Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!) - Page 3 - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #41
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,308
Rewards Points: 21,254

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Right, but you can't have an exception to "none". It turns it into some. You can't have some and none occupy the same space. Like I said I either have none, or not any, of something or I have some.

Do you have any apples?

I have none, except this one in my hand.

See it doesn't make sense. You either have none of something or you have some of something.
Your apple analogy is stupid and you're right it doesn't make sense and isn't the same. Let's stick to what was said. The word "unless" directly creates an exception. It's perfectly proper. In fact, the word unless means "except if". It's the same as saying. "Unless it's about a client it's none of my business".

Last edited by Calidecks; 06-26-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Calidecks is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #42
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,310
Rewards Points: 1,244

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


It's not stupid. It perfectly illustrates my point.

You cannot have an exception to none. It's either some of his business (anything said about clients) or it's none of his business.

Meaning he had a line. It's just very small. But he has a line. When you say what they post on their personal time is none of your business and then outline when it is your business you have contradicted yourself.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #43
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,310
Rewards Points: 1,244

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


There are degrees to it being your business. It starts at zero, or none and then goes from there.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #44
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,904
Rewards Points: 10,842

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Don't do social media. Non of my business if I did. If I read they had problems with me, I would just put my passive agressive tendencies to work. They wouldn't know what hit them. Probably good I think Facebook and such is for weasels.
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinylHanger For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-26-2015), TNTRenovate (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #45
The Remodeler
 
Splinter's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Remodeler
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,535
Rewards Points: 240

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


fired for posting a picture on facebook...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/north-charl...ry?id=32038900
Splinter is offline  
Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #46
Thread Reading Aficionado
 
Builders Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Certified Building Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,785
Rewards Points: 1,426

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


If they are defacing the company name, for sure. If they are posting something that would just make them a "bad apple" or whatever you want to say then usually they are the same in person and I wouldn't want them in the company in the first place. AND yes I do investigate who works for me to an extent, gotta keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I want to know who I am working with, customers and employees.
Builders Inc. is offline  
Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #47
Pro
 
fast fred's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: trailer in colorado where the rich live
Posts: 743
Rewards Points: 828

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


as someone who has a zero presence on social media except for a few anonymous internet forums like this one.............. I think social media is pretty darn funny and i don't get it

I know a handful of people who live their lives out on social media yet have a very low skill level of being able to function in the real world such as meeting people randomly, having basic conversations with people you don't know too well, etc etc they are good people but I find it very disturbing

idiotic people will be idiotic on social media, if someone comes across as a dumb azz in real life, well they will be the same as they sit behind a computer

I could care less what people post, everyone takes online reviews, etc so personal yet you have to learn to read between the lines, someone who is difficult in real life day in and day out will write a crappy review that contractor A did a bad job, hence why anonymous online reviews are absurd, i for one have no online reviews of me or my business anywhere, which I think is great, I feel for some of the guys on here who get slammed by some nut job who gives them a bad review

so here is my example if I wrote about the day I am going to have today on social media would you fire me: I woke up had coffee, bong hits, read the paper, I'm now going to answer some business emails, more bong hits, get on my mountain bike and ride for seven hrs, posting pictures on line of me along the way toking down every half hr, covering 40 plus miles of trail with prerolled joints I bought at the store, would I be a determinant to your company since my day is full of pot smoking and bike riding and I posted that online for all your customers to see?

So glad I have no online presence
fast fred is offline  
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #48
Pro
 
AGullion's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Huntsville,Alabama
Posts: 1,069
Rewards Points: 1,422

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Here's what you guys need to ask yourself...could someone fire you because of social media ? My point is , anything related to the customer , the job, the work or photos should not be posted without consent, and your employees need to know that.
AGullion is offline  
Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #49
Have Trowel, Do travel
 
brunothedog's Avatar
 
Trade: Artisan
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: international
Posts: 909
Rewards Points: 1,188

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


my father used to say with italian accent, "i dont care if your black, blue, yellow, take it up the azz, put it in the azz, etc.

from 7 am till 6 pm, your mine.
after what you do is your own fukkin' business"

I remember as a youngin' , on mondays during the summer.
going down to detroit city jail to bail out a few of our workers.

4 times in one summer.

i used to look forward to mondays when i was a kid.

as for FB, same reasoning applies
__________________
I used to love the days when you could look at an unattended bag on a train or bus and think to yourself...'Iím going to take that.'

Last edited by brunothedog; 06-27-2015 at 09:49 AM.
brunothedog is offline  
Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #50
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,456
Rewards Points: 4,062

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGullion View Post
Here's what you guys need to ask yourself...could someone fire you because of social media ? My point is , anything related to the customer , the job, the work or photos should not be posted without consent, and your employees need to know that.
Yes, that's the current situation - and I disagree.

Completely un-American.

Of course, I also think "social media" panders to the lowest common denominator and highest advertising return - but that's just me.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 06-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #51
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,308
Rewards Points: 21,254

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Yes, that's the current situation - and I disagree.

Completely un-American.

Of course, I also think "social media" panders to the lowest common denominator and highest advertising return - but that's just me.
Un-American? My company is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship. I pay you to give up your rights when you work for me. When you're not working for me do what you want, but involve my business or my clients in any of your off duty behavior, it will be scutinized and if determined by me to be inappropriate you will be fired. That's not unreasonable. Do you have the right to behave any way you please. Absolutely. However, with those rights comes responsibilities and CONSEQUENCES.

