Hud Housing Not Following EPA Laws - Lead RRP Discussion - Contractor Talk

Hud Housing Not Following EPA Laws

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

Hud Housing Not Following EPA Laws

I know someone who buys Hud housing all the time, and I asked him what the government has required of him for either buying or selling these homes as relates to lead. These laws have been on the books since sept 15, 2000. He says he has never been required to provide anything as related to lead, either testing, lead abatement, or lead safe practices. I asked him if there is any information on past lead inspection reports, and he says there are none. So if the government, who is selling these homes, is not even following their own regulations, what makes you think anything will come of these new lead laws?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

Trade: Interior Trim Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Hud Housing Not Following EPA Laws

Government not following their own rules.............now that's a surprise

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trim-man For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (05-20-2010), Cole (05-21-2010), pinwheel (05-21-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 25

Our company will be doing anywhere from 12-15 homes under a HUD grant this year, one of the bigger regulatory hurdles has been LBP compliance. The regulations are more or less similar than the EPA's rule, but we have made sure that we are in complete compliance. One of the contract stipulations was that an independent testing company would inspect each home for lead, asbestos and termites prior to the work commencing.

My only thought would be perhaps since they are selling these homes, and not contracting work the responsibility would fall on the new owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

Some of these homes have gone through several owners through the traditional means (homeowner buys it and fixes it up), (and he can only buy them if no homeowner bids on it in the first two weeks) and there is still no record of any lead tests done.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

Alarmed to see this in this weeks sentinel weekly thrown on my sidewalk

http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2010-05-2...e_project.html

Quote:
Scout spruces up church building for Eagle project
Above: Tyler Webb does some cleaning up outside Trinity United Methodist Church in Spotswood. The 14-year-old planned and executed an Eagle Scout project to improve the church building. Below: Scouts prep the walls of the church for painting. SPOTSWOOD — A local church has a nicer, safer exterior thanks to a local Scout.
Tyler Webb, 14, of Jamesburg decided that for his Eagle Scout project he wanted to improve the Trinity United Methodist Church on Manalapan Road, Spotswood.
“The church exterior was in bad condition, with the paint chipping, the walls had mildew, and it looked messy,” Tyler said, adding that it was “sad to look at.”
While he wanted to make the church’s appearance more inviting, Tyler also wanted to address safety and environmental issues. Paint chips, he noted, are dangerous because, like splinters, they can get into one’s skin, and young children could swallow them. They are also bad for fish if they get into area waterways. Mildew, he noted, is bad for people with allergies and can cause asthma attacks.
“By prepping the walls and painting, all of the things listed above would be eliminated. Then the church would be a safer environment for children and nature. It will also look good to all the people that would see it in the community,” Tyler said.
Tyler presented and finetuned his project plans with the church’s board of trustees, his scoutmaster and Eagle counselor. Once it was approved, he visited local businesses to ask for donations and ran a basket fundraiser at the church.
“Many local businesses stepped in to offer supplies, along with generous donations from church members,” he said. “Once the supplies were gathered, I then recruited, led and taught volunteers the tasks to prep and paint the exterior of the church over a series of weekends.”
With help from members of Boy Scout Troop 54, Jamesburg, church members, 4-H Frisky Paws, Immaculate Conception School, Monroe Lacrosse, and his family, Tyler completed the project earlier this month.
“The building exterior has improved greatly and is safer for the environment,” he said.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,234

Boy Scouts, church groups, habitat, non - profits, non - compensation, friends for free, are exempt.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
Boy Scouts, church groups, habitat, non - profits, non - compensation, friends for free, are exempt.

So lead doesn't harm these children then? is that what their sayin? Only when money changes hands does lead enter the blood stream?
The Following User Says Thank You to A W Smith For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-21-2010)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Pro

http://toxics.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/t...i=&p_topview=1
The Following User Says Thank You to We Fix Houses For This Useful Post:
A W Smith (05-21-2010)
Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Al Smith

So I am correct then. It's not the lead that harms the children. It's the money changing hands that triggers the lead poisoning. Thank you. that's good to know. This explains why my pastors wife called me the other day asking "if I was busy" because "an Indian couple who goes to our church" (her words not mine, don't shoot me) had "extensive water damage to their 1955 cape cod home while they away for a year in India.". I told her they live across the street from me and I had given mister Matagunta three estimates for other work in the past that came to no fruition as others had performed the work. There was silence at the other end of the phone. Perhaps she was hinting that I join a team and do the work for free? As our youth group mowed their lawn for that year. I told her that she could just give them my contact number and have them get in touch with me. And NO Not for free.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Pro

Its only going to get worse. Giving them a price with RRP that's $3000 higher than the next person will only result in your name (and mine) getting around as AW Smith prices are through the roof. That's all people will remember !

There's no enforcement, education, customer interest among 95% of the work out there. The customer will never be able to get their heads around yellow caution signs, caution tape, tyvek suites, respirators, 5 boxes of swiffers, testing result paperwork. All they'll come to find is that the Worthington's down the street got a great job from a great contractor in less time because it was $10,000 less.....

How do you install 1 ext door set, use Zipwall, tape the plastic to the walls and ceiling then remove the tape constantly without pulling the paint, dw paper and the rest off without tearing it up on occasion ? What am I supposed to tell the customer - that I'm not responsible for the 12 - 20 ft of slightly damaged finished area in their living room ----- sheeesh !!

I look around the LR, DR, hallway - who's going to repair and repaint this entire "furnished" area.....? It won't be me......?

Last edited by We Fix Houses; 05-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Al Smith

Which is why this regulation needs to be repealed. It was written as Argument By Emotive Language "protect the children" legislation.

An argument by emotive language is a logical fallacy used to sway opinion.
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...s.html#emotive

Living in a home with a sticking rubbing door for a year or two will expose you to as much lead as your basic window replacement job.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Pro

This is the problem that I'll briefly speak to in my letter. Voting against RRP will be perceived as poisoning children......Incidences of lead poising among children are going down thanks to educational and grant initiatives at the local level prior to RRP.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Al Smith

Quote:
This is the problem that I'll briefly speak to in my letter. Voting against RRP will be perceived as poisoning children......Incidences of lead poising among children are going down thanks to educational and grant initiatives at the local level.
see my hyperlink above. It is an argument by emotive language. Therefore. a fallacy. It is ok to be poisoned by non profits.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Pro

Here' s a local guy who's carved out a great business over the last several years.

Be sure to view the WXII TV link in the first paragraph.
http://www.hoggsblog.com/
Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
Al Smith

Quote:
Here' s a local guy who's carved out a great business over the last several years.

Be sure to view the WXII TV link in the first paragraph.
http://www.hoggsblog.com/

In the video clip "Beth Benton" uses the argument from emotive language fallacy I cited above. Note that Beth doesn't back her fallacious argument with statistics and raw data. Beth wants to keep her state job. More regulation will insure that she does.

Advertisement