Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Lead RRP Discussion (https://www.contractortalk.com/f115/)
-   -   'RRP Nightmare-General Contractor and His Subcontractor Both Get Nailed By EPA' (https://www.contractortalk.com/f115/rrp-nightmare-general-contractor-his-subcontractor-both-get-nailed-epa-138587/)

TimberlineMD 08-16-2013 07:46 PM

'RRP Nightmare-General Contractor and His Subcontractor Both Get Nailed By EPA'
 
http://www.shawnmccadden.com/the-des..._266035580#%21

Kent Whitten 08-16-2013 07:58 PM

Interesting. happened in Kittery, Maine and I didn't hear about it. Many things happened that looked like it was destined for this right from the beginning. "Child Occupied Community Center" should ring more than a few bells in your head.

According to the sub, they said that they were told there was no lead at the place. Doesn't matter. Ignorance is not an excuse.

http://www.durabilityanddesign.com/n...n=view&id=9217

MTN REMODEL LLC 08-16-2013 08:29 PM

Yep^^^^^^

It's sure smarter to sell 2 billion of crap loans, take out a credit default swap against them, get the gov to bailout the counterparty (AIG), and pay a 500 mil fine...

then to try and go to work and pay 28K.

You'd be $1,500,472,000 better off if you were GS.:censored:

Best

VinylHanger 08-18-2013 12:48 AM

23 Attachment(s)
In this case, they were pretty dumb to not have the whole place lasered for lead.

It might have seemed expensive before the job, it definitely was expensive after the job.

Our last job it cost us 500 bucks. It made life so much easier knowing we didn't have to worry about it.

The inspector said very few contractors do it. Mostly just HUD housing projects. It is going to be a regular cost on any target housing projects we do from now on, if it is a full reno, or large remodel.

FStephenMasek 08-21-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinylHanger (Post 1830963)
In this case, they were pretty dumb to not have the whole place lasered for lead.

It might have seemed expensive before the job, it definitely was expensive after the job.

Our last job it cost us 500 bucks. It made life so much easier knowing we didn't have to worry about it.

The inspector said very few contractors do it. Mostly just HUD housing projects. It is going to be a regular cost on any target housing projects we do from now on, if it is a full reno, or large remodel.

Good for you. FYI - The testing equipment uses X-Ray Fluorescence, with a radioactive source, not a laser.

rosethornva 10-02-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC (Post 1830047)
Yep^^^^^^

It's sure smarter to sell 2 billion of crap loans, take out a credit default swap against them, get the gov to bailout the counterparty (AIG), and pay a 500 mil fine...

then to try and go to work and pay 28K.

You'd be $1,500,472,000 better off if you were GS.:censored:

Best

The government can get away with anything.

The independent contractor can't make a single misstep without being crucified and facing financial ruination.

BTW, the best part was this:


The violation was brought to EPA’s attention via an anonymous tip.

When you're out there trying to earn a buck, just remember, you're now in the cross-hairs of not only "our government," but every human being that has an axe to grind with you.

brunothedog 10-02-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethornva (Post 1859878)

BTW, the best part was this:


The violation was brought to EPA’s attention via an anonymous tip.

When you're out there trying to earn a buck, just remember, you're now in the cross-hairs of not only "our government," but every human being that has an axe to grind with you.

and the competition

Calidecks 10-12-2013 01:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brunothedog
and the competition

Yep, it was probably a competitor

rosethornva 10-12-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Californiadecks (Post 1865264)
Yep, it was probably a competitor

And thanks to the EPA, with a single phone call, you can now utterly destroy your competitor.

For the hate-filled and mean-spirited entrepreneur, it's pretty impressive that you can take down another business with a two-minute phone call.

ranteso 10-12-2013 07:09 AM

RRP has nothing to do with the safety of the "Children" and everything to do with a government revenue source.

EricBrancard 10-13-2013 07:48 AM

17 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethornva (Post 1865281)
And thanks to the EPA, with a single phone call, you can now utterly destroy your competitor.

