When A Good Angie’s List Promotion Goes Bad—Fast - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

When A Good Angie’s List Promotion Goes Bad—Fast

Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,522

When A Good Angie’s List Promotion Goes Bad—Fast

I have seen many treads here about Angie's list and other sites, when people asking is there a benefit to join this sites, etc. So I just read a Nice Article in regard to Angie's list.

So above is a link to this article maybe some will find it useful or as an eye opener.
bob hutson (06-21-2014), jb4211 (06-22-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Re: When A Good Angie’s List Promotion Goes Bad—Fast

yea..i read that..kinda nice karma for the guys that offer these ''inspection'' deals..jmo

Advertisement

MarkNoV (06-22-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 14,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
yea..i read that..kinda nice karma for the guys that offer these ''inspection'' deals..jmo
Damn, hoss. Whats wrong with doing an inspection? Am I missing something?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

Great article. My mother thinks Angie's List is great. I want to strangle her every time she sends me a link to a promotion asking "Why can't you do XYZ that cheap?". I don't charge her a dime for her work, but I do charge her friends, and sometimes she whines that I'm over-charging them. I seriously want to slap the living chit out of her (and Angie herself) sometimes . That bitch is ruining it for people who want to make a decent wage. And I can't believe she is still in business with her TV ads claiming she never takes a dime for a contractor to be listed. What fvcking BS! Every time I hear the name 'Angie', my blood boils.

/rant

Last edited by 66 Shelby; 06-21-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Bad language
The Following User Says Thank You to 66 Shelby For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (06-22-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shelby View Post
Great article. My mother thinks Angie's List is great. I want to strangle her every time she sends me a link to a promotion asking "Why can't you do XYZ that cheap?". I don't charge her a dime for her work, but I do charge her friends, and sometimes she whines that I'm over-charging them. I seriously want to slap the living chit out of her (and Angie herself) sometimes . That bitch is ruining it for people who want to make a decent wage. And I can't believe she is still in business with her TV ads claiming she never takes a dime for a contractor to be listed. What fvcking BS! Every time I hear the name 'Angie', my blood boils.

/rant
Ah, thats what Tom meant. I dont keep up with internet advertising. I knew there was a good reason if Tom was mad

John
Old 06-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Take it easy on your mom, Shelby....

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (06-22-2014), tgeb (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Professional Contractor

Trade: Hardscape
Rewards Points: 122

I refuse to work for Angie's List members.

No Thank You

Good Luck
Jaws (06-21-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

I have had many rants here---and on other forums over the years about what an immoral business model angies List is---------

but what currently annoys me the most---- is that those MoFo's at Angies List will NOT stop calling me and trying to "sell" me.

I have told them repeatedly that I am not interested in EVER advertising with them and to PLEASE stop contacting me
Net result?---- 3-4 calls each and every effing week from angies list trying to sell me.

Personally---- my company sends out 6800 direct mail post cards each month. every 2-3 months we will get a call or a letter from someone asking to be taken off the list----which we promptly comply with. If You ask to be taken off the list you will never hear from us again

but not those MOFO's at Angies list--- they do not care!
stephen
Old 06-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Fire Alarm Systems, Fire Extinguishing Systems.
Rewards Points: 360

There are inspections, with the purpose of providing information, and there are "inspections" the propose of which is to drum up business.

Real inspections should make money for the inspector. Real inspectors would not fold and offer to refund the cost of "inspection".

Looks like a cheap, (not good, imo), promotion that backfired. He should have known better.

Mark

Last edited by MarkNoV; 06-22-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,604

"I responded with a rebuttal on Angie’s List, laying out my case. The homeowner called Angie’s List to complain about my rebuttal and it went into dispute. While in dispute, the rules required that his review would stay up and my response to it would come down."

This is why you should be a member of homeadvisor instead of Angie's list.

I've been with homeadvisor for over 5 years and have a 4.68 rating out of a possible 5. I wouldn't let them remove the couple of 2's I've gotten; they're priceless for credibility.

I've only asked them to remove a review once before regarding a lady who was reviewing a service I hadn't performed and for which I had email proof. They complied.

Recently, I refunded a customer half his money and wrote on the back of the check that by cashing the check he was acknowledging he was completely satisfied. He crossed out the writing, cashed the check, and wrote a very bad review.

I appealed to homeadvisor and they immediately removed the disputed review while they reviewed both sides. It has not been reposted; I doubt it will be.

One of their criteria for review removal is obvious lying. I sent them a picture of the writing on the uncashed check, so this should be a slam-dunk.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

Control & money... That's what it's all about,,,,,,

I can't stand these type of sites......I despise them,,,,,,,,

Feel sorry for some guys that fall into the idea,,,,,,,,,,

Not a good move IMO....

JMPOV,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 06-22-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
about what an immoral business model angies List is---------

but what currently annoys me the most---- is that those MoFo's at Angies List will NOT stop calling me and trying to "sell" me.
I sent them an email last year asking how they can say on TV 'We never take money to be listed' and yet I know for a fact it costs money to be listed (higher). Their response is/was a constant barrage of emails offering me DISCOUNTS FOR SIGNING UP TODAY. No mention of my question, only promotional offers. That's why I have a separate gmail account for such things as scam artists and thieves - Of which Angie's List is both, IMO
Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Flooring
Rewards Points: 475

Angie's List = Service Magic, or whatever they're calling themselves these days. Some good, lots of crud. IMHO
Old 06-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 578

Maybe the thread title should read " Stupid Angies List Promotion Nets Stupid Results"
A $99.00 inspection fee and minor repairs? Really homeowners get free inspections and quotes all day long. What he was offering was a roof repair for $99.00 bucks. He got what he deserved.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

The problem was the use of the wording minor repair, I may have a different idea of what a minor repair is from someone who works on roofs all day.

Should have left it at roof inspection.

Advertisement