Alabama & The RRP - Lead RRP Discussion - Contractor Talk

Alabama & The RRP

Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 4

Alabama & The RRP

Well, we are on our way to getting screwed over. It appears our lovely DPH is pushing through a program that will take effect in May. Oh & the classes you already took for the EPA, might not be valid...

http://blog.sls-construction.com/?p=637

There still might be time to get this squashed or postponed, but we will have to push hard & fast on the legislature, etc...

Last edited by SLSTech; 02-16-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 934

Re: Alabama & The RRP

This is bad for all of us. SLS (Sean) has been an advocate for us in many ways on the National level.

Now that he has his own state to tangle with, I hope he still has time to keep up the good work he has done for us too.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Sean

Latest Update:

Public Notice - http://www.alabamaadministrativecode...0/420-3-29.pdf
Meeting is this upcoming Thursday

The proposed regulation (only place you will find it online) http://www.sls-construction.com/Resources/ALA_RRP.pdf

Blog Posting: 41 Days to go – Alabama RRP Update

RS - thanks for the kind words, I am keeping up with both & plan to for a while
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Sean

Well as a quick update - we managed to squash the first update, but they managed to sneak a new one through.

Alabama is now the 10th state to take over the RRP. The catch with this one though is it applies to anyone who plans the work also (i.e. Architects, Designers, Consultants, etc...), there is a yearly $100 fee for every employee to be certified, $300 yearly firm fee, and a specific notice & fee must be submitted before a job is started just for starters --- http://blog.sls-construction.com/201...rp-implemented
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Notification prior to starting a job, should make their scheduling (to catch you doing something wrong) more efficient.

SLS..I spent the last 1/2 hour reading on your site... nice
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
SLSTech (12-04-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 77

Well, we are on our way to getting screwed over. It appears our lovely DPH is pushing through a program that will take effect in May

Good luck!! I am from Wis and they were one of the first states to do their own licensing. And our wonderful dept of health services deemed it necessary to make the rules stricter than EPA. Epa standard are 5000 ppm Wis decided to lower it to 600 ppm---so guess what?? THERE ARE NO TEST KITS AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME TO TEST AT THAT LEVEL. So we have to follow rules on all pre 1978 homes---we have no way to test for lead. Mighty considerate of someone to sit behind a desk and regulate something they know nothing about--while we are out in the field busting our butts to make a living in all kinds of weather conditions and economic downturns. I called one regulator of this rule and asked him---If I do a siding job where I am tearing off old wood siding on a two story house and it has an attached one story garage, how do I put plastic on the garage roof and then try work on it without falling on my butt. His reply was this "I dont know if I am familiar with a situation like that, I might have to drive down and take a look at it" I about lost it--I said you have never seen a two story house with a one story garage attached to it??? I dont think he had a clue what I was talking about. In my humble opinion if you want a positive spin on the state taking over epa regs look at it this way--- you may be providing a job locally to someone that doesnt have the mental capacity or compassion to function in the real world but will shine like a beacon in the government. It will help unemployment numbers,but you may not have any work or be so strangled with regs that it is near impossible to make a living at what you love and have done for years.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 16

Yep, states and counties are jumping on the fee bandwagon to squeeze us a little further. In reality, what it does is raise prices and makes it harder for the lower income people that really need help fixing up their homes. It really has little to do with lead, that is just the ploy for "helping the downtrodden".

Advertisement