For You That Run Their Own Bathroom Remodeling &/ Kitchen Remodeling Company - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

For You That Run Their Own Bathroom Remodeling &/ Kitchen Remodeling Company

Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #1

Trade: waterproofer
Rewards Points: 2

For You That Run Their Own Bathroom Remodeling &/ Kitchen Remodeling Company

Hey!

So I'm thinking about jumping into starting my own kitchen/bathroom remodeling company, but I have some questions and was wondering if any of you guys here could help me out

1: What are the disadvantages/struggles of running a kitchen/bathroom remodeling company?

2: What would eventually be the struggles?

3: Is it hard to get leads?

5: What do you normally offer? Whats the thing that gives you the most money for the least effort of work? (so I have an idea of what I can also market for my company for a bit faster growth, as well as my services)

I appreciate the answers I get here, and I hope you speak from your own experiences!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,636

Re: For You That Run Their Own Bathroom Remodeling &/ Kitchen Remodeling Company

4. How do you stay focused?

Advertisement

AustinDB (02-28-2018), Bull Trout (03-04-2018), Jaws (03-01-2018), larry228 (03-02-2018), RickP (02-28-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,696

Re: For You That Run Their Own Bathroom Remodeling &/ Kitchen Remodeling Company

What kind of waterproofing do you do?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,124

It's all about selections and schedule. You get a few jobs running at the same time and need forward progress at every job every day. If a sub or suplier screws you (or you drop the ball) and there is a dead day at the job it is a big deal to the people kicked out of the space. If that day turns to a a few days or a week, it is a catastrophe.

Dust controll being the third item that comes to mind.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I would jump into the leads and review web service instead. Less overhead and headache. You can even make up reviews and charge companies to make them go away or give you good ones. It's cheap, fun and you get to toy with people's livleyhoods.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSmith View Post
It's all about selections and schedule. You get a few jobs running at the same time and need forward progress at every job every day. If a sub or suplier screws you (or you drop the ball) and there is a dead day at the job it is a big deal to the people kicked out of the space. If that day turns to a a few days or a week, it is a catastrophe.

Dust controll being the third item that comes to mind.
i totally agree with this

all of the above, also you have to make sure you sell yourself and the job correctly and charge appropriately. screw ups do happen, especially with high end jobs, you have to make sure your covered. the only way to do that is to know how to sell the job, which means knowing the ins and outs of every single part of the entire job. no fixing or band aids, rip it out and replace, make it frekin awesome, your the best at what you do and the price reflects that, people pay your prices because you dont provide headaches.

now the kicker is.... you actually have to do that
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
New Guy

also in my experience, i have yet to learn a way to completely eliminate client discomfort... dust, paint, noise, schedules... i am ALWAYS blunt with my clients and flat out tell them problems happen, there will be dust but we will do our best, and schedules change constantly, i may come in a week early, i may be a week late due to city problems\issues\lead times, etc... and its a construction project, there will be noise. when i do a major reno for residential ive actually told a couple (happily married) they may want a divorce while the project is going on. of course jokingly, but i did get my point across that renos tend to piss everyone off, no matter how much you try to accommodate, someone will have an issue. the best thing to do is blow their mind away with superior craftsmanship, and teach them how to roll with the punches.

just my 2 cents, anyone agree?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
This space for lease

I would ease up on the divorce jokes. Remodels can be stressful no matter how good the company is. Hubby and wife may well be at odds on the work in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Jspence (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
I would ease up on the divorce jokes. Remodels can be stressful no matter how good the company is. Hubby and wife may well be at odds on the work in the first place.
your right, imo its better to be super blunt, and put them on the chopping block before the work starts instead of finding out mid job. i wanna be nice and sweet and pat them on the back, ive just had so many clients try and screw me over, or change their mind after ive started. im at the point now where my business has grown enough i make it perfectly clear that i dont need their business, they need me... i know its harsh and insensitive but in my experience it lowers my stress levels, which to me is most important... everyone's got different ways of handling clients, many are right, lots are wrong.. 99 ways to skin a cat :-P
Old 03-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
This space for lease

I don't have big wheels to grease so if I get a whiff of a red flag I will probably bail. I've ignored too many. But there's no reason to introduce a potential land mine. I just limit the conversation to the job at hand. If I get to know them then I might discuss the weather.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDEVINC View Post
also in my experience, i have yet to learn a way to completely eliminate client discomfort... dust, paint, noise, schedules... i am ALWAYS blunt with my clients and flat out tell them problems happen, there will be dust...
I can't remember where or when I picked it up, but I have a little spiel I give to the HO before getting into a bigger project. I draw a big U and explain to them that we're here at the top of the U where everyone is excited and happy looking forward to getting a new kitchen/bath/whatever. But once we get started, we're going into the bottom of the U where there's going to be noise, dust, some unforseen delay or issue and it can be stressful. Then, we'll get the job done, it will look great and everyone will be so excited about their new kitchen/bath/whatever when we hit the other side of the U. I tell them to remember that far side of the U when we're in the middle. To cap off the point, I put two dots over the U turning it into a smiley face.
It seems to work to get the point across that renovations and construction can be a little dusty and inconvenient, or even downright maddening, but it will help them keep an eye on the goal and not the obstacle in the way.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 AM   #12
This space for lease

Sounds like something you'd say to a child.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #13
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,710

Stick to your guns or get a job working for a remodeling company and learn the and ups and downs and do's and dont's which come with the trade...
That's the only way you can make a change in your trade without starting out on the wrong foot and learn from costly mistakes on the customer's jobs while killing your own reputation.

