Who Says Contractors Are Not Keeping Up With Dinosaurs - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Who Says Contractors Are Not Keeping Up With Dinosaurs

Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

Who Says Contractors Are Not Keeping Up With Dinosaurs

• If you are one in a million in China…there are 1,300 people just like you.
  • China will soon become the number one English speaking country in the world.
  • The 25% of India’s population with the highest IQ’s…is greater than the total population of the United States. Translation…India has more honours kids that America has kids.
  • The top 10 in-demand jobs in 2010…did not exist in 2004.
  • We are currently preparing students for jobs that do not yet exist. Using technologies that have not been invented. In order to solve problems we do not even know are problems yet.
  • The U.S. Department of Labour estimates that today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs…by the age of 38.
  • 1 in 4 workers has been with their current employer for less than a year. 1-2 has been there less than five years.
  • 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met online.
  • There are over 200 million registered users on MySpace. If MySpace were a country, it would be the 5th largest in the world, between Indonesia and Brazil.
  • The #1 ranked country in Broadband internet penetration is…Bermuda, #19 The United States, #22 Japan.
  • We are living in exponential times; there are 31 Billion searches on Google every month. In 2006 this number was 2.7 Billion.
  • To whom were these questions addressed before Google?
  • The first commercial text message was sent in December of 1992. Today, the number of text messages sent and received everyday exceeds the total population of the planet.
  • Years it took to reach a market audience of 50 million:
    • Radio 38 years
    • T.V. 13 years
    • Internet 4 years
    • Ipod 3 Years
    • Facebook 2 years
  • The number of internet devices in 1984 was 1,000, in 1992 it was 1,000,000, in 2008 it is 1,000,000,000.
  • There are about 540,000 words in the English language; this is about 5 times as many as during Shakespeare’s time.
  • It is estimated that a week’s worth of the New York Times Contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century.
  • It is estimated that 4 exabytes of unique information well be generated this year (2008). That is more than the previous 5000 years.
  • The amount of new technical information is doubling every 2 years…for students starting a 4 year technical degree this means that…half of what they learn in the first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study.
  • NTT Japan has successfully tested a fibre optic cable… that pushes 14 trillion bits per second down a single strand of fibre. That is 2660 CD’s or 210 million phone calls every second. It is currently tripling every six months and is expected to do so for the next 20 years.
  • By 2013 a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computational capabilities of the human brain.
  • predictions are that by 2049, a $1,000.00 will exceed the computational capabilities of the entire human species.
  • Over a period of 5 minutes 67 babies were born in the U.S. 274 babies were born in China, 395 babies were born in India, and in the same 5 minutes 695,000 songs were downloaded illegally.
Research by:
Karl Fisch,
Scoot McLeod
Jeff Bowman

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Re: Who Says Contractors Are Not Keeping Up With Dinosaurs

U.S. (and some othe country) contractors are just dealing with the area they operate in and operate to peform there.

Woodmagman does put things into the real economic perspective. If you have not been in china or India, you are not aware of the other half of the world (or 2/3 of the developed world).

A company (larger than GM) in India, just wrote out a check for Ford to cash for Jaguar and Rover. This company also has a $2500 car ($2700 w/AC) that will be sold in India and SE Asia only because they have other better things to do.

In China, you can walk a few blocks at 11:00 PM and see a 6 lane street (2 miles long) bumper to bumper with Mercedes, BMWs, Rolls, etc. while all the stores are open and the streets are full of people spending lots of money. There is a similar street about 6 block away. - This is just Beijing and not Shanghai where the real money and business is.

China will not use wood for construction, but they do import it from the U.S., process it and send it back as an import. Same with computer chips and hardware. They also import oil.

There is just a different approach pushed by education, technology and economics.

Advertisement

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post

There is just a different approach pushed by education, technology and economics.
This is not just the U.S. All of North American needs to get more into the game...and figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
U.S. (and some othe country) contractors are just dealing with the area they operate in and operate to peform there.

