* UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request.... - Page 3 - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

* UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #41
chief pencil holder
 
Scribbles's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sacramento CA
Posts: 1,605
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


I believe in the following,

Give the customer value; value is product, value in quality, and value in service.

If the GC got you the job, he is financing the job, he is managing the job, in a way you are an employee. If you do not want to steal work from the GC why does it matter if you are a sub or employee?

I have many GC's I work with, they are comfortable sending there customers to my shop to discuss the details of their job. Some GC's use my office to meet there customers. I have a big sign out front that says Sacramento Millworks, I think there customers notice it, But the GC'S know that I respect them, and the time and money they have spent to build a client base.

If a client walks up to me and asks who I work for I will say Sacramento Millworks, but why piss on someone who is trying to help themselves and you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
Nothing you do as a professional should be for free. It's just a silly way of groveling for business if you think about it..
http://sacramentomillworks.com

Last edited by Scribbles; 08-09-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Scribbles is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbles For This Useful Post:
skyhook (08-11-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #42
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
Hey mike what did you do before you were the lord of the toilets?
Why do I recall Mike saying he was a sales manager or something to do with selling cars?
__________________
If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place ~Lao Tzu

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Kent Whitten is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #43
Pro
 
opiethetileman's Avatar
 
Trade: DIYer apparently
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: jacksonville florida
Posts: 1,887
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


so now we are going on 3 pages of the shirt saga again..this is like WHALE WARS..................you croos the line I am gonna ram ya with my nail....


all in all I dont care if was subbed out or what not..but a gc that starts off lying is not a good stepping stone.Who knows if he would have gotten paid at the end.And if he had to do a lein then the HO would have said WTF how can a employee of he GC d that. GC runs with his cash and maleko gets left in the cold.

scribbles..and you say you just bid low to get the job. ARE you sure you are not on CRAIGSLIST stupidity ads. So you would work the week or more and risk the chance of not getting paid.

then come work for me in florida. I bet after the first day you would quit. I PUT MONEY ON IT
opiethetileman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #44
Pro
 
Sar-Con's Avatar
 
Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 842
Rewards Points: 504

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Man, you had this guy in a tight spot - I might have asked him for cash upfront, and you could "help" him out of this tight bind....But in the end walking away cuts your losses. No doubt this wouldn't be the end of the drama.

Definably bill this GC, even if it seems a wasted effort. It's a business loss, when it comes to tax time, it'll help.
Sar-Con is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #45
General Contractor
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Posts: 3,444
Rewards Points: 12

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Scribbles is catching a lot of shat. But I am still wondering about what I read in the OP's opening statement.

Quote:
" I see you are wearing your shirt"
Me.. Yup, I always do
GC.. Didnt we talk about wearing my stuff
Me... No, you just asked if i would wear it.
GC.. Well....
Me.. Huh,
GC.. Could you please wear my shirt while you work on My job
The two bolded, underlined sentences stand out for me.

It pretty much sounds like the GC was misled into understanding there would be no problem with wearing his shirt.
And I am also wondering why he expected to see the OP wearing a GC shirt when he walked up if the OP had not already taken one of those shirts. He certainly couldn't be expected to have on the GC's shirt if he did not already have one in his possession to put on.

I'm not saying the GC was being above board with the HO................... BUT, I also cannot help asking myself if we are hearing all the story.

Personally, although I have not happened to work on one, I have seen dozens of jobs where everyone wore the shirt of the lead contractor.
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Bill Everett - St. Petersburg, FL

Last edited by Willie T; 08-10-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Willie T is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #46
Pro
 
Mike Finley's Avatar
 
Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 14,078
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Well, it's about starting time on the ole job site...

The homeowner is probably there with a box of donuts, the wife is coming out with a tray of coffee...

... looking around... huh... where is everybody? I don't know Ethel, he sure is a nice guy, I wonder if he gave his guys the day off?

Mike Finley is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #47
chief pencil holder
 
Scribbles's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sacramento CA
Posts: 1,605
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Quote:
Originally Posted by opiethetileman View Post
...scribbles..and you say you just bid low to get the job. ARE you sure you are not on CRAIGSLIST stupidity ads. So you would work the week or more and risk the chance of not getting paid....

You need to buy me dinner first if you want to keep talking dirty to me.

