Wet Drywall - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Wet Drywall

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 500

Wet Drywall

After Ike and the completly lame insurance responses that have dragged adjusters estimates out for months, we find customers that have had wet insulation and drywall which has dried over time that adjusters are saying is fine.
I counter with an f-you it's coming out. They counter with "o.k. heres an additional $350 to remove the wall, install new drywall, tape, float, texture, prime and paint.

I look at them, laugh and ask them to get me the name of the guy who works for those wages cause I can keep him real busy. "That's what we allow " is their response.

I go and submit my estimate and the fireworks begin..."You have a greedy contractor" He hasn't broken it down per lineal and square foot.
If I do they say the charges are too high?

Talk about a cluster puck.

After this storm I was porepared to go to Houston with my travel trailer and work with my guys. I have instead, been doing nothing but paperwork and more paperwork.

I am only doing claims for my regular customers. Out of 30 jobs 3 have gone. 2 people not in their homes and still have not been able to confirm numbers with their adjusters.

This has got to be the most frustrating thing I have ever done. Ladies crying on the phone begging (don't get any ideas they're older)

I believe the biggest problem is that they are hiring kids without a clue as adjusters I try to meet with them but they don't like to do that. They just don't understand that to remove the drywall you have to take the crown mold down, re-install and paint.

23 year old girls from Alabama climbing steep roofs to give their expert opinions....give me a break. One gal even had her baby in the car crying as she was doing the estimate. The guy through her off the job and used a few choice words to boot!.

Some might say you have to use what you have in a time of crisis but these adjusters just cause huge delays and a heap load of frustration.

Rant over....time to revamp another load of insurance estimates and go another few rounds!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Re: Wet Drywall

You're on the right track with your thoughts about who they hire.

Actually, they want the adjusters to know nothing about construction, engineering, etc. They teach them how to use the software that determines the price and that's it. The insurance companies don't want the adjusters "thinking" about what needs to be done, just fill in the blanks and go. Clearly the issue is the stuff we builders know intuitively. They don't see that the strength of the drywall has been compromised. They don't see the mold that's inside the wall. They don't see the rotting sill plates. They don't see that the baseboards are trashed. Since they don't see it, it's not in the price. Of course they rely on the owner not knowing either.

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Pro

Pretty much the case. I truly believe they delay as long as possible to wear the people down.
You can't get a public adjuster...everyone wants them.

They have trashed every estimate I have provided (even when they requested them)

I suspect it is a science they use to get what they want.

What makes me laugh is the tremendous amount of commercials for insurance companies. Everyone is mad at theirs so they are all going to switch......from the frying pan to the fire. Really a sad state of affairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
23 year old girls from Alabama
Hmm, would be different if they were 23 year old girls from Texas? Just curious.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Hmm, would be different if they were 23 year old girls from Texas? Just curious.
Thats what existed, that is what happened adding relevance and drama to the tale. She even had a banjo
Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by copusbuilder View Post
Thats what existed, that is what happened adding relevance and drama to the tale. She even had a banjo
Hell, don't let the banjo scare you.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Hell, don't let the banjo scare you.
Believe me, if I was being derogatory I would use East Texas where I live. I am surrounded with the most unusual people one would ever want to meet.

There ain't no forks in the family tress if you know what I mean!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Pro

Heheh, I hear ya.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

The real trash always blows in
after the storm.
I had a house where a tornado
had just stripped the roof clean
to the sheathing.
No other damage inside or out.
It was a house I built,
and still under warranty, so the HO
called and I went right over and
started blacking in.
Adjuster with shinny new clip board
stops work...MUST have 3 estimates.
Rained later that afternoon.
$125k damage to drywall, floors,
contents,.....
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
The real trash always blows in
after the storm.
I had a house where a tornado
had just stripped the roof clean
to the sheathing.
No other damage inside or out.
It was a house I built,
and still under warranty, so the HO
called and I went right over and
started blacking in.
Adjuster with shinny new clip board
stops work...MUST have 3 estimates.
Rained later that afternoon.
$125k damage to drywall, floors,
contents,.....
Two questions:

Your warranty covers tornado damage?

Who had to take care of the $125 in damage after the work was stopped?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Two questions:

Your warranty covers tornado damage?

Who had to take care of the $125 in damage after the work was stopped?
No, but as long as the warranty was
in effect we didn't want storm gypsies
working on our houses (we had 25
still under warranty when the tornado went
through the sub-division).
To a person, all of our customers
insisted than we did all of the repairs...
felt pretty good.
It was 12 months before we even
got to the last (worst) house.

After lots of sturm und drang,
the "Good Hands" ponied up.
The "adjuster" in question was
never seen or heard from again.

The reall good part?
I had just bought and moved into
our last model in the subdivision
3 weeks before the storm.
On call 24/7 like it or not.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:

The reall good part?
I had just bought and moved into
our last model in the subdivision
3 weeks before the storm.
On call 24/7 like it or not.
Nothing like being an on-site Superintendent even if it is NOT your job. Has that been much of a PITA?

I have done this before for Apartment Complexes. NEVER. NEVER again!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Nothing like being an on-site Superintendent even if it is NOT your job. Has that been much of a PITA?