Woodmagman does put things into the real economic perspective. If you have not been in china or India, you are not aware of the other half of the world (or 2/3 of the developed world).

A company (larger than GM) in India, just wrote out a check for Ford to cash for Jaguar and Rover. This company also has a $2500 car ($2700 w/AC) that will be sold in India and SE Asia only because they have other better things to do.

India IS the one to watch.

This is who wrote the check. (Originally a Mercedes Fledgling)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Motors

See it here:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygCxBf_SiaA

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post

Do tell....
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Handle It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post
Do tell....

Fastest reproduction rate in the World.

American Business presence since the turn of the Century.

British founded economy.

Intelligence Quotient on average higher than the "Norm".

DESIRE!

Lack of Communist Regime.

The Largest attainable "Natural Resources" reserves of ANY Geographic location. (Eastern Russia may be richer in materials, but nearly impossible to get to.)

It is the IT "center" of the World.

HUGE labor force.

Location. (Try accessing Chinas inner Regions!)

Massive Business and Commerce presence in America for DECADES.

Ultimate Wisdom---------

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 11-12-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Fastest reproduction rate in the World.

American Business presence since the turn of the Century.

British founded economy.

Intelligence Quotient on average higher than the "Norm".

DESIRE!

Lack of Communist Regime.

The Largest attainable "Natural Resources" reserves of ANY Geographic location. (Eastern Russia may be richer in materials, but nearly impossible to get to.)

It is the IT "center" of the World.

HUGE labor force.

Location. (Try accessing Chinas inner Regions!)

Massive Business and Commerce presence in America for DECADES.
Forget India I am keeping my eye on you.....you answered that in less than six minutes. I was not asking for directions to the local mall....your not a welder, I tell you that.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:

Should the west fear or inbrace them? And does China know this?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Handle It!

Quote:
Forget India I am keeping my eye on you.....you answered that in less than six minutes. I was not asking for directions to the local mall....your not a welder, I tell you that.

I think that is a compliment in a roundabout fashion!

As for the elapsed time....No research was necessary. I just seem to have retained the order and progression of Power in the World.

As I have said before in many a post...........

Check out the Zeitgeist Movie online. It spells a few things.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Handle It!

Quote:
Should the west fear or inbrace them? And does China know this?
India IS our friend and "Brother". There is NO economy or labor force that could overcome the Power and Influence of The Red White and Blue. This fact, the "overcome" one, is a safe thing but not necessarily a good thing when one looks at the "Big Picture".

Ultimate Wisdom---------

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 11-12-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
your not a welder, I tell you that.
I would take that as a compliment, and not in a round about way, straight up. You are wise for your years Grasshopper. Kung fu I know, Bruce could have been the star I know, but he was to Asian for the part…what trade are you in?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
Handle It!

Quote:
I would take that as a compliment, and not in a round about way, straight up. You are wise for your years Grasshopper. Kung fu I know, Bruce could have been the star I know, but he was to Asian for the part…what trade are you in?

I am an AT&T contractor.

As my by line states, "....everything the other guy does not want to do..."

I do for AT&T Cellular all the things that they just do not want to deal with!

Desire dictates price. Lack of desire equates to dire necessity which dictates an even greater price!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:
I am an AT&T contractor.

As my by line states, "....everything the other guy does not want to do..."

I do for AT&T Cellular all the things that they just do not want to deal with!

