Window Order Scam - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Window Order Scam

Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 80

Window Order Scam

Below are the emails I received the past couple days.

My name is Robert,I want to order of Windows, Well i need you to get back to me with the quote for the following Windows cost with tax Only Non installation also WITH OUT ANY Shipping.

Single Hung - White Vinyl Frames with Insulated/Low E/Argon Glass, 24 W. x 30 H,
Quantities of Windows : 30 Windows
For a New Construction project.

Kindly work with the specs above quote so that we can proceed.
Advice the method of credit card payment you accept.
So i will like you to Email me back with the estimate price on what i requested at your earliest Convenience.Counting on your prompt response.
Best Regard,
Robert Heinrich
Wise Thorpe Real Estate Service Inc
Email: [email protected]

So I shot him a quick absurdly high price back and received the following

Am ok with the quote and am ready to proceed payment with my credit card, But i will like to recommend you to freight company for the pickup,Am shipping this windows to one my associate in Puerto Rico. I would like you to contact this freight company for the pickup (A A M freight forwarders Inc), and the information that the shipping company will request in order to provide you with the shipping quote is below,

1. The Full pick up location Address
2. The Weight, size and Quantity of the unit to be picked up and shipped
3.The Delivery Address is blow,

Suzanne Reyes
1232 Calle Aurora Ave
MayagŁez, Puerto Rico 00680

Blow is the Contact Details of the shipping company,

Name of shippers: A A M freight forwarders Inc
E-mail: [email protected] Or [email protected]
Contact Person: Marvin Jackson

As soon as they get back to you with the freight quote then add it to the windows cost and email me with the grand total of the windows including shipping all together so that i can finalize the order with my credit card. Thank you very much and waiting for your prompt responds.
Warm Regards,
Robert
Phone : 9404889437

The sad realization is people actually fall for this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Re: Window Order Scam

LOL.... that SAME guy contacted me. I did the same thing, by quoting a ridiculous high price. Then, emailed him an unfortunate price in crease from the factory. Then quoted weights to his shipping company of 100# per window, went back and forth with them on delays, then factory requirements for shipping over seas or out of the country or some such.

Then the conversation went back to the original guy on shipping requirements for out of the country shipping and any other nonsense I could come up with. With everything FINALLY all ironed out, and him all excited to get his windows, with him certain he had me on the hook....

I then told him his payment arrangements were not satisfactory to me. I must be paid in full, with a cashier's check drawn on an Indianapolis bank of my choosing, before I would order anything. He finally said to me.... "I think you're trying to scam me."

I never heard from them again.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (02-11-2016)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 80

I like how he spelled below, blow, twice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

I have had several reincarnations of a person doing something similar...

His line is regarding a kitchen or bathroom but everything else is the same as you spoke of pretty much...
Old 07-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creter View Post
I have had several reincarnations of a person doing something similar...

His line is regarding a kitchen or bathroom but everything else is the same as you spoke of pretty much...
If I've got the spare time.... I LOVE to mess with them. I keep changing prices or "shipping" requirements and all kinds of stuff. When they finally agree to all of my changes, I then hit them with the payment thing.

I had one guy on the hook for over a week. I'll bet he was bragging to all of his friends about how h had one "in the bag" with me.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #6

Trade: Genral Contractor
Rewards Points: 264

Whenever I see the word "kindly" in any strange email a light bulb goes off.....kindly western union me the money............
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhode Island For This Useful Post:
CO762 (07-09-2015), slowsol (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Usually they send you a check from some overseas bank for whatever they looking to buy and they will include the extra amount (1 or 2k) for shipping which should be forwarded to a shipping company... Overseas checks take longer to clear but if you call the bank which is listed on the check, the bank will confirm the check is legit and there is available funds to cover that amount. They will tell you the name of the company who will handle the shipping and to please wire that extra amount which was included (1-2k) to that shipping company.

The scam is praying on people who will not wait for the check to clear and wire the money after getting bank confirmation that the check is legit and there is fonds available...That is the whole scam.

It happened to a friend of my, who is a car dealer and sells cars on ebay. Same scenario with the check, they wanted to buy a car and send him the check with extras to be wired to a shipping company.
He deposits the check and goes on vacation, figuring by the time he returns the check will clear... when he returned the FBI froze his account and they were investigating the ongoing fraud.

Most people don't wait for checks to clear and they rush to get their money and fall prey to these people. I was watching 48 HR a while back and also another show The American Greed (I think that was the name) and they said that millions of people fall prey to this scams, because some offers are hard to refuse.
Even American Senator a while back got nailed in the scam which said there is millions of dollars which need to be claimed, and to release the money he had to pay tax and some fees which amounted to a few hundred thousand and sure enough he sent them a check.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
Whenever I see the word "kindly" in any strange email a light bulb goes off.....kindly western union me the money............
Growing up in Brooklyn, every time someone offers me something for free, the lightbulb goes off in my head and I know it will cost me... so when that happens, I turn and don't look back
Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
LOL.... that SAME guy contacted me. I did the same thing, by quoting a ridiculous high price. Then, emailed him an unfortunate price in crease from the factory. Then quoted weights to his shipping company of 100# per window, went back and forth with them on delays, then factory requirements for shipping over seas or out of the country or some such.

Then the conversation went back to the original guy on shipping requirements for out of the country shipping and any other nonsense I could come up with. With everything FINALLY all ironed out, and him all excited to get his windows, with him certain he had me on the hook....