I have done this before for Apartment Complexes. NEVER. NEVER again!
Ummm, that was 29 years ago.
I'm pretty much over it now!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
Curmudgeon

To the OP, I thought it was
pretty much SOP that all the
wiring had to come out if
it got wet inside the walls?
Wouldn't think the carrier would
want to assume the liability.

Not to mention future mold/mildew
claims.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

When it comes to disasters, the insurance adjusters will come from all over and will be just what the company can find or hire. This is a fact of life unless you want to wait until the full time insurance adjusters are available. There are probably 3 to 10 times as many temporary adjusters than full time, since there is no work available without disasters. - Sort of like the contractors that move with the disasters.

I spent 5 months in LA and MS after Katrina and Rita. I was not with an insurance company, but was a Loss Verifier for the Small Business Administration (SBA) and not FEMA.

FEMA is for disaster RELEIF immediately after a disaster, while SBA is for disaster RECOVERY later and administers the low cost (1% - 2%) loans.

A Loss Verifier (there were 1500 of us) usually worked a minimum of 60 hours a week and up to a peak of 80). This was different from the insurance adjusters that are trying to patch and repair, while the loans (not gifts) were for recovery and the standards were different. It was surprising to see what the insurance adjuster allowed, which did not make sense, but they only look at the storm damage and not what other items may be wanted if it was a proper total rebuild.

The SBA loans are actually low-interest loans that must be repaid. They usually are used to cover the short-fall of the insurance or lack of insurance.

This experience was very informative as to the difference between insurance and what the home owner wants to do or what is done in the end.

As an example, I saw many homes that suffered roof damage and water pentration and the house was not accessed for weeks of hot weather. The insurance companies will only replace the damaged portions of the roofs and the wall surfaces that obviously had been wet and any floor damage from water. Our instructions were to verify the actual damage, make sure there was damage and the estimate would cover what a typical owner would do. For roofs (some exceptions always exist), the policy was that you do not repair a portion of the roof since the shingles do not match or are not made now; if you have roof damage, you must look at the garage door since this is usually one of the weak links in any home; if you have water on the lower sheetrock there must have been water in the entire wall, so it all must be replaced; if the vinyl siding is missing, it all must be replaced since it is impossible to match the old and the manufacturers continually change colors to prevent patching.

Flooding is more cut and dried. If the water comes up 1 to 2 feet, half of the walls (4' up) must be replaced and the wall treated for mold; the floors and coverings must be replaced, the electrical lower wall outlets must be rewired, the furnace, AC and water heater must be replaced. All kitchen base cabinets must be replaced. If the home was in a manditory evacuation area, the mold considerations were much greater since the home could not be aired out quickly.

I was lucky, because I has there to help the home owners and usually saw what was allowed for a patch job and not what the owner wanted to do to improve the home instead of just fix it. It was rare to see a home owner that did not turn a disaster into a remodeling/improvement project.

Because insurance is bought on price, unless you want to buy additional coverage, there is no way to avoid the usual insurance adjusters after a disaster. There is no way I would be a disaster insurance adjuster!!! I am still on the recall list for the next disaster the SBA gets involved in because it is a good feeling to help. The money is not great, but you can operate independantly on your schedule as long as you get the job done. Because the reporting is all electronic (good internet connections required) and the government gets dirt cheap rates a good qualifying hotels, the accomodations for the other half of your daily life are usually good (unless you are in the third floor of a Holiday Inn with a destroyed first floor, an office on the second floor, rooms above, no elevator, no telephone (wireless internet and cell) and room cleaning once a week). - It was just a part of the enjoyable work.

Contractors should look into some of the programs offered by insurance companies (mainly in Florida) that offer premium discounts of about 40% plus guanteed rates for construction that meets certain requirements that are beyond code. Because of the rapidly rising rates and those expected in recencent areas, this could be a good selling point as an option for customers. In some cases, the payback for the home owner is a 2 to 5 years in addition to better resale because the property is certified.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
Handle It!

Quote:
Ummm, that was 29 years ago.
I'm pretty much over it now!
Ya Old Fart!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
Handle It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
When it comes to disasters, the insurance adjusters will come from all over and will be just what the company can find or hire.
One of my Buddies became a Pre-Adjuster concerning Katrina. He had NO training but what they could teach him in two days.

He would assess damages and tabulate info. Never make $ decisions, but he did have the "Authority of Opinion" to deem something as a "Catastrophic Total Loss".

It is amazing what these Insurance Co's. do! And who they will hire.

He was a Landscaper...Excuse me...A lawn cutter. Not a clue about Structures and Repairs.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
One of my Buddies became a Pre-Adjuster concerning Katrina. He had NO training but what they could teach him in two days.

He would assess damages and tabulate info. Never make $ decisions, but he did have the "Authority of Opinion" to deem something as a "Catastrophic Total Loss".

It is amazing what these Insurance Co's. do! And who they will hire.

He was a Landscaper...Excuse me...A lawn cutter. Not a clue about Structures and Repairs.
That pretty much sums up what we are dealing with here. I could go on and on but I type slow.

Advertisement