RRP, Old Guy - Lead RRP Discussion - Contractor Talk

RRP, Old Guy

Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 16

RRP, Old Guy

I am 68, still enjoy doing remodeling, until this year. I am a one man shop for the most part, and between state, county licenses, taxes, insurance, it costs me over $6k a year, just to open the truck door. Now the EPA, without any legislation by our "representitives?", has killed my business. There is no way I can absorb another $2-6k in expenses and still be competitive. I can't even compete with the big guys. They can spread the cost over more customers. If I try to charge their prices I'm dead. I quess I will have to quit, like it or not.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Re: RRP, Old Guy

The extra expenses are really a one-time thing (the course, certification, HEPA vac, etc).

All the associated costs that go with it should be included in the project proposal (plastic, swiffers, etc, etc.)

And, you can always just work on post 1978 housing (like some here have stated).

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Gebhardt & Co Painting

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 107

Cooke,

The problem is not the one time fees(taxes) it is the customers not willing to pay the extra cost it takes to do the job.

It is hitting the one man show a lot harder than the larger crews.

Last edited by Ragebhardt; 06-26-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragebhardt View Post
Cooke,

The problem is not the one time fees(taxes) it is the customers not willing to pay the extra cost it takes to do the job.

It is hitting the one man show a lot harder the the larger crews.
I'm just a one man show, and I have not had a problem passing on the added costs to the homeowner. I just make sure I am very thorough in explaining why this is important, etc, etc.

The large crews around my way are pretty much ignorant to the RRP law.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling and Repair
Rewards Points: 184

I'm also a one man show. I'm close to retirement age. There is no way I'm going back to school! Even for one day. I'll just do real small non-dust raising jobs and also will just work on houses built after 1978 if I have to. But my state may have an "Opt Out Rule" that they may enact. If I have it right, if no one is pregnant in the house and if there are also no kids 6 years old and under, the customer can sign the "Opt Out Clause" the will exempt the Contractor from the Lead Dust Rules.

Edit: I just double-checked and it is an EPA Rule that local contractors are trying to get re-enacted.

Bill

Last edited by VA Remodeler; 08-05-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 398

The opt out option was eliminated in early July if I remember correctly

Bill
Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling and Repair
Rewards Points: 184

Right, I just double checked on it and it is an EPA Rule that did end, but local contractors around here are trying to get it re-enacted.

Bill
Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I am 68, still enjoy doing remodeling, until this year. I am a one man shop for the most part, and between state, county licenses, taxes, insurance, it costs me over $6k a year, just to open the truck door. Now the EPA, without any legislation by our "representitives?", has killed my business. There is no way I can absorb another $2-6k in expenses and still be competitive. I can't even compete with the big guys. They can spread the cost over more customers. If I try to charge their prices I'm dead. I quess I will have to quit, like it or not.

It is in fact, Congress
that mandated the the rule
way back in the early 90s.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

We are compiling with the new RRP but most are not. As a result of compliance we not only spent over $1500.00 on training and certifications but bought $1000.00 worth of supplies and equipment. I think that the contractors who played ignorant on this rule are getting most of the jobs as their pricing reflects no changes since the rule went into effect.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

If you are looking for an inexpensive way to meet the RRP Rule check out Builders Site Protection's Lead Ready kit. This kit contains the supplies needed to comply and is very reasonably priced. buildsitepro.com

Advertisement