And I don’t think I ever said bid the job cheap, unless I was being sarcastic, our shop rate is $65 an hour, so no we are not cheap. This week I closed an R&R or a stair, low bid was $3200, I was $6800, took the time to educate the HO why we were worth the cost, the details in the contract and the scope of work, and we got the job. I don’t compete on price, I compete on Value, and there is a big difference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
Nothing you do as a professional should be for free. It's just a silly way of groveling for business if you think about it..
http://sacramentomillworks.com

Last edited by Scribbles; 08-10-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Scribbles is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #48
Superior Firepower
 
skyhook's Avatar
 
Trade: GC HVAC/R Lic. since 1985
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 3,077' above sea level
Posts: 5,089
Rewards Points: 3,880

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Quote:
Originally Posted by maleko View Post
GC.. Ok this is kinda embarassing, but, i wouldnt have gotten this job if i didnt have enough people working in my company, the owners were concerned i didnt have the man power so i told them i had plenty of people working for me, not a problem.
GC, ok Ill let it slide today, Ill tell them, ( the owners) that this was the only shirt you had this morning to wear..
One of those HO butt kissers. Next will be "you'll get paid if and when I get paid.
skyhook is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #49
Pro
 
J F's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 9,058
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


I stayed out of the other thread because I was amazed of the ruckus that was caused due to a t-shirt.

Or in the aluminum hat wearin' folk's eyes, the "deception"...ooooooo...scary

Either the op has the balls to tell the GC straight up before any agreement is struck "I will NOT be wearing your shirt, it sucks the integrity from my soul."

Or just STFU, wear the shirt, do the work and get paid....wash, rinse, repeat.

I think it speaks of poor as hell communication skills on the op's part that he didn't straight out just tell the GC that he will not be wearing the freakin' shirt...good fvkn grief charlie brown.

As far as the conspiracy theorists go...how many of you have ever said "WE" when talking about your biz, when you were just working on your own, when you got started....I guess "me, myself and I" equals WE....is that the big lie as well?

I just don't understand all the applause for the unprofessionalism (on both sides, but the op's the one coming across as a hero here it seems). Why did you even show up on the job without making it crystal clear to the GC that you WOULD NOT wear his shirt, that it would make you feel like a 16 yr. old that got felt up on prom night?


--------



added - so no one gets their feelings hurt

Last edited by J F; 08-10-2010 at 10:36 AM.
J F is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
A. Spruce (08-10-2010), carsco (08-10-2010), Cjeff (08-10-2010), Framer53 (08-10-2010), J.C. (08-10-2010), Jason Whipple (08-10-2010), rbsremodeling (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #50
Grand Rapids Remodeling
 
Paulie's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI.
Posts: 3,115
Rewards Points: 2,052

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


[quote=J F;984897]


I think it speaks of poor as hell communication skill's on the op's part that he didn't straight out just tell the GC that he will not be wearing the freakin' shirt...good fvkn grief charley brown.

I hate these wishy washy responses, why don't you tell us what you really think.

I feel the love.
Paulie is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #51
Handle It!
 
MALCO.New.York's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY ~ Haverford, PA
Posts: 9,588
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


I do believe that we covered this scenario in the other thread!
__________________
Something to One may be Nothing to another!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
MALCO.New.York is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #52
Pro
 
J F's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 9,058
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


My bad, I must have missed the last 18-20 pages. And now we have this thread....
J F is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #53
Member
 
Gary1's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling & Renovations
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Muscatine, Iowa
Posts: 57
Rewards Points: 75

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


I see both sides. I to was aksed to wear a t-shirt by the GC and I said ok. Turns out he lied to me and the HO. Went ahead and finished the job and told the HO what part I had been responsible for, and I would gladly come and fix any problems with that. HO was very happy and pleased with the kitchen and trim work I had done.
One year later they are suing GC for framing problems and other issues. GC has filed for bankruptcy during this whole thing. His lawyer decided to make everyone involved pay some how. It cost me in money and in reputation because of the jerk and his lawyer.
HO has since hiried me to come in and fix his problems. And even apologized for putting me through that. The problem started when he told HO I was one of his employee's and not a sub.
So from now on you want me to wear one of your shirts, it will be in the contract. And it may even cost you some advertising fee!
Oh by the way it cost 3 jobs that were lined up to do, but when they heard what was going on they back out for one reason or another.
Gary1 is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #54
Pro
 
J F's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 9,058
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
So from now on you want me to wear one of your shirts, it will be in the contract.
There...see how easy it is.
J F is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #55
Member
 
Gary1's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling & Renovations
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Muscatine, Iowa
Posts: 57
Rewards Points: 75

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Hey, I tried to respond ten messages ago but to that long to type it using the ultra fast one finger method!

