Work For Anyone Famous? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Work For Anyone Famous?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Work For Anyone Famous?

Ever done any work for someone so famous, most everyone would recognize their name? Me, no as a business. When I was an apprentice, I was with an outfit where we did work for Dorothy Hamill (Ice Capades chick) and Lynda Evans (Wonder Woman TV show). You?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Re: Work For Anyone Famous?

On the same street I did work for Charlie Brown and Pamela Anderson. Charlie Brown was a 70 year old guy and Pamela Anderson was not even close to the real one.

I have done work for old ball players but since I am not a sports fan they did not mean anything to me.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

Quite a few, actually. Michael Dell, Sandra Bullock, and countless sports stars, as well as some I can't even mention. One of my customers is known as the "Mason to the stars", for his affinity for celebrity work. Some of the restrictions required are pretty silly, in fact, but they pay for them, yes they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 142

When I workd in estimating for a steel building company, Toby Kieth made a personal appearance....looking at the designs for his new horse areana and barn...I really thought he was a snob then, and this was long before he got to the top of the charts. I have met a few "famous" people, and they are just like anyone else, and just like most people, I wouldn't walk across the street to invade their privacy. Many years ago, I was on a plane and Gary Busey was seated right before the door was closed. United flight, no first class, and he was seated 2 or 3 rows ahead of me....and I had to be one of the few that did not ask for an autograph, or shake his hand...hell, he probably thought I was a snob, and I was only respecting his space. Of course, I would have liked to have met him, but........

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

I worked for a guy who's dad was a old school NFL player. I now work for a guy that played for the Steelers and the Hawks. He got a ring with the Steelers back in 78.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

Back when I was working in a spray booth for a restoration company, a job called "Hall" appeared. Endless trim and misc. pieces to be sprayed....day in, day out. Found out it was all the trim from a mansion that was owned by Darryl Hall from Hall & Oates...despite the fact that they are way out of my musical likes and way overly corny.....

I thought I was God
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
It is what it is

Trade: Roofing, Remodeling, Concrete
Rewards Points: 252

I helped a friend of mine do an elevator repair in eminems house, never met him nor did i really want to.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry

Al Capone,Al Capone's godson and namesake.Was given a fax machine from a Lord Hanson that had the numbers for Thatcher,Sinatra,Reagen listed to name a few. His dad had owned London Brick Company.He owned Eveready,Peabody mines,Eureka,Jacuzzi.He'd advertise on To Meet The Press as your typical 15 billion dollar company.Lord White(British Airways) used to hang around along with one of the actors that played James Bond.Don't recall the name.My wife used to run errands for them and would go to Speilberg's or Kirk Douglas's house to deliver gifts and whatnot.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry

...and Lee Iacocca bitched about our sandpile blocking his view if that counts.
Oscar Myer's brother?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
Insert title

I use to donate my time working the football games for my church. We would have to monitor the club house doors and only let people in with Patriot passes or tickets. Since I am not a football fan the players when not in uniform look like big thugs to me. "You don't know who I am" like little kids, they would get all pissed off having to show their ID like I should know their names. The teams owners son just found it funny every time I asked for his ID. Some punk by the name of Jestin Timberlake or TImberland bragged to the owner that he snuck past us.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Ever done any work for someone so famous, most everyone would recognize their name? Me, no as a business. When I was an apprentice, I was with an outfit where we did work for Dorothy Hamill (Ice Capades chick) and Lynda Evans (Wonder Woman TV show). You?

Worked for a guy named Eldon once.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #12

Trade: Sitework
Rewards Points: 75

Did the earthwork for the home of George Strait and am currently working on the home for Tony Parker and Eva Longoria. We also did some consulting for Calvin Klein's house in the Hamptons.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration

We've done work on Kobe Bryants parent's home, Gary Barberra's house, Mike Schmidt's house and a couple of high profile attorneys, but no one at star level.

Pete Karmanos (owner of the Carolina Hurricanes) is our neighbor in Ocean City, NJ. Does that count?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Built a log house for Bruno Gerussi of "Beachcombers" fame (?) That's a Canadian drama/sitcom from the seventies/eighties. I never met her, but the real Pamela Anderson grew up here and I know people who went to school with her. Put a losing bid in on a house for Lynrd Skynrd, and a few years ago built some cabinets for Gillian Anderson.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 142

Must be human nature to chase the rich and famous....A good friend of mine played in a house band/fill in at a recording studio when he was trying to break into country musuc...well,....he didn't break in...came home, and resumed carpet laying as a trade til he died, but he did a lot of picking while there...one of the most tallented guitarists I have ever had the pleasure of knowing our playing with...his "baby" was a '72 Blondie Telecaster....so anyway, David Allan Coe comes to Enid, Oklahoma, and my buddy calls me and says he has tickets, want to go? Sure...so there were are, sitting a few rows back, and David spots my friend, and one of his guys catches us at the end of the show, and we were invited to join him on his tour bus for a awhile before he left....my friend had played backup in a few of his recordings....I don't think I even said a word, just sat there and listened to them talk about music for an hour...seemed like a realy nice guy. I know another guy who opened for DAC at a show, and met him, claimed he was the biggest jerk he ever met.....so it beats me.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 542

when i worked in nashville tenn,my foreman was james garver,who at the time was garth's lead guitar player.got to meet garth a few times thru james.was in a kroger's there and roy acuff was in the checkout line behind us.got my first paycheck out there the day keith whitley dies.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 75

The company i was working for before i went out on my own.....high end aquarium systems and cabinetry. The web addy is LIVINGCOLOR.com...can't post a URL yet. I was the lead installation tech, required to travel all over the world. Did large aquarium/cabinetry installations for many "name" people....Ladanian Tomlinson, running back for the Chargers, Roy Williams, safety for the Cowboys, Daunte Culpepper, quarterback for the Dolphins, Chris Tucker, that black actor with the high pitched voice in the Jackie Chan movies.....as well as many others. Really is a niche market, so not so surprising to do alot of very wealthy/well known folks.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #18
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
We've done work on Kobe Bryants parent's home, Gary Barberra's house, Mike Schmidt's house and a couple of high profile attorneys, but no one at star level.

Pete Karmanos (owner of the Carolina Hurricanes) is our neighbor in Ocean City, NJ. Does that count?
We use to summer in Ocean City on Sunset street, then moved to Ocean ave, across from the high school.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Recently, Joe Namath, Greg Norman and Wayne Huizinga. I've been trying to get some intel on Tiger Woods new place, there's going to be a lot of work there.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

When I started out I was a foreman for this painting company and we did most of the Piston's houses, Chuck Daily, Dennis Rodman, Joe Dumars. My brother painted Ernie Harwell's house.

Advertisement