I then told him his payment arrangements were not satisfactory to me. I must be paid in full, with a cashier's check drawn on an Indianapolis bank of my choosing, before I would order anything. He finally said to me.... "I think you're trying to scam me."

I never heard from them again.
You where trying to scam a scammer , now that is just wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
greg24k (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,836

My latest reply to one of these emails :

Thank you for the opportunity to bid. I calculate it will cost you $68,475 to complete the electrical portion of our project. I will require a deposit of $12,000 to accompany a signed contract.

Please provide me a complete set of architectural drawing and a specifications book for submittal to the AHJ for plan review.

I will also require a current schedule for the project.

In addition, I did note several Code violations, ineffeciencies and poor planning techniques. I offer Value Engineering services for $2,500 for a project of this size. Typical ROI is $8,000.

Please let me know if this is the proper email to send my final contract documents to, and if not let me know who is authorized by your company to sign contracts.

Please note that time will be of the essence as many of the lighting components are special order items which may have long lead times.

Again, thank you for the opportunity to bid on this project and I look forward to working with you on it and seeing a successful completion.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 32

Send cash only
Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,990

I almost wish I would get one of those, so I could play too.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #13

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjann View Post
Below are the emails I received the past couple days.

My name is Robert,I want to order of Windows, Well i need you to get back to me with the quote for the following Windows cost with tax Only Non installation also WITH OUT ANY Shipping.

Single Hung - White Vinyl Frames with Insulated/Low E/Argon Glass, 24 W. x 30 H,
Quantities of Windows : 30 Windows
For a New Construction project.

Kindly work with the specs above quote so that we can proceed.
Advice the method of credit card payment you accept.
So i will like you to Email me back with the estimate price on what i requested at your earliest Convenience.Counting on your prompt response.
Best Regard,
Robert Heinrich

So I shot him a quick absurdly high price back and received the following

Am ok with the quote and am ready to proceed payment with my credit card, But i will like to recommend you to freight company for the pickup,Am shipping this windows to one my associate in Puerto Rico. I would like you to contact this freight company for the pickup (A A M freight forwarders Inc), and the information that the shipping company will request in order to provide you with the shipping quote is below,

1. The Full pick up location Address
2. The Weight, size and Quantity of the unit to be picked up and shipped
3.The Delivery Address is blow,

Suzanne Reyes
1232 Calle Aurora Ave
MayagŁez, Puerto Rico 00680

Blow is the Contact Details of the shipping company,

Name of shippers: A A M freight forwarders Inc
E-mail: [email protected] Or [email protected]
Contact Person: Marvin Jackson

As soon as they get back to you with the freight quote then add it to the windows cost and email me with the grand total of the windows including shipping all together so that i can finalize the order with my credit card. Thank you very much and waiting for your prompt responds.
Warm Regards,
Robert
Phone : 9404889437

The sad realization is people actually fall for this.
I am so glad I pulled up the website for Wise Thorpe Real Estate, this article came up and I was stunned. The Customer (the thief) agreed on the price and the arrangements made to order and pick up; when he gave me his third credit card and that was declined along with the others AND the zip codes were all of the map, I knew something wasn't right. Thank you for posting this message, it made my suspicions come to light and the truth be told. I called the person I had been in contact with and left a voice message that his order has been cancelled due to suspiciousness. Doubt he will call back. Oh the lead I received came from a Marketing Firm, that we have since cancelled as well.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

Trade: Window Covering
Rewards Points: 2
Exclamation

I almost fall into their scam as well. The guy called Jack Taylor in FL. contacted me to buy some blinds and when I gave him the quote, he agreed to it and said to use A.A.M freight forwarder Inc. to ship the goods to Haiti. The contact for A.A.M. Freight Forwarder is:
Mr. Raymond Luck
Shipping MD.
A A M Freight Forwarders Inc
19901 Hamilton Ave
Torrance, CA 90502-1364
Phone : 559-537-8195

However, when you call that number, he never answers. He calls you back with another phone number. Also, the freight company is registered in Ghana, not USA.

This forwarder quoted a ridiculous high freight cost in which the Buyer agreed to pay, but he asked me to charge the full amount to a credit card and send payment in advance by bank transfer to the Freight Forwarder. That's when it sounded suspicious.

The Buyer info. provided is:

Jack Taylor
King Ventures
4150 Rampart Ave
Osage, IA 50461-8313.
Phone number is: 515-897-0340
Fax Number is: 515-608-4539

But again, when he calls, he uses a different number.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
To me, "kindly" is a giveaway that it's likely a foreigner. Signing off with "warm regards", too.

The day before Thanksgiving, I got a text message from someone who said they have a contract for a bathroom remodel and is "kindly" offering the project to me. Signed off "warm regards" from so-and-so I don't know with an out-of-state number.

Smelled like a lead-gen salesman but I replied "Sure, let's meet tomorrow night at dinnertime. I want to make a deal!", just to eff with him. *Keep in mind, tomorrow night was going to be Thanksgiving.*

I got an immediate response that he's in the hospital in New Jersey and can't talk on the phone, no mention of Thanksgiving. He started hinting about me paying him. We exchanged a few texts, his were all half-literate foreign English trying to set up some complicated payment arrangement. I got bored with him and blocked the number.

Scammers are weird.

Advertisement