When Do You Do The Lead Test - Lead RRP Discussion - Contractor Talk

When Do You Do The Lead Test

Old 04-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,874

When Do You Do The Lead Test

I completed the RRP certification last fall and am still new to all of this. I am now looking at some exterior repaint jobs that could fall under the RRP guidelines.

My question is when are you doing the lead test with the approved EPA lead test kit? do you do it at time of the estimate when you are measuring and such or do you estimate the job assuming it has to follow RRP and then test before starting the work.

Or are you just in the routine of assuming it is RRP and proceeding likewise with no test?

My concern is wasting time doing estimates that do not result in jobs. If i test at the time of estimate then the customer can simply say "well thanks for testing my house" and hire any painter and tell them it is lead free. Where as if he calls a non RRP cert painter that painter will / should/ or could say he is not qualified to test it. Nothing of course says the painter or the home owner even care about the lead paint or RRP, but why help them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 342

Re: When Do You Do The Lead Test

Do you charge for preparing an estimate? If so, you have the option of including a lead test and charging for that as well.

A bit more palatable procedure would be to write up your estimate with the price(s) being contingent upon the results of the test after you have a signed agreement.

Either way, it's quite possible you won't get the job. But if you charge for the estimate, at least you get something for the time invested.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 438

Educate your clients....

Let them know about lead and the bad side to it.

Inform them about RRP.

Offer the lead test at a nominal charge and the value they will get upon knowing their situation.

Offer to rebate the test charge if you get the job.
Sir Mixalot (04-25-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,556

You're RRP certified. Nobody can rely on your lead test results except you. Houses have to follow RRP if they are in a covered category, and another painter can't use your results to say it's lead free. That's a certified inspector's job - they can test to show there is no lead, and everyone is entitled to rely on those results.

In practice, the house would have had to be sanded down to get rid of the lead paint in the pores, and just that little bit is enough to fail a test. Scraping won't get rid of it.

Bid for RRP on the entire job.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,556

I don't lead test any more, I just go with RRP. Old boards that had lead paint on them will still test positive even after scraping to bare. You have to actually remove some of the wood to remove the lead paint from the pores.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,334

I don't **** with it. I 'from the gate', get a lead paint abatement company to test it and remove it. This way I get a folder of paperwork. I give a copy to the HO.

It's something you have to hammer home to them on the dangers and how important it is. Most customers never even knew about it.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,874

Thanks for the replies. The comment that the test is for me only makes more sense now.
I like the idea of pricing the work contingent upon test results. The idea of just following RRP seems a more straight forward approach especially as we work in a responsible manner anyway, but then it seems why add the burden of the additional documentation if you don't have to? Likewise with adding the documentation of lead testing it all is probably a wash anyway.
Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 04-25-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
My concern is wasting time doing estimates that do not result in jobs. If i test at the time of estimate then the customer can simply say "well thanks for testing my house" and hire any painter and tell them it is lead free.
Yeah, well you are performing work, and you have the right to charge for it.

Should/must be part of the non-refundable deposit.

And then there's what everybody else has posted, and I agree. You don't want this **** coming back on you.

Advertisement