What Is GC's Responsibility? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

What Is GC's Responsibility?

Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 30

What Is GC's Responsibility?

If my project is delayed than I scheduled at the beginning because of plan approval at town office. Is it my responsibility that can be blamed?
My schedule way more than a month delayed still keep working on the project because the owner want me to keep working on his house to finish faster. So I have been out of budget that i got paid from the owner.

Last edited by gazzek; 08-31-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: excavating/ drywall/ currently remodeling
Rewards Points: 292

Re: What Is GC's Responsibility?

Thought about this one for a few minutes. There are a lot of variables that come into play. But most likely, the answer is yes. If you are truly the GC, then that is ultimately your job. That, and riding your subs. You set the pace, and if the pace is faltering...
1st rule of management, and all.

That being said, and you can honestly say that you didn't drag your feet, that you have been appropriately aggressive, and didn't make everyone mad at the project... The arguement might be made that it couldn't be helped. But then again, could you have foreseen council dragging thier feet? Everyone knows that is just what they do. So,... Dunno!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: excavating/ drywall/ currently remodeling
Rewards Points: 292

I had a friend once, and he had a 3 million dollar a year drywall business. He once told me "if you're the crew leader and you put your nail bags on your losing your company money".

Granted the situation is not the same but the principal might apply in this case. If you see what I mean. You sound like you might be new to the responsibility?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to t.carpenter00 For This Useful Post:
Joasis (09-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzek View Post
If my project is delayed than I scheduled at the beginning because of plan approval at town office. Is it my responsibility that can be blamed?
My schedule way more than a month delayed still keep working on the project because the owner want me to keep working on his house to finish faster. So I have been out of budget that i got paid from the owner.
so you are working without approved plans & permits?

sounds like you lost or never had control of the job.
rselectric1 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 950

Probably a LOT more to the story here. Is the permit stuck in plan check? Was one approved and it changed? Before you get realistic advice here, you're going to need to provide more details.
KAP (08-31-2018), rrk (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 40,208

Quote:
Cart before the horse usually ends up stuck in mud no matter the best of intentions...

Gotta' be more to the story "way more than a month" later... if you really want us to help, we're gonna' need more details than CYA cherry picked info...
Old 08-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
Probably a LOT more to the story here. Is the permit stuck in plan check? Was one approved and it changed? Before you get realistic advice here, you're going to need to provide more details.
this is same guy who did not know plans had to be stamped
Old 08-31-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
this is same guy who did not know plans had to be stamped
I see zat now. https://www.contractortalk.com/f5/wha...permit-410674/

Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
tipi izzat you???
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #10

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 30

Yes, This is the guy asked about stamp.
Thank you so much about your advices.
Frankly I have just 4,5 years of experience, I started as a helper of a person owned small company, I am very handy, honest, fast learner. And I have 3 kids to feed. I wanted be a plumber and I got certificate from web school. It was hard to get a job as an apprentice at plumbing company. So I stared my own GC business after 3 years of experience. Some times, my profit was not better than HD casher because of my less experienced estimation. But, my clients like remodeled houses I have done.THis is how I stepped in this business and I don't have much ethic and knowledge as a GC.
So I am learning from you, Thank you so much without paying tuition.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gazzek For This Useful Post:
griz (09-01-2018), KAP (09-01-2018), rselectric1 (09-01-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-01-2018), Texas Wax (09-01-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
Yes, This is the guy asked about stamp.
Thank you so much about your advices.
Frankly I have just 4,5 years of experience, I started as a helper of a person owned small company, I am very handy, honest, fast learner. And I have 3 kids to feed. I wanted be a plumber and I got certificate from web school. It was hard to get a job as an apprentice at plumbing company. So I stared my own GC business after 3 years of experience. Some times, my profit was not better than HD casher because of my less experienced estimation. But, my clients like remodeled houses I have done.THis is how I stepped in this business and I don't have much ethic and knowledge as a GC.
So I am learning from you, Thank you so much without paying tuition.
cool !
Old 09-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 146

This totally depends on who’s responsible for the permit. In many contracts (CCDC) it’s the owners responsibility to obtain the permits. If that’s the case the owner is at fault.

If it does fall to the contractor it could be reasonably argued that there was no bad intention and that the owner is responsible for the delay assuming you submitted your permit on time and it was complete (ie maybe the city is just really backed up). That’s not a problem you could have foreseen when pricing thenjob.

Best recommendation on this would be to have an open and honest conversation with your owner about the end date. Give them what you can honestly do.

Advertisement