What Constitutes Advertising On A Thread? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

What Constitutes Advertising On A Thread?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What Constitutes Advertising On A Thread?

I'm in the Skilled trades staffing business, which means I provide jobs to Skilled trades people and valuable resources to Construction and specialty contractors and I'm trying to bring value to this forum as well as learn to help make my business successful.

I'd like to learn about companies experiences using services like ours to improve quality.

I can add value to the group through human resource questions or training, skill assessments, interview techniques and more.

I'd like to ask questions around skill sets, culture fit, behavioral interviewing, expectations and more, will this be allowed by the rules?

regards,
Dick

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: What Constitutes Advertising On A Thread?

Ask all of the questions that you want!

Mention of your business NAME could be taken as advertizing just due to the NATURE of your profession. Stay away from that and ask away.

Advertisement

Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACSTAFF View Post
I'm in the Skilled trades staffing business, which means I provide jobs to Skilled trades people and valuable resources to Construction and specialty contractors and I'm trying to bring value to this forum as well as learn to help make my business successful.

I'd like to learn about companies experiences using services like ours to improve quality.

I can add value to the group through human resource questions or training, skill assessments, interview techniques and more.

I'd like to ask questions around skill sets, culture fit, behavioral interviewing, expectations and more, will this be allowed by the rules?

regards,
Dick

Please Note:
The following is a list of advertising rules for our forums. These rules are for members posting in our forums and not for advertisers wishing to buy an ad. We offer offer banner ads, text links, and more. Please visit our Advertising Section for more information. Thanks.

Forum Advertising Rules:

The rules regarding our advertising policies are pretty simple. You are not allowed to advertise on this site unless you pay for a banner ad. If you are interested in purchasing a banner ad please visit our Advertising Section.

* Participants may not post any messages that are commercial by nature.
* Participants may not publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limited to suggesting your own services, or services of partners, clients, employers or friends.
* Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
* Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
* Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
* Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
* Participants may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
* Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
* Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors.
* Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.

But of course you read that
when you signed up......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 9,899

Where'd you find that. I just pressed agree and went on my merry way
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 01-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Where'd you find that. I just pressed agree and went on my merry way
I didn't read it that time either!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #6

Leo, Does this mean your link to your web page is a violation that could get you banned?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk

Quote:
Leo, Does this mean your link to your web page is a violation that could get you banned?
Once again from the ad rules

* Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

All you gotta do is bad mouth any service mentioned here and No one will ever spam here ever again!

Example:

How about that new Ford Pick up huh?

Ford!? who drives a ford? Found on road dead... what that stands for. My last one I had just rolled over on me end over end as I was coming down the road... They suck!

Do that to ANY service anyone mentions... that'll learn them dang sneaky bastards.

see no more spam, done & done!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #9

oh, crap I forgot I was just mentioning how much I like Lou Malnati's Chicago pizza in the off topic!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
No it does not. First what Nathan quoted from the rules makes it clear. 2nd is the fact that I don't tell people about my business, that they need to visit my website or tell them what I do to entice them to use my services. It is a simple link. If you want to go there to look at my site great, if not, that's all good too.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Mac,

I don't know the ins and outs on how they run the forums. Overall its a great resource for contractors. So what ever they are doing, they are doing it right.

They seem to allow non-contractors to post in here, if they add information that's somehow of interest or of use to us.

If you follow the forum and add insights from your own experiences, I'm sure you'll be welcomed by most.

You just started posting, and already your questioning the mods policies. Most of us like the moderating. I've had some threads I've posted to, taken down, and I never questioned their reasoning. In all cases, I could sense why.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is if people feel that they could use your professional services, they are free to PM you. I don't think it would be a good idea to PM people offering your services.

Stick around and exchange ideas, everyone may learn something. But if your only here to sell, I for one don't want to know about it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
No it does not. First what Nathan quoted from the rules makes it clear. 2nd is the fact that I don't tell people about my business, that they need to visit my website or tell them what I do to entice them to use my services. It is a simple link. If you want to go there to look at my site great, if not, that's all good too.

He just advertised his services!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
LRG WoodCrafting

Keep it up. And see what happens.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 106

Quote:
I'm trying to bring value to this forum

I am sure you have lots to offer, I think many non-contractors that are in related fields participate quite well in these forums. But, i think you need to give a lot to take a little.

I have an interest in employee leasing, if you can offer insight in a new thread, and maybe offer some other business related advice, i would like to hear it.

If you offer up enough good insight, and members can benefit from your services, they will find you.

BTW....the banner ads work well, there is a website developer that advertises here, and I could only imagine that it was his best marketing money he ever spent....

www.BadcoDoors.com

Last edited by Pearce Services; 01-11-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #15

My apologies, I'm very interested in contributing to the forum and learning from all of you.

I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,672

You can advertise only if your rate is $ Tree Fiddy in hour, if you charge more then that, run the add and see what will happen
Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

i don't think we are doing tree fiddy anymore here
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
My apologies, I'm very interested in contributing to the forum and learning from all of you.

I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone.
Can you shed some light on PEO / Employee Leasing? Is this being used in construction?

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #19

There are PEO's out there that working in the construction industry, not many though.

The conditions need to be right for a company to benefit from them, usually they can save you money on Workers comp if they add you to their pool.

They Charge anywhere from 5%-20% above payroll burden for their services.

If you have no HR dept. that could save you, however other considerations would need to be taken if you are established.

Employee moral, Payroll size? etc.

Hope this helps?
The Following User Says Thank You to MACSTAFF For This Useful Post:
carolinahandyma (01-11-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #20

I REALLY don't want to sell anyone on my great service ... my service is so good I really don't want to mention it here and violate any rules, please don't take it as advertising if I simply mention how much I can help you with my business. I just want to pick some of your brains from time to time and help steer you to some of my companies solutions to your staffing concerns, saving 20% by calling someone like me is highly recommended IF is was trying to sell, which i'm not! I'm just sayin'... I'm just making regular conversations here. Just another contractor dude, shooting beers with the guys... just a regular joe six packs. who can save you money on your staffing needs.

Got it. No advertising going on here folks ... keep it moving, nothing to see here.

Advertisement