Good luck
Old 03-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

Bath remodels are pretty much all I do right now.

Bid high, bid often. Have contracts. Get paid often. I get 40-50-% before I roll my truck in (some states don't alloow that).

Build a portfolio of your work (and list references). This was a game-changer for me.

Meet and talk with people and pass out your business cards like candy.

Many of my customers are by word of mouth or repeat homeowners.

About mess? Yeah, I give them a big warning and keep reminding them as the project goes along. Tell them about dust, stink and how often you'll be in and out the door. Tell them multiple times and put it in the contract as well.

I never give a precise finish date, just a roundabout guess and I make sure they know that. 4-6 weeks in my average.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I can't remember where or when I picked it up, but I have a little spiel I give to the HO before getting into a bigger project. I draw a big U and explain to them that we're here at the top of the U where everyone is excited and happy looking forward to getting a new kitchen/bath/whatever. But once we get started, we're going into the bottom of the U where there's going to be noise, dust, some unforseen delay or issue and it can be stressful. Then, we'll get the job done, it will look great and everyone will be so excited about their new kitchen/bath/whatever when we hit the other side of the U. I tell them to remember that far side of the U when we're in the middle. To cap off the point, I put two dots over the U turning it into a smiley face.
It seems to work to get the point across that renovations and construction can be a little dusty and inconvenient, or even downright maddening, but it will help them keep an eye on the goal and not the obstacle in the way.

That's really good and easily portrays the message. I honestly believe
HO's have no idea what is to come (and how ugly things can get) when they sign the contract. The more they know ahead of time the better.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdc View Post
That's really good and easily portrays the message. I honestly believe
HO's have no idea what is to come (and how ugly things can get) when they sign the contract. The more they know ahead of time the better.
If I felt the need to explain to an adult that there will be dust and noise during a remodel I would feel guilty about taking their money. They are pretty much helpless. I don't understand the modern trend in treating customers like babies. Makes them act like one.

All of my customers know. No one has ever complained, heck even kids would understand.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 5,244

Quote:
Bath remodels are pretty much all I do right now.

Bid high, bid often. Have contracts. Get paid often. I get 40-50-% before I roll my truck in (some states don't alloow that).

Build a portfolio of your work (and list references). This was a game-changer for me.

Meet and talk with people and pass out your business cards like candy.

Many of my customers are by word of mouth or repeat homeowners.

About mess? Yeah, I give them a big warning and keep reminding them as the project goes along. Tell them about dust, stink and how often you'll be in and out the door. Tell them multiple times and put it in the contract as well.

I never give a precise finish date, just a roundabout guess and I make sure they know that. 4-6 weeks in my average.
When I was newer especially, NOT taking money up front probably helped me close a lot of deals.

To this day I still don't take money up front for smaller remodels, though I am starting to take a few percent down to lock people in my year out schedule on projects over $100k.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
If I felt the need to explain to an adult that there will be dust and noise during a remodel I would feel guilty about taking their money. They are pretty much helpless. I don't understand the modern trend in treating customers like babies. Makes them act like one.

All of my customers know. No one has ever complained, heck even kids would understand.
Well-educated, competent and successful adults still might be surprised at the quantity of dust, especially with lath and plaster. I just finished removing 16,000 pounds of basically dust for just a kitchen and two bathroom remodel.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
When I was newer especially, NOT taking money up front probably helped me close a lot of deals.

To this day I still don't take money up front for smaller remodels, though I am starting to take a few percent down to lock people in my year out schedule on projects over $100k.
When just starting out (and if you have no working capital) you'll at least need money upfront for material purchases and some cash to cover your first week or so of expenses(gas, etc).

I mentioned that because most people who start a new biz don't have a lot of money nor do they want to take out a start-up bank-load to get rolling.

I find that asking for money upfront the HO's know I'm not fooling around. I present the contract, collect... and get right to work. It also shows the committment of the HO. I guess other approaches work and everyone is different. Whatever works.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #20
edward trowelhands

Quote:
When just starting out (and if you have no working capital) you'll at least need money upfront for material purchases and some cash to cover your first week or so of expenses(gas, etc).

I mentioned that because most people who start a new biz don't have a lot of money nor do they want to take out a start-up bank-load to get rolling.

I find that asking for money upfront the HO's know I'm not fooling around. I present the contract, collect... and get right to work. It also shows the committment of the HO. I guess other approaches work and everyone is different. Whatever works.
Very true, lots of approaches work. Especially if you're starting right away. Around here, almost no one is starting within a month or two of contract signing.

Not having working capital is a good way to be motivated, but also a good way to go out of business. If you need to keep collecting those deposits to pay current bills, you're in a tough spot.

Honestly my biggest advice would be don't even try unless/until you have some money to pay the bills. Way too risky otherwise.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
asevereid (03-02-2018), Jaws (03-09-2018), KAP (03-02-2018)