Whoops, Wrong House. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Whoops, Wrong House.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Whoops, Wrong House.

Went to do an estimate today and went to the wrong address. I thought it was #115, turns out it was #135. Ooops.

Walked away from the door as I realized my mistake when I checked my phone. Owner pulls up with his wife as I am walking away. I said "sorry, wrong address". I think he must have had a bad day, because he was looking to kill. "What do you want! Why are you here!"
Jesus man, relax, I'm not breaking into your house, I have a tape measure, notebook and coffee in my hand, I mean no harm with any of them.

On the other hand, I would be pretty suspect too if I were in his shoes. But still, I'm kind of glad he wasn't the client I was looking for.

Anyone else done this?

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto

Last edited by Chris G; 04-17-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spell

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,290

Re: Whoops, Wrong House.

You have a coffee in your hand for an estimate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Creter (04-18-2016), greg24k (04-20-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Geez, I did something similar a couple weeks ago. I went to assess a repair to a house I was at once before. I ended up two doors without realizing it, talked my way past the teens ("your mom said I could look at it", which she did...) I'm walking around the house asking where the doors to the patio are....oops, there wasn't one. I asked "is this 2515?" "No."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (04-18-2016), Rick_Methvin (04-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,678

In 1998 a home on Amanda ct received free gutters.
The homeowners on Amanda ln called the guy who I subbed for and asked why I didn't show up. . Started writing much neater after that day. Will never forget the embarrassment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-17-2016), mikeswoods (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post

This was the first time, I was having a rough day overall, nothing went right. All bad decisions, lol.

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:
VinylHanger (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 13,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
In 1998 a home on Amanda ct received free gutters.
The homeowners on Amanda ln called the guy who I subbed for and asked why I didn't show up. . Started writing much neater after that day. Will never forget the embarrassment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buddy of mine was given the wrong address for a roof last fall

Edit: to clarify, my buddy gave my other buddy whom I had referred to him as a sub, the wrong adress
Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 448

A landscaping company in our city ripped up a lawn while a family was on vacation. Wrong house of course. They came back to nothing but dirt.

It got media attention and the company reached out to the family. The owner apologized and replaced their front yard with something much nicer than what they had.

The publicity was really good for the company. It actually drove business up for them because of the owner's handling of the situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
brhokel606 (04-21-2016), Calidecks (04-18-2016), JAH (04-18-2016), Jaws (04-25-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

I was doing work in a townhouse community for a guy who was in foreclosure and he wanted to put the place back into ship shape before moving out. He was going to do a short sale and was fixing up the place to avoid any snags or complications.

Anyhow I met with the guy at his office, I got the keys, and I went to the house to start working. 2nd & 3rd day in, all was well. Then I took a couple of days off and went back to the property the following Monday only to discover that the locks have been changed and that another deadbolt was added.

I left the owner a voicemail where I said, "OMG!! THEY CHANGED THE LOCKS! They took the house! OMG! My tools were inside! THIS IS TERRIBLE! I saw this coming but I just can't.....believe.....uh... wait a minute......Oh.. nevermind."

I had gone to the wrong address. The next row of houses looked identical and I realized I was at the wrong house.
A&E Exteriors (04-18-2016), brhokel606 (04-21-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post

Probably better than a bottle of beer.....
madrina (04-25-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Years back when I first got out of the trades, a friend of mine and myself would trade work.

We were doing a siding project he got and he was asked by a neighbor to give him a price on sky light replacement. Kept working on the siding as he went across the street to talk with the homeowner.

A few weeks go by and on a Friday we pull up onto that same street because he wanted to double check the measurement of the windows before the install on Monday.

We get out and grab a ladder and I start walking towards the house that I saw him go to weeks back and he's going to the one next door.

I said, "Tom, where you going that's the wrong house..."

"Nah this is it...come on"

So I thought to myself that maybe I had it all wrong and followed him. So we place the ladder at the back patio door and up he goes while I stay on the ground bracing the ladder...

I see a person slowly walking towards the patio door...

"Tom, homeowner is heading towards the door. Is he an older guy?"

"No a younger Asian man"

"Tom, this fella isn't young nor Asian...you better come on down here"

So just as he's landing back on the patio the homeowner has finally gotten to the door and creaks it open.

