Up For Discussion - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Up For Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Trade: Carpenter

Up For Discussion

Hey all, this might seem like an odd question. I work for a small firm. A few years ago the farther of one of our crew bought in the company and “son” instantly got a supervisor position. Up until this our entire crew was very close knit, beers every weekend, bbq’s after work fridays, fishing, hunting, just like any small crew should be. Anyways, this guy turned into a complete dick, over night, his father ended up leaving the company, and the supervisor role was kept, as was the attitude. Now first let me say I have no problem taking orders from co-workers that are also my friends, when they are qualified. This guy bitches when you take the time to do a good job on say some finish work, he constantly tries to rush every job, he will show up on sites that he isn’t over seeing, tells everyone they are doing everything wrong, when he spend 90% of his day talking to head electrician about hunting and sitting in his pick up smoking. We lost 3/4 of our crew because of him and his father being part of the team, however he is still kept on and we have reason to believe that there was a secret “contract” between our owner and this guys dad. Our labourers have walked off site because of this guy more than once, he tells me that going to get my ticket is a waste of time, he brings animosity to any site, there’s anxiety and unhappiness anytime he’s around . I’ve tried to talk to my boss but if falls on deaf ears. Does anyone have any advice that doesn’t involve “suck it up”? I can’t leave the money but 5 years of this **** is starting to take its toll. Thanks for your time!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,162

Re: Up For Discussion

Wow, I donít know if I could handle five years of that.

Have an exit strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 600

Qualified construction workers are in high demand most places. Don't know about yours. "Canada" is a big place.

Start looking around.

What happened between the owner, the "father", and the "son", really doesn't matter. It's above your pay grade.

The only thing that matters is if you want to work for them, and do what they want you to do. If not, get out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Justin Rhoades (01-22-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 994

Look for someplace else to work.
I would also add that getting too close to coworkers and spending too much off the clock time with them can result in lots of problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
mrcat (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 288

Get your ticket.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8876linzo View Post
Hey all, this might seem like an odd question. I work for a small firm. A few years ago the farther of one of our crew bought in the company and “son” instantly got a supervisor position. Up until this our entire crew was very close knit, beers every weekend, bbq’s after work fridays, fishing, hunting, just like any small crew should be. Anyways, this guy turned into a complete dick, over night, his father ended up leaving the company, and the supervisor role was kept, as was the attitude. Now first let me say I have no problem taking orders from co-workers that are also my friends, when they are qualified. This guy bitches when you take the time to do a good job on say some finish work, he constantly tries to rush every job, he will show up on sites that he isn’t over seeing, tells everyone they are doing everything wrong, when he spend 90% of his day talking to head electrician about hunting and sitting in his pick up smoking. We lost 3/4 of our crew because of him and his father being part of the team, however he is still kept on and we have reason to believe that there was a secret “contract” between our owner and this guys dad. Our labourers have walked off site because of this guy more than once, he tells me that going to get my ticket is a waste of time, he brings animosity to any site, there’s anxiety and unhappiness anytime he’s around . I’ve tried to talk to my boss but if falls on deaf ears. Does anyone have any advice that doesn’t involve “suck it up”? I can’t leave the money but 5 years of this **** is starting to take its toll. Thanks for your time!
Think of it from this angle... if nothing is going to change (as it seems likely being your concerns are falling upon deaf ears), is this something YOU want to put up with for another five years OR do you begin contacting the guys you had a relationship with and BBQ'd and drank beers and find out where they landed after they left of if they are aware of any opportunities out there?...

After five years, the message should have gotten through to you that things aren't going to change in the way you wished it would... and in reality, why should it? You've already demonstrated that you're willing to put up with it for years...

Might be time to find a new crew (or rejoin one from the old) and/or create your own path... just be sure you have the new gig lined up before dumping the current one...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Justin Rhoades (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice that doesnít involve ďsuck it upĒ? I canít leave the money but 5 years of this **** is starting to take its toll.
If you truly can't leave the money, then you have no choice but to suck it up. The good pay ought to at least help with the ulcer treatments.

If it's really that bad, walk. Like some of your ex-coworkers did. If you're at all competent, you'll survive.

Have to ask though... Five plus years in the trade and you haven't gotten or at least started the process of getting your ticket? Why not?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #8

I am currently waiting to go to school for my 3rd year.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
What? What are you going to school for?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 824

Quote:

What trade are you in? Enough hours to do the levels back to back and find a new job while youíre in school?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Welcome to the real world, suck it up or leave but don't expect beers and bbq's wherever you go.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Fixed (01-22-2019), griz (01-22-2019), jproffer (01-24-2019), rselectric1 (01-22-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,246

My experience is if you don't enjoy your job it probably won't get better. Get your ticket, quit your job and start your own company. That's what I did anyways lol.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #13
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
Welcome to the real world, suck it up or leave but don't expect beers and bbq's wherever you go.
PAY ATTENTION TO THIS......

life is too fvcking short and full of other miseries to put up with a miserable job.

you are evidently happy in your situation....

when i worked for a living, beer & bbq's made life better for all involved....

as avenge said just don't expect it....

but it was one of the reasons how i could produce a crew and subs fast...
hdavis (01-23-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 288

I've been known to grill burgers and hotdogs on site. Free lunch for everyone everyday.

Keeps everyone on site, and none of the subs come back late from lunch.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #15

I never said I expected that, I said that’s how tight knit our crew was. I was merely asking for some advice not some ****y comment.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
I never said I expected that, I said thatís how tight knit our crew was. I was merely asking for some advice not some ****y comment.
So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
What? What are you going to school for?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #17
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,746

Here's a thought.

Have a man-to-man, intelligent and composed meeting with the guy causing the problems...not his boss. Set up in advance a lunch meeting with him so he doesn't feel overwhelmed and threatened. Have a short list of notes ready of things you'd like to discuss.

From my experience, if you come across as someone just telling him..."you suck", it's not going to get you very far except maybe the door.

Try to use a little psychology. Sounds like he may be on a power trip of being in charge.
Maybe....maybe...if you can approach him in a way of making him aware of some of the problems without directly placing blame on him...he will start to look for answers himself, making him look like a star.

I've always tried to go to the source. Going behind or around someone can make it look like a conspiracy...not good.

Throw a BBQ...invite all the guys....maybe it will jog his memory about how things used to be.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
I never said I expected that, I said thatís how tight knit our crew was. I was merely asking for some advice not some ****y comment.
Quit and go on welfare, youíll be much happier.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #19

Thanks for everyone’s professional responses. There’s a few of you.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,544

Based on the OP's description, it sounds like "dad" bought his kid a job. The kid doesn't have the skills or knowledge to go out and get a job on his own. The kid sounds like a spoiled brat who knows he can't get fired.

This is not the first time I have seen someone buy into a company and then have their offspring get management jobs in that company. I have seen this happen way too many times with small firms all the way up to multi-million dollar corporations.

Virtually every time, all the good people quit, the company loses money, and, one of two things happen: the company goes under or get's bought up by a competitor, OR, new ownership comes in and fires the kid (s). However, usually, by the time the kid(s) get fired, it's too late.

Change happens all the time, you have two choices: adapt to it, or, leave and go to a place where you are better suited. In this OP's case, I would get out before the ship sinks any further.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
m2akita (01-27-2019)