Unlicensed Contractor's Sting RI - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Unlicensed Contractor's Sting RI

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Unlicensed Contractor's Sting RI

I thought this was great to watch on a rainy day! Maybe I'll share this video with customers who squawk about my price, when comparing an unlicensed hacks price!

It's not like it would matter, it's all about the bottom line!

Enjoy!!!
http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/target_...ng_20090504_nk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Smart phone? Scan me!

Trade: Painting/Framing/Drywall
Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: Unlicensed Contractor's Sting RI

unfortunately that is going to continue to happen. People don't care to pay until the crap pile lands in their lap.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,500

This isnt a problem because of the economy. They just are now waking up to the problem because they dont have as many new builds to collect their fees from so they have to figure out new ways to get it.

Good for the legitimate guys, but kind of too little too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

At least a FEW more homeowners will get the message. Hire someone without insurance/license...it could cost you thousands of dollars in learning ..
Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,036

The solution would be simple if they were really interested in one.

Fine the homeowners, too, - - why pretend the homeowners are always some kind of 'victim'??

It takes two to make an illegitimate deal . . .
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tom R For This Useful Post:
bert0168 (05-06-2009), ClosetPro (05-05-2009), constmgt (05-05-2009), Darwin (05-09-2009), Handymanservice (05-09-2009), john5mt (05-06-2009), Mitchell Const. (05-05-2009), nEighter (05-05-2009), rbsremodeling (05-06-2009), the big 12 inch (05-10-2009), WarriorWithWood (05-09-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #6

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 75

http://www.mysuncoast.com/global/story.asp?s=9932516

Here is a sting that Manatee County did in my neck of the woods. The funny thing is all these clowns advertise every day in Craigslist. I was glad to see them get busted.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
Pro

I dont feel sorry for homeowners

Some people living in a trailer on their land while it was being built got into one of these "be your own GC" "why pay a professional what you can do yourself!" const loan things.

So they hired these yahoos to frame and roof their house.
These guys didnt put any headers in window and door openings, they "modified" trusses cuz they "didnt fit right". Their floor joists where cockeyed. They didnt install a rim joist (just 7/16 osb).

The HVAC guys showed up and said they werent gonna do any work in that thing cuz they were scared of it falling down on them. (it was out in the country where there isnt mandatory framing inspections)

My brother felt sorta bad for them, but hey they didnt have to pay a GC!
Some guy came in with a crew and ripped off the roof and replaced the bad trusses, fixed everything, and resheeted and roofed the thing. Ended up costing them 50,000.

I am kind of for your idea of fining the homeowner too. Thats the only way to stop this homeowner GC craze. If all those home remodels actually were done according to the law i think people would pay a lot more attention to what their legislators are doing cuz it would actually start costing them money to do anything.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fine the HO for hiring unlicensed and fine an employer for hiring illegals. Sounds like common sense to me. Now if they'd only fine regular folks for buying Chinese, we'd fix this country's problems once and for all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdat For This Useful Post:
nEighter (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Pro

I dont think we need to fine people for buying chinese. We need to fine the chinese the same rate that they fine our imports and give our exports the same leniency that they give theirs. That would close the gap fast.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post

Fine the homeowners, too, - - why pretend the homeowners are always some kind of 'victim'??

Our state board has started going after homeowners as well...especially the ones that act super dumb. I lost a bid to a cat that was $6500 under me and I knew that something didn't seem right...and the homeowner knew what was up when the guy asked him to pull his own (owner/builder) permit. Sad part is...the cat skated with the deposit, and now the owner wants me to "work" with him and his "remaining" budget to remedy the situation.

Hell naw...why do they always want to call you after they get hit over the head? LOL!!

BTW - the min. fine for unlicensed activity is $5000.00. This goes for both the homeowner and the jack leg.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhotep0357 View Post

BTW - the min. fine for unlicensed activity is $5000.00. This goes for both the homeowner and the jack leg.

It's ths same in Maryland however it takes a few times getting caught.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Bosch Power

Trade: carpenter/G.C.
Rewards Points: 75

I hope you guys aren't insinuating that having a license makes you somehow a superior craftsman. New Hampshire doesn't require licensing and the natural order of things weeds out the hacks, so does the building inspector.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post

I agree completely, Excellent post!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

In Michigan the Governor signed in new Legislation into Law back in Dec of 2007. that would make it mandatory that all contractors and subs would have to have a License, Either Builders or M&A Contractor License. they instated mandatory Pre Licensing Classes, which cost $750.00 then you take the test which is another $100.00 Then if you pass the test it costs you another $250.00 and then you wait for your License. now if you get caught working with out a License you could be Fined and Jailed for 90 days with $5,000.00 Fine, to as much as 2 to 5 years in prison with $25,000.00 Fine. The thing is the Governor is cutting jobs so they don't have that many people in the field, Then with all the Auto workers looking for jobs, while they collect Unemployment Benefits, I have met guys who are collecting SSD from the Social Security and working under the table, Everyone is looking to do things cheap if they can, A lot of guys are moving to other trades just so they can make some money. This one guy I know who's a carpenter he's doing insulation for his brother in laws company, they do Government contracts for low income people the Government pays 70% the homeowners are to pick up the rest, if not the Government pays it, I would say that's some of that FREE MONEY some folks talk about.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry/Floor covering

The contractor reg. board has also been watching the local craigslist postings. They made a posting stating how it is illegal to advertise w/out a reg#. Someone has been pointing out the hacks to the board. We'll see what happens with that.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Old House Mechanic

Trade: Old House Mechanic
Rewards Points: 342

[deleted]

Last edited by RenaissanceR; 04-22-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: per advise of attorney
Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by notillegal View Post
I hope you guys aren't insinuating that having a license makes you somehow a superior craftsman. New Hampshire doesn't require licensing and the natural order of things weeds out the hacks, so does the building inspector.

Whoa....

I don't think that I said anything about being superior...LOL...I just know that I'm certified and able to work as a licensed entity under the provisions of the Florida Building Code. My superior craftsmen are my subs and their employees...they make my jobs happen, and I admire and appreciate them for that!!

Advertisement