Why I Hate Commercial Construction - Page 2 - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Why I Hate Commercial Construction

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #21
Business Owner
 
P42003's Avatar
 
Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Paducah, KY (far West Kentucky)
Posts: 369
Rewards Points: 158

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Kowboy, thank you for protecting the potential health and safety of the general public.
P42003 is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P42003 For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (12-29-2016), Fouthgeneration (01-01-2017), Kowboy (01-01-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #22
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,073
Rewards Points: 5,072

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by P42003 View Post
Kowboy, thank you for protecting the potential health and safety of the general public.
Proof that not all heros wear capes.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (01-01-2017), Kowboy (01-01-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #23
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 8,759
Rewards Points: 3,614

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Are posts disappearing?

I thought Jaws has post #2 and I could have sworn KAP posted right after Kowboy's last post.
You should probably give the CIA a ring and have some people thrown in jail.
__________________
Dude you thought the wall was built by Hitler. You had no plan or scheme. You look like a fool trying to convince us.
Deckhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #24
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,670
Rewards Points: 36,930

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Are posts disappearing?

I thought Jaws has post #2 and I could have sworn KAP posted right after Kowboy's last post.
Seems someone has re-evaluated their post... it's all good...
KAP is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #25
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 8,759
Rewards Points: 3,614

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Look, there's plenty of reasons to get into a screaming match. Done it plenty of times like when I call a super to let him know what I'm going to be doing and can't have other people in the way, like seriously not just for convenience. Or when I need "x" "x" and "y" to be there and complete and it isn't. The only time the yelling happens is when they initiate it by telling me I have to do it after the things previously discussed haven't been taken care of.

If we're all working on top of each other it's annoying. Sounds like some communication issues on both sides. It doesn't warrant having a job shut down because your upset with how it's going. It's not your job to police people. If it don't work for you and it's too much bs, walk and backcharge and let them know why. Handle it face up instead of calling some organization that looks to shut things down.

This is bull**** to me. It has never even entered my mind to call the fuzz because I was butt hurt. That's crossing a line. Don't give me the flammable paint line, ain't like he was spraying ether on the walls.
__________________
Dude you thought the wall was built by Hitler. You had no plan or scheme. You look like a fool trying to convince us.
Deckhead is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #26
Business Owner
 
P42003's Avatar
 
Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Paducah, KY (far West Kentucky)
Posts: 369
Rewards Points: 158

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Reasons why "accidents" happen:

Lack of a safety culture and failure to speak up.

Lastly, it's your life. Just because others don't want to rock the boat doesn't mean you can't. Last I checked very few live past a hundred, live true to yourself, that's all that matters.
P42003 is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P42003 For This Useful Post:
KAP (12-28-2016), Kowboy (01-01-2017), Woodmeister (09-20-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #27
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,670
Rewards Points: 36,930

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Look, there's plenty of reasons to get into a screaming match. Done it plenty of times like when I call a super to let him know what I'm going to be doing and can't have other people in the way, like seriously not just for convenience. Or when I need "x" "x" and "y" to be there and complete and it isn't. The only time the yelling happens is when they initiate it by telling me I have to do it after the things previously discussed haven't been taken care of.

If we're all working on top of each other it's annoying. Sounds like some communication issues on both sides. It doesn't warrant having a job shut down because your upset with how it's going. It's not your job to police people. If it don't work for you and it's too much bs, walk and backcharge and let them know why. Handle it face up instead of calling some organization that looks to shut things down.

This is bull**** to me. It has never even entered my mind to call the fuzz because I was butt hurt. That's crossing a line. Don't give me the flammable paint line, ain't like he was spraying ether on the walls.
It's pretty simple... electrical work and fumes are not a good mix in a area where there is no ventilation... why do you think the companies SAFETY guy flipped when he heard it? Because he thought it was OK after he heard what happened? If the supervisor was confidant he was in the right, he wouldn't have shut the doors, but the inspector could smell the fumes through the closed doors... flammable liquid is most dangerous when it's vaporized into a gaseous form as it's easier to ignite in this form without proper ventilation and can come from many common jobsite activities (i.e. - turning light on, unplugging or plugging in cords, smoking, static electric from plastic/rugs, etc.)... but I guess all the warnings on the paint manufacturer's products and spray gun directions are all full of it... after all, it's not like paint thinner is used at all...