"May I help you," the old fella asks.

"Sir, we're just doing courtesy skylight checks and yours are in great shape," Tom says as he grabs the ladder and walks away.

I'm like wtf...so I say, "Sorry for the disturbance sir have a great day"

When I caught up with Tom I said, "Damn Tom, ain't nobody going to believe that old fella when he tries to tell somebody about what just happened. Hell, when he tells him about the courtesy skylight check part, his kids just may check him into a care facility!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creter For This Useful Post:
Jaws (04-20-2016), pappagor (04-18-2016), SmallTownGuy (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #11
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

About a week ago someone demolished a house. The wrong one. He claims Google maps had the address mixed up. I guess the address wasn't on the house?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,258

I worked at a plumbing business where a plumber, working in a basement, went out to his truck for a tool, turned around and charged into a different house than he'd just come out of. He did some fast talking and backpedaling and ended up selling some work to the surprised HO.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #13
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,306

I've heard of guys tearing countertops out of the wrong house. Bet that lady was happy for that mistake.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,786

Just today I thought I would mess with my crew. I sent the crew to a house to start a job, occupants were away. I came along an hour or so later once they had started all the prep work. As I walked I said "guys you are in the wrong house, you are meant to be next door" the look on their faces was priceless. Gotcha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Youngin' (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

paybacks are a whole other thing
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pappagor For This Useful Post:
Jaws (04-25-2016), Ohio painter (04-20-2016), Tom Struble (04-25-2016), TxElectrician (04-24-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #16
www.friscoroofrepairs.com

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Went to do an estimate today and went to the wrong address. I thought it was #115, turns out it was #135. Ooops.

Walked away from the door as I realized my mistake when I checked my phone. Owner pulls up with his wife as I am walking away. I said "sorry, wrong address". I think he must have had a bad day, because he was looking to kill. "What do you want! Why are you here!"
Jesus man, relax, I'm not breaking into your house, I have a tape measure, notebook and coffee in my hand, I mean no harm with any of them.

On the other hand, I would be pretty suspect too if I were in his shoes. But still, I'm kind of glad he wasn't the client I was looking for.

Anyone else done this?
Don't be too hard on yourself, it has happened to all of us or at least someone in our company at least once! You go from job to job with different addresses and needs, sometimes numbers can get confused in the process. Sounds like you handled the situation well, and I can understand him being skeptical but not that upset. Unfortunately, now a days people have to be more careful with strangers, even those in uniform. Just politely explain the mistake and move on, they could end up being a potential client one day, so always be respectful no matter how they react. Always a good idea to have business cards to prove your legit.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #17
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,100

Happened to me a while back, same thing was called to inspect a deck in progress being constructed, HO said he doesn't trust the guy who he hired and he is thinking to have someone else to finish it.

I pull up to the "wrong house" with a deck already built definitely by unlicensed hack probably the same one who is building the other deck. I ring the bell,older gentleman comes out and his English not so good, I give him my business card and ask him about the deck and he points to the back so I go to inspect... I guess while I did that, he called his son and came out with the phone for me to talk to him.
I describe my findings, i.e the girder is vertically not leveled, posts out of level, stairs with nonuniform risers, etc.band tell him that his deck is structurally fk'up and need some repairs, he tells me to wait and that he is on the way home.

5 Min later I get a call from the HO I had to meet originally and he asks me if I'm still coming... I tell him I'm already here in the back yard waiting for him... He goes be right there. I get a call back and he goes where are you, I'm in the back yard and I don't see you... and that is when it clicked I was at the wrong house.
Never got a call from the other guy, and I was to expensive for this guy because I never heard back so I guess he decided to let his hack to finish everything up.

I guess its one of this days.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,702

No big deal,could have been worse. These guys wrecked the entire wrong building.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Bellevue.html
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
New Guy

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post

Anyone else done this?

This is an awesome story! We are all human, mistakes happen, its inevitable. You may have been embarrassed, don't sweat it man, at least you got a funny story out of it.
Enjoy your coffee and find the right house now haha
Old 04-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #20

Trade: n/a
Rewards Points: 86

That’s a funny story, but well I think it could happen to any of us at some point. It's pretty lucky that the angry man doesn't take any action to try to harm you.

Advertisement