Water On The Knee - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Water On The Knee

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

Water On The Knee

howdy folks

the last two weeks my right knee has been swollen and what appears to be filled with water, not much pain per say but discomfort when kneeling on floors. ive been running baseboard and 1/4 round mostly but also working on a large deck

anyhow my knee has gotten like this in the past, but only for a few days at most now its at 2 + weeks and a little concerned. i know its a common thing for carpenters to get but is it something that i should get checked out or what. i know ive been rough on my legs since an early age, i played volleyball full time for 4 yrs which caused some damage but i was never told to really worry about it..

any info would be awesome before i go talking to doc

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Re: Water On The Knee

It's fluid build up from over use is what the doc has always told me. They stick a huge needle in and drain the fluid out.

Cole

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,614

I've had 6 major reconstructive knee surgeries from sports & work injuries. Been thru your situation. Probably irritated the bursa sacks. Ice, prop your knees up (sit in a recliner) and anti inflammatories will help (2 advil 5 times per day). Invest in a good, no absolutely top of the line knee pads. If you can get to a hot tub it will help also. Unfortunately rest with the ice & advil is the best combo (weekends?) Doc's used to drain water off the knee. It's an old practice anymore. After the swelling goes down work slowly on range of motion exercises. Strengthening your quads & hamstrings will also help. The neoprene knee braces work wonders for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 5,570

Quote:
They stick a huge needle in and drain the fluid out.
I had infection set in after knee surgery a few years ago. Had to have it drained 5 times.

It ain't fun.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #5

Trade: Former spec home builder now remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

I have had serious knee issues for ever and have gotten both knees replaced in the last year. I ddint have any work but good insurance. I feel great now. Anyway my advice is to elevate your knee every chance you get[above your heart] and get one of those ice wraps from a medical supply or Walgreens and ice it as well. Also you probably should invest in some good[not cheap] knee pads.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,244

What ever you do don't go to the hospital with it...I did and it cost me 3 K for a 10 minute drainage I could of had done in a doctors office for a couple hundred bucks. Wasn't even painful...but the little oriental doctor that did end up ding the drainage was a little doll...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
topsail's trimcat

interesting, cost wise im a little curious as how it wil be for me since im in canada different health care system.

as for neoprene knee braces, i have that covered ive been wearing them for 13 years on and off as i need them based on how my knee feels. as for strengthening the quads ive been getting to the gym but with the knee the way it is ive been avoiding training legs but upped the cardio to try and loosen it up.

knee pads, well i have em but just the cheap foam ones which never stay in place, might pick up some vball pads like i used to wear.

anyhow my brother works along side orthopedic surgeons and sis in on knee replacements, i called him to see what info he could get me
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,634

I had that twice. The first dr drained it and did nothing and it filled right back up. They then sent me to an ortho dr and he drained it again except when he did it he pumped in a shot of cortizone when he was done. No problem since.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

There are ways to strengthen differeent muscles with little joint movement. My spelling may not be correct, but I am talking about isometrics. You isolate a particular muscle and use resistance to strengthen it. Can start off with a towel, rope ,etc., basically keeping the muscle tensed for a period of time and reps without moving the joints involved.

That being said and the time it has been bothering you plus the swelling, I would advise a professional opinion.

Hmm, that sounds familiar.

Last edited by boman47k; 03-16-2010 at 09:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
griz (03-16-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: bricklayer/stonemason
Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflyer View Post
I have had serious knee issues for ever and have gotten both knees replaced in the last year. I ddint have any work but good insurance. I feel great now. Anyway my advice is to elevate your knee every chance you get[above your heart] and get one of those ice wraps from a medical supply or Walgreens and ice it as well. Also you probably should invest in some good[not cheap] knee pads.

hows that workin out for ya?...life span?...docs say l may need a new knee in the future...they say most of the cartlige is toast...hopeing l can get of with some sort of cartige reconstruction..time will tell
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,453

Had it a few years ago in my elbow. Dr. drained it and injected cortisone (painless, as opposed to some reports). No problems in that respect since then.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,152

Happened to a friend of mine, ended up it was a bone tumor that got aggravated with he hit his knee hard by falling on a patch of ice.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,164

It may be a meniscus tear. My knee swelled up and quit working because the cartilage was torn. As you age the cartilage loses it's elasticity and can tear. I had arthroscopic surgery and it helped a bunch.

It's always something!! Worn out tool or worn out body part.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 250

From personal experience you are going to want to do the following nightly and as much as possible on the weekends/off work days:

R.I.C.E.
Rest
Ice (20 minutes on 20 minutes off for 3-4 hours)
Compression
Elevate (above the heart or it does no good)

And make sure to get some good quality knee pads because you are just going to continue to irritate it otherwise.

You may want to have it drained and get a cortisone shot for it if it continues to be an issue. Be wary of too much cortisone as its a steroid and over time will do more damage than help.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Happened to a friend of mine, ended up it was a bone tumor that got aggravated with he hit his knee hard by falling on a patch of ice.

Bite the bullit, get a professional opinion.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
topsail's trimcat

as mentioned earlier my brother works side by side with orthopedic surgeons as he deals in replacement joints. hes going to ask a couple docs he knows to point me in the right direction

the origin of the aching knees comes from volleyball 12 years ago, sprained my ankle 3 times in 4 months and stayed on the ankle, taped it and iced it but i was too proud to rest it as i was being looked at the # 4 university team in the country at the time. wanted to impress the coach, end of high school season the knee started to really hurt, lost close to 12" off my vertical

needless to say the old abuse and the abuse of construction then kneeling to install countless feet of base and 1/4 round hasnt helped
Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: carpentry/drywall/plaster
Rewards Points: 250

usually when my knees act up...an ice pack, a good single malt scotch, some viccodin or percoset and a good cigar.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rock View Post
usually when my knees act up...an ice pack, a good single malt scotch, some viccodin or percoset and a good cigar.

You should have been a doctor.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
topsail's trimcat

well bought some better kneepads last night, the type that look like all terrain hockey shin pads,the foam ones just werent cutting it. gonna go to a walk in clinic today to get it looked at. free service btw
Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 361

My knees were feeling ok until I read this post.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson