Temporary Great News Epa Rrp Lead Paint Violatoins - Lead RRP Discussion - Contractor Talk

Temporary Great News Epa Rrp Lead Paint Violatoins

Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 53

Temporary Great News Epa Rrp Lead Paint Violatoins

senate moves to put off EPA RRP lead-paint violation fines

by JIM MYERS World Washington Bureau

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Link to Article

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate passed legislation Thursday to block fines temporarily under a rule that requires certification to remove lead paint in homes and certain facilities built prior to 1978.

Sponsored by Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, the proposal was attached to a supplemental funding bill by a vote of 60-37.

Senators later passed that spending bill and sent it to the House for further action.

In pushing her amendment, Collins accused the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of botching implementation of the lead-paint rule, which took effect in April.

"I support the EPA lead-paint abatement rule. There simply is no question that we must continue our efforts to rid lead-based paint from our homes,'' she said.

"The problem is there still aren't enough EPA-certified trainers in place to certify contractors. As a result, contractors face devastating fines.''

Fines under the rule could be as high as $37,500 per day.

Collins' legislation would bar the EPA from using funds in the spending bill to levy fines.

"The intent of my amendment is to give small contractors and construction professionals more time to comply with the new rule,'' she said.

For months, Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., has helped lead efforts on the EPA's implementation of the rule, which has sparked both concern and controversy in Oklahoma.

"Today's vote shows there is overwhelming bipartisan concern about the disastrous implementation of EPA's lead-based paint rule,'' Inhofe said.

Citing what he called widespread confusion with the rule's implementation, he also called for the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee to hold a hearing on the matter.

Inhofe serves as the top Republican on that panel.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., the chairwoman of the committee, argued against the Collins amendment. She spoke of the dangers of lead poisoning, especially to children, infants and pregnant women, and urged her fellow senators to reject Collins' effort to block enforcement of the rule.

"Let's not turn back the clock,'' she said. "Lead is poison.''

Boxer rejected arguments by Collins and others that the number of certified trainers was inadequate to provide the necessary classes for renovators and others. She said traveling trainers have been available to come in from out of state to offer the necessary training.

###
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to skarrlette For This Useful Post:
festerized (05-28-2010), Framer53 (05-28-2010), jhammer7 (05-28-2010), JumboJack (05-28-2010), rock16 (05-28-2010), skillsaw9 (06-05-2010), tedanderson (05-28-2010), Tom M (05-28-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,134

Re: Temporary Great News Epa Rrp Lead Paint Violatoins

Wll with all the humanitarians in Congress and senate maybe Boxxer should implement fines to HO who try to sell their lead covered house as un-disclosed.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,030

http://www.contractortalk.com/f115/n...40/#post945254
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 10

I have my own take on all of this lead BS.
Unions are running out of asbestos and they need something new.
Lead is new gold-mine for them.
They have spend a lot of money on legislators and lobbyists.
Fortunes have been made in NY and NJ removing asbestos by union companies, I mean fortunes.
Small contractors will either do it without following procedures or will just turn the job down.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhome View Post
Fortunes have been made in NY and NJ removing asbestos by union companies, I mean fortunes.
Small contractors will either do it without following procedures or will just turn the job down.

Then start a abatement company or division. You don't need to be union to do it.

I was on one of the hottest lead jobs in Seattle. We needed to get our blood drawn once a month to check our levels.
So if you think lead is a joke you are POS for exposing people to the contaminated dust.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhome View Post
New Jersey is probably not
representative of the other 49 states.
The Following User Says Thank You to neolitic For This Useful Post:
JHC (06-05-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodel & Repair
Rewards Points: 510

repost from Certified Renovator Council of North America's forum

The bill you are talking about is HR 4899

HR 4899 is a bill that has been passed by both house and senate recently and is now waiting for President Obama's signature.

The main purpose of the bill is to supplement certain appropriations (funds) on various organizations. At the last minute, Senator Susan Collins, R-Maine added in a section on the RRP.

There has been many news stories and rumors flying around that no fines on RRP can be accessed for a period of time. Republicans are announcing a great success by getting this passed.

In reality though, this bill will have no effect on fines that can be issued by the EPA. Following is the wording used in this new bill.

PROHIBITION ON FINES AND LIABILITY

Sec. 2002. None of the funds made available by this Act shall be used to levy against any person any fine, or to hold any person liable for construction or renovation work performed by the person, in any State under the final rule entitled ‘Lead; Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program; Lead Hazard Information Pamphlet; Notice of Availability; Final Rule’ (73 Fed. Reg. 21692 (April 22, 2008)), and the final rule entitled ‘Lead; Amendment to the Opt-out and Recordkeeping Provisions in the Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program’ signed by the Administrator on April 22, 2010.

Ultimately, it is saying that a supplemental appropriations ($2,000,000) given to the EPA for a separate study and research ... can not be used to access fines. The EPA had no intentions of using this research/study money to access fines on RRP anyway.

They (EPA) can still use other funds and money to access fines on non-complaint contractors.

This section of the bill is more for grandstanding and will not stop the EPA from giving fines to contractors.

You can learn more about this bill, at http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h111-4899
The Following User Says Thank You to hiteams For This Useful Post:
Bill Z (06-05-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

the home owners should be responsible. they choose to buy a home pre 1978,its their resposibility to make sure their children are safe,not some contractor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welterweight For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (05-31-2010), Tom M (05-31-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 53

If guys can't fined whats the point, who cares and who is going to follow or get certified if they don't get fined? That is the whole purpose that is why the fines are so high. So now I am ticked off as I have already paid. How long is this going to take and will it stall for 6 mos, a year, 2 years??? Who knows with these politicians.

If that is the case I want my money back why should I pay and scurry to get something done and then have these jerk offs stall it and for what are they stalling for, they wrote that "there are just not enough CONTRACTORS GETTING CERTIFIED SO THEY CAN't ENFORCE"!! REALLY THAT ISN'T MY PROBLEM I PAID ALREADY! This is why I don't like running with the crowd and falling for the hype.

I think they should have to give everyones money back unless they push this thing through immediately not when they get around to it and with politicians who knows!!!

Last edited by skarrlette; 06-05-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

The attorneys love this law.

Advertisement