Desire dictates price. Lack of desire equates to dire necessity which dictates an even greater price!
I formed a Crew of guys that installed concrete slabs, cellular poles and generator back up systems in Haiti for Innovative wireless. Damn good money.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
Handle It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I formed a Crew of guys that installed concrete slabs, cellular poles and generator back up systems in Haiti for Innovative wireless. Damn good money.
It is also a Tax Free proposition in NYS

Telecommunications services and Internet access servicesThe Tax Law was amended to exempt from State and local sales and use taxes tangiblepersonal property(includingwires, cables, and optical fibers) that are used or consumed directlyandpredominantly in the receiving, initiating, amplifying, processing, transmitting, retransmitting,switching, or monitoring of switching of telecommunications services for sale or Internet accessservices for sale, or anycombination of these two services. This includes propertyused or consumedto upgrade systems to allow for these activities. Examples of this type of telecommunicationsequipment are transmission equipment, such as multiplexers, switches, and repeaters; andcustomer-premises equipment, such as phones and private branch exchanges (PBX’s). Examplesof exempt Internet access equipment are switches, routers, and modems. The tangible personalproperty must be used in providing these services for sale and does not include property owned bythe customers of the services. When the new law takes effect, there will no longer be a requirementthat the telecommunications equipment must constitute “central office equipment or stationapparatus.”The servicesofinstalling,maintaining,servicing,andrepa iring thisexempttangiblepersonalproperty are also exempt from tax.For purposes of the new exemptions, “telecommunication services” has the same meaningas set forth in Section 186-e(g) of the Tax Law. See 1995 Legislation Affecting Telephone andTelegraph Businesses and Other Providers of Telecommunication Services, TSB-M-95(3)C.“Internet access service” is defined in Section 1115(v) of the Tax Law. See Internet Access ChargesNot Subject to Sales Tax and Telecommunications Excise Tax, TSB-M-97(1.1)S.The amendments take effect on September 1, 2000.(See Tax Law, Section 1115(a)(12-a). Technical and conforming amendments were also made toSections 1105(c)(3)(x), 1105-B(a), 1108(b)(1), 1115(a)(12), and 1210(a)(1) of the Tax Law.)Cable television serviceThe Tax Law was amended to exempt from State and local sales and use taxes machinery,equipment, and apparatus used or consumed directlyand predominantlyto upgrade cable televisionsystems to allow for the receiving, initiating, amplifying, processing, transmitting, retransmitting,.............

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
your not a welder, I tell you that

I do wonder about the past occupations of some members on here sometimes.

Maybe even present connections. Damn, the longer in the tooth I get, the more paranoid I seem to get.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
There are over 200 million registered users on MySpace

And just how to they know this??

Oops, reread it. I thought it said registered voters.

Sorry about that.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #17
Handle It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post

I do wonder about the past occupations of some members on here sometimes.

Maybe even present connections. Damn, the longer in the tooth I get, the more paranoid I seem to get.
I have seen and done a lot. More than a Human should ever be allowed to or subject to, depending on how you view it.

Most of which I can share with you.

It is safe to be aware and present concerning that which is. Paranoia is dangerous and self-defeating.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

India is one the follow and understand. - Not the resouces, but the organization, common language and technical ties.

They have great schools that outstrip the U.S. by far. If an Indian cannot get into the India Institute of Technology, he will have to settle for MIT, Cal TEch or similar where he will still have Indian instructors.

The one thing about India is that has great organization, although it is still somewhat hampered by the old British systems in effect until after Ghandi and the partitioning from Pakistan. Fortunately, the Indian intellect and technology is correcting that problem.

Since the great railroads (always on time to the minute without computers with thousands on a train) was recently overloaded, the demand for new air planes and airports is a problem. The country grew with many, many cities over 5,000,000 people connected by rail, so air is the logical transition. Freeways are a big problem, but Caterpillar, John Deere and similar equipment has been made in India for years.

India has more middle class than the U.S. has people and we joked that they had more millionaires than Australia had people (the last is probably not very accurate). The education system is great and the kids spend long hours every day - about 4 to 6 per day more than the U.S.

If you ever go there, the personal service and attention is great. If you are in an international hotel, the accomodations are great if you are working (not cheap since Indians are smart enough to get what they are worth). When I arrived at a hotel for the second time at 11:00 PM after a long flight the reception asked if I wanted the same hamburger, french fries and glass of wine that I had the last time I had from room service the last time I checked in. - they know how to run a business.

