Trade Work For Advertising - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Trade Work For Advertising

Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

Trade Work For Advertising

I bid an outdoor spa installation way-low back in March. I didn't think I'd get the job and was just trying to get a feel for how low the market was. The bid was around $750 for a job that I'd normally quote at $1k.

Yesterday (2 months later) I get a call that they want to trade for advertising in their local magazine. They offer $2k in advertising for the spa wiring. Lately advertising hasn't produced much return. This spa has some expensive materials...50A 240V breaker, disconnect, wire, conduit, etc..

It could work out, or it could be a waste. What do you think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 386

Re: Trade Work For Advertising

Let me ask you this, can you prove to yourself that the advertising would be worth $2000 to you? If so, will it reach the market you want it to. If no, then tell them cash.

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

The main reason I didn't jump on the offer is that my current advertising isn't performing as well as usual. It feels like a gamble. I wonder if they'd go for running the ad until I get $25k in business from it.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 152

Go ahead and ask them to run the ads until you get enough jobs from the ads.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

2 months ago I traded writing 2 articles for two 1/4 page ads in a Homeowners Handbook. No materials on my part. I wrote one article on green build practices that are easy to do and another on how to make your remodel go easier. They sent out 20,000 books so I'll if I get one job for a kitchen or bath its worth it.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
strat hd

Trade: framing contractor , remodeler , GC occasionally
Rewards Points: 1,000

Here is another one.
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/sks/1173904295.html

Thank you for all those who have already inquired and have generously offered to help already!

This is a calling to all local skilled trade workers in (findlay) and surrounding areas! I need help and I am reaching out to all local businesses and handymen that may be able to help us. My mother and I have embarked on a dream of opening a family restaurant here in Findlay. This is a family restaurant and the name is THE OLD WORLD CAFE and the theme is "our family serving yours". It is a family focused restaurant that will be Kid friendly. We have leased the building and purchased the equipment and the renovations have begun. The Landlord had agreed to bring the building to code and change its use to a restaurant, but upon starting the renovation and getting quotes from the general contractor and sub-contractors it appears we are way over budget and it is now up to us to see that the work gets finished. We do not have the money that we are being told is needed to complete the renovation. not even close. The Landlord has given what he can generously, and the truth is the building was in worse shape than expected...it was pretty old. So with no other option, we are reaching out to our local business owners who know what it is like to try to make a dream come true, and ask for help. We will supply the materials needed to complete the job so there is no money needed up front for materials. We need experts and laborers in all areas. Though most of the large and heavy construction will be completed there is still so much finishing to do. Heating, Plumbing, electrical, drywall, flooring, painting, fire suppression, you name it! Some services must be by a licensed technician, but some of it is handyman work s if but have the skills and knowledge please do not hesitate to contact us! We do not have many of the equipment and tools needed so you must provide your own. We are NOT asking for free help or a handout. I understand times are tough but maybe there are a few local small businesses out there that could use a little free advertising along with being a part of bringing a classic location back to life in Findlay. We are a local family that can be trusted.
This is what we are offering: because our budget is very limited we are asking that you consider being paid by the job, not by the hour, at a heavy discounted rate for labor and services. In return, you will get free advertising for your business for a full year through our restaurant. Your business will be on all of our fliers which will be put in all our carry out bags, your business information and contact info along with what work was completed will be featured in an "our story" booklet that will be on all tables for customers to read. "our story" will also be featured on our website when operational with free links to your business website. Not to mention that all my customers will see what a beautiful job was done when they come in! YOUR FAMILY, be it your personal or business family will be featured on our "Wall of Thanks" which will be located in the foyer entrance giving all customers the opportunity to see that "your family serves others" with a photo of your family/logo. And lastly all those that help us will get a special discount card that will be valid for up to 50% off meals for two people for an entire year.
We don't have much to give, but we will give what we can.
IF you are out to try to make money off of us, this is not for you. We do not have the time or energy for scams! There will be plenty of people around that are honest good skilled workers to call you out if you are! But if you are honest and willing to help us by giving us your time and skills please email me at [email protected]
Please list your area of skill and we will let you know what we need in that area so you can give us an offer/quote.
The main construction will be finished in a few weeks then we have a limited window of time to get the drywall, windows, painting, and HVAC, kitchen equipment hooked up and finishing touches done so please help us if you can!
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for your consideration!

My email again: [email protected]

Last edited by strathd; 05-23-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Celtic's #1 Fan

Trade: electrical

just so I understand....they start to open a restaurant without any plan or enough financing...they don't have the money to get the repairs done to actually open...they are asking for handouts with the assumption that somehow they will get the money to pay for advertising...both co-op for you, and for them to actually get customers in the door...

and in an industry where well funded, well planned restaurants go in and out of business in the matter of months, they want you to have faith that they will actually be open for a full year?

nah, no holes in this plan...jump on it...
Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Crash Test Dummy

Trade: Landscaping

What about having them cover the cost of materials, then take the rest in advertising?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting

They are offering to pay for the materials but want people to discount the labor for the "free" advertising.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

I have trade work for favors before. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

I have done work for the Ladies at Scores for free and they in turn do work for me free of charge. It seems to work out

Last edited by rbsremodeling; 05-24-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Business Owner/ Entrepreneur
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I bid an outdoor spa installation way-low back in March. I didn't think I'd get the job and was just trying to get a feel for how low the market was. The bid was around $750 for a job that I'd normally quote at $1k.

Yesterday (2 months later) I get a call that they want to trade for advertising in their local magazine. They offer $2k in advertising for the spa wiring. Lately advertising hasn't produced much return. This spa has some expensive materials...50A 240V breaker, disconnect, wire, conduit, etc..

It could work out, or it could be a waste. What do you think?
We have been trading work for glossy/ full color/ full page ad space in a local magazine for about a year now and it has worked out extremly well for both of us. They are charged regular rates with regular mark-up on material (which we provide as well)
Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

The only time I traded work for advertising was to be on a TV show. I had to provide, me, tools, 50 feet of basic crown and in return my business was mentioned on the the ending credits of the show, 2 minutes of airtime on the actual show, and hanging out with producers and cameramen all day. I would say 2 minutes of commercials on DIY network would be around 5-10k. I think it was a pretty good deal
Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I have trade work for favors before. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

I have done work for the Ladies at Scores for free and they in turn do work for me free of charge. It seems to work out

Call me next time you work that arrangement out, I'll be there right away!!

I will even pay for my own gas and maybe bring a few green tools.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,572

I do some work around this girls house in exchange for....

Hair cuts!!! Free for the last 3 years!!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: home remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

20 years ago when I had a moblile mechnic service I made a deal with the woman in charge of classified advertising at the local newspaper. I fixed her or her husbands vehicle any time any place (parts not included) in exchange for a classified ad (could change it daily too) listed under services 7 days a week. Turned out to be a pretty good deal. Got a lot of calls and only had to fix their cars a couple times, thousands of dollars in advertising.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Multi-tradesman defender

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 250

I owned a full color glossy magazine for 2 years, trade was my friend. I bartered for everything. The cost to produce those pages is very small once you get past a certain page count.

Let's say it cost you $3200 to produce a 28 page mag, it might only cost you $3400-$3600 to print 32 pages. Imagine the amount of "trade" you can do for an extra $400.00.

I would give it a try, especially if they are willing to offset the cost of materials. Make sure they come out of pocket a little, at least.

Now about the restaurant. I would be all over that if there is a reasonable chance of the restaurant thriving. After reading through that Mess, it sounds like the building owner did not have the capital to make the improvements necessary and now theyare kinda stuck. They already have all of the fixtures, they have no choice to find a way to open the doors.

That could be one hell of a feel good story in the local newspaper. I would have the restaurant owner Press Release the heck out of the services they will offer, the progress of the work, the people working on it, the rebuilding of a "city Treasure", anything I could do to shed light on the restaurant.

In the long run, this could be something a guy could be real pound of. Knowing that you were able to help a family realize their dream in your spare time. Sort of like building a Habitat home.

Also, I have spare time that I would rather be working & networking, than trying to invent more business with. Think of all the people watching this progress, and the publicity/exposure of the story to the surrounding businesses and families that will eat here, they would know you were not just about profit, that you cared for the community.

I say go for it if anyone is in the area and considering it. But do the work yourself, not your employees.

http://www.yourhandymansite.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Handymanservice For This Useful Post:
fez-head (05-24-2009)
Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
huntington beach, ca.

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 250

Hell No! That $750 is real money, that you worked and had to pay for( materials). How much of the socalled $2,000 value did they have to work or pay for?

It's BS, if there value is so god damn great, why are they giving you $2,000 value for your $750. Because there value is BS, as in not costing them a damn thing in labor or material costs.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Business Owner/ Entrepreneur
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelectric View Post
Hell No! That $750 is real money, that you worked and had to pay for( materials). How much of the socalled $2,000 value did they have to work or pay for?

It's BS, if there value is so god damn great, why are they giving you $2,000 value for your $750. Because there value is BS, as in not costing them a damn thing in labor or material costs.
What does it matter what they are paying out to supply that advertising - if he where to walk into their office that is what it would cost him and now he is able to trade $2,000 advertising for $750 worth of labor and material.

Even at $1,000 labor and material he is getting a 50% discount off the "regular rate" and that should include his overhead and profit built in. As long as $2,000 is the "true rate" and not some inflated number it is a win - win for both.

Like I said above - I pay 100% of the regular advertising rate and my advertiser pays 100% of my regular rate and it is STILL a good trade for me.....of course they are getting the better deal but what difference does that make as long as I am getting a great deal as well.

Good luck in what ever you decide
Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #19
strat hd

Trade: framing contractor , remodeler , GC occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymanservice View Post
I owned a full color glossy magazine for 2 years, trade was my friend. I bartered for everything. The cost to produce those pages is very small once you get past a certain page count.

Let's say it cost you $3200 to produce a 28 page mag, it might only cost you $3400-$3600 to print 32 pages. Imagine the amount of "trade" you can do for an extra $400.00.

I would give it a try, especially if they are willing to offset the cost of materials. Make sure they come out of pocket a little, at least.

Now about the restaurant. I would be all over that if there is a reasonable chance of the restaurant thriving. After reading through that Mess, it sounds like the building owner did not have the capital to make the improvements necessary and now theyare kinda stuck. They already have all of the fixtures, they have no choice to find a way to open the doors.

That could be one hell of a feel good story in the local newspaper. I would have the restaurant owner Press Release the heck out of the services they will offer, the progress of the work, the people working on it, the rebuilding of a "city Treasure", anything I could do to shed light on the restaurant.

In the long run, this could be something a guy could be real pound of. Knowing that you were able to help a family realize their dream in your spare time. Sort of like building a Habitat home.

Also, I have spare time that I would rather be working & networking, than trying to invent more business with. Think of all the people watching this progress, and the publicity/exposure of the story to the surrounding businesses and families that will eat here, they would know you were not just about profit, that you cared for the community.

I say go for it if anyone is in the area and considering it. But do the work yourself, not your employees.
Think I'll check into it HMS. The restaurant is on Main st. (good location) and only about a mile from my house. Hell, I don't have much going on anyway.

Advertisement