Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What do you do different, let's here the little things that you do that set you apart

11K views 63 replies 50 participants last post by  Willie T 
#1 ·
Reading some other topics on here got me thinking about how there are so many ways to do things in construction. Some are now considered outdated by many, but there are still some that do them in those outdated ways. Some things are considered the hack way to do them, but some still do them that way.

So point out some things that you do in your specific trade different then the way you were taught or what you consider the better way to do things.

A simple one for us is we always thinset tile backer boards to the floor. I've been told you don't need thinset, I've been told to use silicone, I've been told to use liquid nails. I think it's an important step to thinset your tile backer to the floor even though so many hacks seem to not do it. They are long gone and the customer usually will be clueless years later when the problems show up.

#7 ·
I'm not sure about that Tom... My PC does some pretty crafty things while I'm not looking... Shhhh!! Damnit, I think it heard me! Crud, its reboo..

#16 ·
I keep constant contact (daily) will all subs, vendors, and employees that are involved in a particular project. I tell you, it seems like I'm the only one that does this around here, so I guess that makes me different. :laughing:

One thing that has always bothered me about foundations/slabs is when you see blue-board sticking up all uneven with ripped edges and what not. We glue on our blue-board and cut it on a 45 degree angle with a portable table-saw. I hate seeing chipped concrete at the edge of slabs. We also tape all seams when we lay down 6 mil for vapor barrier. A dry slab goes a LONG way! just a little peeve of mine.

#18 ·
I still work the way that my dad and grand-dad did, meticulous. It will cut you out of many jobs, however there are still some that know and will pay for quality. I'm also fortunate to live close to a lot of celebs.

#19 ·
Not sure if it sets me apart, or just shows how my HO takes advantage of me...
1. I've let dogs out to go potty
2. Called the HO when their kids are on the roof
3. This is the only company I've worked for, so I don't know if others do this... but I'm always on site. From 7am until the last guy leaves. Then I make sure everything is locked up and safe. I do it more for my subs then the HO...but they think it's for them.

#20 ·
1) Keep my wiring nice and neat where it'll be seen like in a basement or attic space.

2) Provide temporary GFCI receptacles (not regular one's) for the other trades so they can work safely.

3) Clean up scrap wiring/ cables as I'm "cutting-in" so as to not leave a mess for someone else to clean later.

4) Identify ALL new circuits at the panel.

5) Make absolutely certain that all receptacles and switches are straight and faceplates are level.

#21 ·
I fully explain what I am going to do before I do it. I ask questions regarding asthetics during. I fully review everything at the end and instruct on how to operate whatever I have installed.

This makes a client feel part of the process and that they have made the right decision in hiring me.

#23 ·
2) Provide temporary GFCI receptacles (not regular one's) for the other trades so they can work safely.

3) Clean up scrap wiring/ cables as I'm "cutting-in" so as to not leave a mess for someone else to clean later.

4) Identify ALL new circuits at the panel.

5) Make absolutely certain that all receptacles and switches are straight and faceplates are level.
:thumbsup: youre hired

#24 · (Edited)
I screw-up less than most guys. :laughing:

A really smart guy told me a long time ago how to differentiate yourself better than 95% of all the guys out there... Do what you say you're gonna go, when you said you're gonna do it, and at the price you said you do it at.

One other smart thing he told me. Getting organized is the key to contracting. Stay organized and the rest is easy.

#26 ·
Don't screw the the customer, Don't nickle and time for little ****, and when you price the job, include everything possible, if you are omiting something makes sure it is spelled out CLEARLY in the exclusions, nothing pisses someone off more then having to right a check for more money cause you left something out deliberately just to get the job and hit them for and extra.

Customer like that I review the plans, find errors and omissions, tell them about it and make sure the correction is taken into account on my contract/bid.

#29 ·
When on existing res. sites:
Always run magnet everywhere.
Keep radio at reasonable volume.
Keep a neat and organized work space.
Keep the young bucks on tight leash, away from the owners daughters.
Do work you can be proud of.
Tell owners when you leave and when you will return.

Comm. or indus. sites:
Only allow skilled, experienced, and professional workers, who will not allow themselves nor their employers to look like a-holes. If skill or professionalism is a concern for owner or their workers, avoidance of these situations results in the best outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.