GaryS
Gary1 is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #56
Pro
 
J F's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 9,058
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


J F is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #57
Pro
 
Mike Finley's Avatar
 
Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 14,078
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
I stayed out of the other thread because I was amazed of the ruckus that was caused due to a t-shirt.

Or in the aluminum hat wearin' folk's eyes, the "deception"...ooooooo...scary

Either the op has the balls to tell the GC straight up before any agreement is struck "I will NOT be wearing your shirt, it sucks the integrity from my soul."

Or just STFU, wear the shirt, do the work and get paid....wash, rinse, repeat.

I think it speaks of poor as hell communication skills on the op's part that he didn't straight out just tell the GC that he will not be wearing the freakin' shirt...good fvkn grief charlie brown.

As far as the conspiracy theorists go...how many of you have ever said "WE" when talking about your biz, when you were just working on your own, when you got started....I guess "me, myself and I" equals WE....is that the big lie as well?

I just don't understand all the applause for the unprofessionalism (on both sides, but the op's the one coming across as a hero here it seems). Why did you even show up on the job without making it crystal clear to the GC that you WOULD NOT wear his shirt, that it would make you feel like a 16 yr. old that got felt up on prom night?


--------



added - so no one gets their feelings hurt
The sub / employee thing is a big deal to your customers whether we are aware of it or not.

I make it a point to always bring it up with customers. In my business the kitchen and bath companies are my biggest competitors and I don't know of any of them that operate like we do. Every kitchen and bath company I know simply is in business to sell customers cabinets and then sub out all the work, so a customer will meet with a nice designer, spend hours masturbating over cabinets and then a bunch of people the customer has never met before (lowest bidders to the kitchen and bath company) show up to do the work and the kitchen and bath company spends the rest of the project doing damage management.

If you guys think that customers aren't aware that the more subs on their job the worse it is for them, you have another thing coming. Because I make it a point to talk about this issue with customers on a regular basis I'm exposed to all the comments they make about it. Customers given a choice would always prefer a contractor with in house employees doing the majority of the work on their projects.

Exactly why this whole topic is an issue and the shirt thing is so important to this scumbag GC. He was hit with the issue right from the get go and lied to the customer from day one and is trying to put on this fake charade that these subs are his employees.
Mike Finley is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #58
Pro
 
J F's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 9,058
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


And that explains why the word "NO" from the very beginning shouldn't have been the OP's response?
J F is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (08-11-2010), Willie T (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #59
I like Green things
 
WarnerConstInc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a van, down by the river. Auburn, IN
Posts: 22,891
Rewards Points: 5,682

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Well no....
__________________
Warner Mill Works
Facebook
YouTube
WarnerConstInc. is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #60
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 22,426
Rewards Points: 228

Re: * UPDATE * To T-shirt Wearing Request....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
The sub / employee thing is a big deal to your customers whether we are aware of it or not.

I make it a point to always bring it up with customers. In my business the kitchen and bath companies are my biggest competitors and I don't know of any of them that operate like we do. Every kitchen and bath company I know simply is in business to sell customers cabinets and then sub out all the work, so a customer will meet with a nice designer, spend hours masturbating over cabinets and then a bunch of people the customer has never met before (lowest bidders to the kitchen and bath company) show up to do the work and the kitchen and bath company spends the rest of the project doing damage management.

If you guys think that customers aren't aware that the more subs on their job the worse it is for them, you have another thing coming. Because I make it a point to talk about this issue with customers on a regular basis I'm exposed to all the comments they make about it. Customers given a choice would always prefer a contractor with in house employees doing the majority of the work on their projects.

Exactly why this whole topic is an issue and the shirt thing is so important to this scumbag GC. He was hit with the issue right from the get go and lied to the customer from day one and is trying to put on this fake charade that these subs are his employees.
Mike, Very well said and very very true.

Advertisement

griz is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
request for contract extension rshackleford Business 5 10-09-2009 07:21 AM
The weirdest HO's service request call yet! GnB Co. Carpentry 45 06-17-2009 10:07 PM
Update to the steps thread precisionbuild General Discussion 24 02-16-2009 10:05 PM
T shirt launcher heartoftexas Marketing & Sales 23 02-16-2009 06:19 PM
Customer has an interesting request... duckdown General Discussion 45 01-13-2009 06:17 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?