I live in an at will state. I can fire you because I don't like you. Legally.
Calidecks is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
SamM (06-27-2015), TNTRenovate (06-28-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #52
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,456
Rewards Points: 4,062

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Un-American? My company is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship. I pay you to give up your rights when you work for me. When you're not working for me do what you want, but involve my business or my clients in any of your off duty behavior, it will be scutinized and if determined by me to be inappropriate you will be fired. That's not unreasonable. Do you have the right to behave any way you please. Absolutely. However, with those rights comes responsibilities and CONSEQUENCES.

I live in an at will state. I can fire you because I don't like you. Legally.
Yes.

2 pages back I said:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/wo...3/#post3180745

"It's none of my business unless you make it my business."

And no, no you do not have the authority to ask someone to "give up their rights".

But yes, you can fire at will.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 06-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #53
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,308
Rewards Points: 21,254

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Yes.

2 pages back I said:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/wo...3/#post3180745

"It's none of my business unless you make it my business."

And no, no you do not have the authority to ask someone to "give up their rights".

But yes, you can fire at will.
When I demand they be here at 8 they can say no because of their rights? Ok but they're fired
Calidecks is online now  
Old 06-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #54
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,308
Rewards Points: 21,254

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


I can fire them because they chose their rights over me
Calidecks is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #55
Pro
 
CarpenterSFO's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 7,076
Rewards Points: 2,044

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


A post on the general subject: http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=31743
__________________
- Bob
CarpenterSFO is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #56
Pro
 
Creter's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,015
Rewards Points: 1,966

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Un-American? My company is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship. I pay you to give up your rights when you work for me. When you're not working for me do what you want, but involve my business or my clients in any of your off duty behavior, it will be scutinized and if determined by me to be inappropriate you will be fired. That's not unreasonable. Do you have the right to behave any way you please. Absolutely. However, with those rights comes responsibilities and CONSEQUENCES.

I live in an at will state. I can fire you because I don't like you. Legally.
These words hold a lot of salt with me.

I go back to the day of a fair days wage for a fair days work. At the end of the day everything is squared up and tomorrow starts fresh.

And as Mike stated I agree a fair days work is defined by Mike for his company and by me for my company. Are they the exact same? Not 100% but I bet they would be pretty close...

A number of people today feel that they are entitled to be treated above fair or awesome without earning the right to be treated fair to begin with.

That falls outside of what I think is an even deal and therefore if adjustment is not made on their end - it's time to part ways.
Creter is offline  
Old 06-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #57
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,456
Rewards Points: 4,062

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
When I demand they be here at 8 they can say no because of their rights? Ok but they're fired
You been hanging out with TNT again?

What has reasonable hours of work got to do with social media or "rights"?

Shifting the focus back to what "I" said....

"It's none of my business unless you make it my business."

Rooting thru others "social media" - even if its "public" - I know that "getting the dirt" on everyone (Thank you NSA) is all the rage these days, but that don't make it right. If somebody is saying truly harmful things about your biz - you'll find out soon enough anyways.

Fact is, I just ripped into somebody on another thread for badmouthing a "potential employer" over what they perceived as not good practices.
To me, that's an example of what somebody says - affect MY BUSINESS. Inbstantly got me fired up too.

When you said "My company is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship", I laughed - because that's EXACTLY what I say. But I know I have legal limits on that, and I temper my short temper with reasonable limits.

When the OP said "My point is , anything related to the customer , the job, the work or photos should not be posted without consent, and your employees need to know that.", I had to rethink it. Yup, as long as that is your company's policy, and the employee is made aware of and consents to it- that's the way it is.

Which may explain why I've been self-employed most of my life....

Now you want to go off on a tangent -fine. But people gonna look at you funny talking to yourself, because I ain't playing this silly chit.

Other than that, we agree 100% - as usual.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 06-27-2015 at 03:54 PM.
SmallTownGuy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-30-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #58
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,308
Rewards Points: 21,254

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Yes.

2 pages back I said:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/wo...3/#post3180745

"It's none of my business unless you make it my business."

And no, no you do not have the authority to ask someone to "give up their rights".

But yes, you can fire at will.
Because you said this and it's just not true. I can ask anything I want. I can require it as well, as long as it's within labor laws
Calidecks is online now  
Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #59
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,456
Rewards Points: 4,062

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Because you said this and it's just not true. I can ask anything I want. I can require it as well, as long as it's within labor laws
"And no, no you do not have the authority to ask someone to "give up their rights".

Unless "social media" is in the reply, I'm done. No more p*ssing matches.

Find TNT if you want that.

EDIT: Here you know what? You stated what you stated, I've stated what I've stated.

You will think what you will, and I'll do the same.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 06-27-2015 at 05:19 PM.
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 06-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #60
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,640
Rewards Points: 10,084

Re: Would You Fire Someone Because Of Social Media? (Swag Giveaway!)


I wouldnt. Well unless its pictures of them at bikeweek when they said they were sick or something.

Advertisement

JBM is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is better ROI? Social media marketing or your website HomerJ Marketing & Sales 91 06-26-2013 08:53 AM
Fire Rating of garage walls, exterior siding Richard_N_S General Discussion 9 12-12-2012 09:58 PM
Wondering about ROI of Social Media? BonnieLowe Marketing & Sales 30 01-04-2012 06:07 AM
Social Media - " Be Social " MagicPoolSvcs Marketing & Sales 21 01-07-2011 10:02 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?