Water Remediation - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Water Remediation

Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Water Remediation

Job I'm running had the sewer main back up and flood the store today. It was on the city side. I have. (of course) a ton of questions but didn't see a forum for it.

Water restoration company is out in the next hour to assist with pumping and hopefully start sanitation process. What's protocol on this as far as what is water damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 18

Re: Water Remediation

Not exactly sure, but from what I have sen in residential, all drywall will get removed from the flood line down, woodwork that covers such drywall removed, obviously any carpet or pad. Framing lumber will be allowed to dry in most cases, assisted by fans.

I really don't do a lot of water damage work, now fires, I do quite a bit of those.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
CookeCarpentry (02-18-2015), griz (02-17-2015), overanalyze (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
Job I'm running had the sewer main back up and flood the store today. It was on the city side. I have. (of course) a ton of questions but didn't see a forum for it.

Water restoration company is out in the next hour to assist with pumping and hopefully start sanitation process. What's protocol on this as far as what is water damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced?
I have dealt with this a few times. Most recent was city sewer backed up and flooded a school library.

Take LOTS of pictures so you know how it goes back together.

Anything the sewage water touches is suspect.

The water remediation company will play a huge role in this.
How fast the water is evacuated and wet items that can be removed are very important.

The WRC will/should have a disinfectant they spray all over.
It works great.

As Warren said framing is usually ok. The depth of the sewage water will determine how much drywall is removed.

All flooring is history.
Any attached shelving units & counters also are removed.

Damage is determined after water removed, flooring removed, what ever store fixtures can be removed and the MINIMUM amount of drywall removed.

The city's insurance company should authorize all this work with out question.

As far as what else is damaged is up to the owner to accept.

The city & it's insurance company DO NOT ever want to hear the words mold, mildew or bacteria.

After work is completed the city/insurance co. will ask for a damage waiver & the owners at this point should have no problem signing it.

As a rep of the school district I have signed off on two sewage floodings with no problems.

Feel free to ask any questions here or on PM.

Good Luck.
CookeCarpentry (02-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Restoration Contractor
Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
........What's protocol on this as far as what is water damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced?
This is what we do for a living....

After the Water Mitigation Company cleans up the mess, removes effected materials, cleans and sanitizes, and brings moisture levels down to pre-loss levels.....The Insurance Carrier will send out an adjuster. The Adjuster will determine the scope of work to be repaired and assign a cost to the work. A Restoration Contractor will also identify a scope of work and associated costs. The Adjuster and the Restoration Contractor will negotiate and, once they agree, the Carrier will pay and the contractor will restore. If the Water Mitigation company is a "Full-Service" provider, they will Mitigate and prepare an estimate for the repairs. If they aren't, the Carrier may make Restoration Contractor recommendations or leave the Owner with a check. Throughout the process.....the Owner is free to use whatever Contractor they want.

If you've never prepared an estimate for an Insurance loss or negotiated with an adjuster, I advise you to proceed with caution. Doing the work is the easy part.....Preparing the estimate in the proper format and following the proper protocols that yield the appropriate amount for the loss is the tricky part. We are a successful Insurance Restoration Contractor (now), but in the beginning......the learning curve was steep.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Smoke Damage NJ
Rewards Points: 64

Make sure you hire a water restoration company that is WRT and ASD certified. They will know exactly how to handle it. It would also be helpful if they have worked with insurance companies before.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Insurance Restoration
Rewards Points: 201

Quote:

To shed a little more information on any type of water loss is being able to determine the Category of water/water damage:

Category 1: clean water........water from a sink faucet or overflow, toilet overflow/rupture......water that is still drinkable with minimal risk of harm. Yet, if this water becomes stagnant, surrounding temperature in an enclosure or depending on what other building materials it comes in contact with, this Category can go from 1 to 2 to 3.

Category 2: gray water.......has some level of bacterial contaminates, such as toilet overflow with urine only, washing machine overflows. Ingestion of this type of water can cause illness or discomfort.

Category 3: black water.....this is the worst of the classifications. This water can make you very sick or even death in ingested. This type of water comes from sewer backups, toilet overflows with feces and water that enters the home after touching the ground first.

While there are other variables involved, the Category and Class (not discussed) of water determines how the mitigation procedures are utilized by a professional.....make sure they are IICRC certified.

Make sure you check with someone who is IICRC certified in water damage restoration and applied structural drying.

DO NOT let an insurance adjuster or carrier tell you how to deal with type of loss.

Advertisement