as i can remember,25+ years.I bet they could help you.

http://www.energysmiths.com/services/index.php
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Shellbuilder (07-21-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
Have you checked out joasis' underground homes?
Do you have a link? I'm not underground with this due to tidal water location.

Advertisement