For the hate-filled and mean-spirited entrepreneur, it's pretty impressive that you can take down another business with a two-minute phone call.

When I took the class, the instructor encouraged turning in other contractors in violation of the rules.

TRMolnar 10-13-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricBrancard (Post 1865852)
When I took the class, the instructor encouraged turning in other contractors in violation of the rules.

Thats awful advise on that instructors part.

I always say that we should watch out for one another. Any contractor that narcs out his fellow man is a coward and deserves any negitive fate that may come his way... :censored:

Im not saying let anyone get away with murder or an equally serious crime, but this annomous tipster could have made a simple phone call to the "guilty" contractor and let him know what was going on and that he was potentially doing something wrong.... at least that would have been a decent thing to do.

just my two cents

EricBrancard 10-13-2013 01:12 PM

17 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TRMolnar (Post 1865865)
Thats awful advise on that instructors part.

I always say that we should watch out for one another. Any contractor that narcs out his fellow man is a coward and deserves any negitive fate that may come his way... :censored:

Im not saying let anyone get away with murder or an equally serious crime, but this annomous tipster could have made a simple phone call to the "guilty" contractor and let him know what was going on and that he was potentially doing something wrong.... at least that would have been a decent thing to do.

just my two cents

I prefer to mind my own business as well.

FStephenMasek 10-16-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRMolnar (Post 1865865)
Im not saying let anyone get away with murder or an equally serious crime....

Knocking off a significant chunk of a child's IQ, or poisoning employees is OK? I doubt you meant that, but those are the real outcomes of just ignoring it.

Calidecks 10-16-2013 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FStephenMasek
Knocking off a significant chunk of a child's IQ, or poisoning employees is OK? I doubt you meant that, but those are the real outcomes of just ignoring it.

Been in this business for 30 years and never seen anyone get lead poisoning. Not to mention kids getting sick from lead was going down before they enacted these rules.

MTN REMODEL LLC 10-16-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FStephenMasek (Post 1867669)
Knocking off a significant chunk of a child's IQ, or poisoning employees is OK? I doubt you meant that, but those are the real outcomes of just ignoring it.

So is being overweight.

rrk 10-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC (Post 1867678)
So is being overweight.

And video games, and TV, and....and.... and....

Calidecks 10-16-2013 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Californiadecks
Been in this business for 30 years and never seen anyone get lead poisoning. Not to mention kids getting sick from lead was going down before they enacted these rules.

Just got off the phone with my old man who was a contractor and is 90 years old, he said he's never heard of anyone getting sick from lead based paint. So he goes back along ways even longer then Griz, if you can believe that.

rosethornva 10-19-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Californiadecks (Post 1867754)
Just got off the phone with my old man who was a contractor and is 90 years old, he said he's never heard of anyone getting sick from lead based paint. So he goes back along ways even longer then Griz, if you can believe that.

CD, I'd bet there are a bunch of "old timers' who'd agree with your dad. The only incidence of lead poisoning I know of (personally) is the one mentioned before, where a small kid got lead poisoning after chewing on an old painted crib for many hours.

RRP is a new tax, nothing more, and a chance to grow government.

If we made a rule that foolish, lackadaisical people were not allowed to reproduce, that would also solve the lead paint problem. Most alert, attentive parents do not allow their children to gnaw on window sills for several hours each day.

MTN REMODEL LLC 10-19-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethornva (Post 1868943)
If we made a rule that foolish, lackadaisical people were not allowed to reproduce, that would also solve the lead paint problem. Most alert, attentive parents do not allow their children to gnaw on window sills for several hours each day.




+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have a local story in Denver now where a baby-sitter left a baby in the car seat carrier on the stove!!!!!!

(Baby survived the fire and currently the news thinks will be OK)

I guess there should have been a warning sticker on that damn car seat that says: "Caution, do not put car seat with baby in it on the stove"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.