It's a site safety issue... actively spraying (putting aside the protection) while FIVE electricians are at work (in close enough proximity where they needed to cover their mouths/noses from the fumes) is the issue... I could give a crap about the over-scheduling issue... if you have to inform a SITE SUPERVISOR who should know better that he is putting schedule ahead of safety and he doesn't do anything about it, that's an indicator of someone who shouldn't be in that position... I guess you could just look out for yourself, walk out and simply leave the guys who apparently can't speak English to fend for themselves... of course, if that was YOUR kid in there...

But I guess the guy in charge of Safety for their company felt otherwise...

Last edited by KAP; 12-28-2016 at 07:59 PM.
KAP is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-01-2017), Kowboy (01-01-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #28
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,670
Rewards Points: 36,930

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction





KAP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (01-01-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,073
Rewards Points: 5,072

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
It's pretty simple... electrical work and fumes are not a good mix in a area where there is no ventilation... why do you think the companies SAFETY guy flipped when he heard it? Because he thought it was OK after he heard what happened? If the supervisor was confidant he was in the right, he wouldn't have shut the doors, but the inspector could smell the fumes through the closed doors... flammable liquid is most dangerous when it's vaporized into a gaseous form as it's easier to ignite in this form without proper ventilation and can come from many common jobsite activities (i.e. - turning light on, unplugging or plugging in cords, smoking, static electric from plastic/rugs, etc.)... but I guess all the warnings on the paint manufacturer's products and spray gun directions are all full of it... after all, it's not like paint thinner is used at all...

It's a site safety issue... actively spraying (putting aside the protection) while FIVE electricians are at work (in close enough proximity where they needed to cover their mouths/noses from the fumes) is the issue... I could give a crap about the over-scheduling issue... if you have to inform a SITE SUPERVISOR who should know better that he is putting schedule ahead of safety and he doesn't do anything about it, that's an indicator of someone who shouldn't be in that position... I guess you could just look out for yourself, walk out and simply leave the guys who apparently can't speak English to fend for themselves... of course, if that was YOUR kid in there...

But I guess the guy in charge of Safety for their company felt otherwise...
You guys are allowed to work live?
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #30
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,670
Rewards Points: 36,930

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
You guys are allowed to work live?
Yeah... no sparks coming from those cordless drills...

When you have to cover your mouth and nose because the fumes are too much because of no ventilation, youuuu might be a redneck...
KAP is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #31
Pro
 
slowsol's Avatar
 
Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 2,572
Rewards Points: 2,248

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


What were they spraying?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
-John
slowsol is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #32
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 8,759
Rewards Points: 3,614

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
What were they spraying?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gasoline and lighter fluid.
__________________
Dude you thought the wall was built by Hitler. You had no plan or scheme. You look like a fool trying to convince us.
Deckhead is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
slowsol (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #33
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,670
Rewards Points: 36,930

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
What were they spraying?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the OP....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
“You can’t spray flammable coatings while remodeling a 3-room 2,000 square foot retail store, particularly with no ventilation” I explained to the site Superintendent.

“I’ve gotta get this painted” he replied.

...when Pedro the painter, wearing full respirator and suit, started filling the store with HVLP flammable paint. He didn’t pass out any respirators for me, the electricians, or his painters. Some just pulled their T-shirts up over their faces. Sorry, but that’s not how I roll. Apparently, that giant red flame painted on the side of his 5-gallon bucket doesn’t translate internationally.

There is no window for the health and safety of the workers inside, however, there is a sign on each of the double doors on the adjacent wall instructing that they must be kept shut at all times.