Even a Days Inn has superior service and great service. While there I realized I did not have my perscription, I asked the desk if they could get it refilled (totally legal and common). While in the bar/restaurant, a doctor found me, talked to me, took blood pressure and pulse, ordered a prescription and waited 10 minutes to see if it was correct. There was no charge for the doctor and the cheap blood pressure medicine was 1/10th of the cost in the U.S. and was made in the U.S.

Companies use India for technical support and reservation and customer service because they cannot find enough qualified people in the U.S. They speak English well and are probably high school students. The better students do work nights for U.S. engineering firms while not going to high school or college because it works for the time change and the communication is great.

Travel and you will learn a lot!!

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 11-13-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

Quote:
  • If you are one in a million in China…there are 1,300 people just like you.
  • China will soon become the number one English speaking country in the world.
  • The 25% of India’s population with the highest IQ’s…is greater than the total population of the United States. Translation…India has more honours kids that America has kids.
  • The top 10 in-demand jobs in 2010…did not exist in 2004.
  • We are currently preparing students for jobs that do not yet exist. Using technologies that have not been invented. In order to solve problems we do not even know are problems yet.
  • The U.S. Department of Labour estimates that today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs…by the age of 38.
  • 1 in 4 workers has been with their current employer for less than a year. 1-2 has been there less than five years.
  • 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met online.
  • There are over 200 million registered users on MySpace. If MySpace were a country, it would be the 5th largest in the world, between Indonesia and Brazil.
  • The #1 ranked country in Broadband internet penetration is…Bermuda, #19 The United States, #22 Japan.
  • We are living in exponential times; there are 31 Billion searches on Google every month. In 2006 this number was 2.7 Billion.
  • To whom were these questions addressed before Google?
  • The first commercial text message was sent in December of 1992. Today, the number of text messages sent and received everyday exceeds the total population of the planet.
  • Years it took to reach a market audience of 50 million:
    • Radio 38 years
    • T.V. 13 years
    • Internet 4 years
    • Ipod 3 Years
    • Facebook 2 years
  • The number of internet devices in 1984 was 1,000, in 1992 it was 1,000,000, in 2008 it is 1,000,000,000.
  • There are about 540,000 words in the English language; this is about 5 times as many as during Shakespeare’s time.
  • It is estimated that a week’s worth of the New York Times Contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century.
  • It is estimated that 4 exabytes of unique information well be generated this year (2008). That is more than the previous 5000 years.
  • The amount of new technical information is doubling every 2 years…for students starting a 4 year technical degree this means that…half of what they learn in the first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study.
  • NTT Japan has successfully tested a fibre optic cable… that pushes 14 trillion bits per second down a single strand of fibre. That is 2660 CD’s or 210 million phone calls every second. It is currently tripling every six months and is expected to do so for the next 20 years.
  • By 2013 a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computational capabilities of the human brain.
  • predictions are that by 2049, a $1,000.00 will exceed the computational capabilities of the entire human species.
  • Over a period of 5 minutes 67 babies were born in the U.S. 274 babies were born in China, 395 babies were born in India, and in the same 5 minutes 695,000 songs were downloaded illegally.
Research by:
Karl Fisch,
Scoot McLeod
Jeff Bowman
There is a lot of talk about this in the Education fields,
http://www.utahsmathfuture.com/ameri...re_straits.cfm
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #20
Handle It!

India — Population: 1,129,866,154 (July 2007 est.)

Natural resources:
coal (fourth-largest reserves in the world), iron ore, manganese, mica, bauxite, titanium ore, chromite, natural gas, diamonds, petroleum, limestone, arable land

They also have one of the largest textile resources.

China — Population: 1,321,851,888 (July 2007 est.)

Natural resources:
coal, iron ore, petroleum, natural gas, mercury, tin, tungsten, antimony, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium, magnetite, aluminum, lead, zinc, uranium, hydropower potential (world's largest)

Both are CIA database figures. (Internet)

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 11-13-2008 at 12:00 AM.