I called the Fire Marshall, Mall Security, Stapleton’s boss, and Saches Corporate Safety Director, Mike McMahon. He about flipped when I told him what transpired. He had worked with my wife when we lived in Michigan.

The Fire Marshall arrived just as I was loading the last of my tools. I showed him the pictures of Pedro the painter and his 5-gallon bucket with the flame painted on it. He said he could smell the fumes when he pulled up, but then he’s trained for that kind of thing. He tried the double doors, but they were locked. Apparently Mr. Stapleton shut ‘er down for the day.
KAP is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #34
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,141
Rewards Points: 122

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


i rarely agree with Kowboy but in this case I do and I would have walked off as soon as I heard any Spanish if not sooner..
avenge is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (01-01-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #35
Pro
 
slowsol's Avatar
 
Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 2,572
Rewards Points: 2,248

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
From the OP....








And even with all of that, it still doesn't answer the question.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
-John
slowsol is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to slowsol For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #36
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,670
Rewards Points: 36,930

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
And even with all of that, it still doesn't answer the question.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are you looking for? The brand?...

Can't help you there as irrelevant as it is in this case... here's the crib-note version...

From the OP....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
flammable coatings with no ventilation

... HVLP flammable paint...giant red flame painted on the side of his 5-gallon bucket doesn’t translate internationally.

Last edited by KAP; 12-28-2016 at 10:11 PM.
KAP is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #37
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,073
Rewards Points: 5,072

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
i rarely agree with Kowboy but in this case I do and I would have walked off as soon as I heard any Spanish if not sooner..
Isn't that the primary language of construction in the US?
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post:
bigdaddyrooster (12-29-2016), heavy_d (01-01-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #38
...
 
FrankSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 5,124

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


I would not hire you or recommend you based on your reaction. If you needed to leave, I understand. The second you open the door to the mall, it was obvious you wanted this thing to escalate. You sure made sure it did. Even this thread with all the names listed appears to be an effort to escalate the situation.

No one likes tripping on soda cans and no one likes breathing fumes. That doesn't mean the next step is to take it to this level. You did what someone should do if they have been trying to work this out for an extended period of time.

How the job was being ran was unprofessional. The actions of the paint sub where unprofessional. Along with that, your reaction was unprofessional. You can't control what everyone else did but what you did is all on you.

You may have thought you where being treated like an "illegal alien" but you should have waited tell you calmed down to handle this. Now your reputation is on the line as well.
FrankSmith is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (12-28-2016), TxElectrician (12-29-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #39
...
 
FrankSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 5,124

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
What are you looking for? The brand?...

Can't help you there as irrelevant as it is in this case... here's the crib-note version...

From the OP....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post

At my rates, and I charge hourly, I can afford to pick up my work area and a few paint fumes aren’t going to kill me.

He was never worried about the fumes. Read the full story.

He found grounds to throw a huge fit.
FrankSmith is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #40
Sure, I can do that...
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/renovations
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,893
Rewards Points: 196

Re: Why I Hate Commercial Construction


It has been my experience that if the painter needs a mask, so do I, but they never bring any to share, so I simply go home.
Once a painter waited for everyone to go for lunch and fired up the spray pot with lacquer.
Another time, the spraying (lacquer) was scheduled for 4 pm, right after quitting time, but the painter fired up around 2 o'clock.

Both times I simply packed my tools and left for home. When questioned, I explained that the work environment was toxic and I can not work under those conditions and would call OH&S about it. If they said it was safe, I would come back. That stopped the discussion right there.
Both experiences were Residential.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new construction commercial roofing bonding ken722 Roofing 4 02-17-2015 10:50 AM
Im bidding for a commercial painting job. any advice? BaranG Painting & Finish Work 13 02-25-2014 01:54 AM
Deck Construction @ Winery: Review Our Plans? dutchswan General Discussion 14 05-23-2013 12:14 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?