Time Is Of The Essence Clause - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Time Is Of The Essence Clause

Old 11-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

Time Is Of The Essence Clause

So I'm negotiating a Contractor Agreement with a client where they have awarded me the job to build them an office building...a $400k project. But one of the owners is insisting on a "time is of the essence" clause and she (and her lawyer) are not budging even though I added additional language to provide a little more control/protection for them.

The only other solution I see is simply adding another 4-6 weeks to my completion date but I doubt they will agree to that.

Just curious to hear thoughts from other contractors on this.

The language I have in the agreement now is,

Project Timeline and Extension: Work is planned to begin on or about ___________________. Work shall be completed by __________________. Time may be extended for delays from extreme weather, a Change Order, fire, unusual delay in deliveries, unavoidable casualties, or other causes beyond Contractor’s control or which justify the delay.

It is the Contractor’s responsibility to mitigate or prevent delays. If any type of delay is expected by either party, written notice shall be provided to explain the reason for the delay, associated costs, and specify steps taken to minimize the delay. Once the extension of time is approved, a Change Order shall be created.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 852

Re: Time Is Of The Essence Clause

I would take out the word "extreme" in the weather.

Any $$ penalty for being late?

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

No penalty. She just wants legal recourse if I am delay the project for any reason whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

It's simple. They can have the clause but they have to pay for it.

If you meet the terms of the clause you get rewarded, if you don't you get punished.

Fairs fair. Whatever they want in damages if you are late is what you get compensated for if you are on time.

This has gotten rid of every TOE request I've ever had.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (11-22-2019), Kowboy (11-30-2019), Ohio painter (11-22-2019), overanalyze (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
It's simple. They can have the clause but they have to pay for it.

If you meet the terms of the clause you get rewarded, if you don't you get punished.

Fairs fair. Whatever they want in damages if you are late is what you get compensated for if you are on time.

This has gotten rid of every TOE request I've ever had.
That's what I was going to suggest.

If they insist on liquidated damages then tell them it's not going to happen unless there is an equal daily bonus for coming in before contracted completion time.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #6

Carrot and stick approach. I like it. Right now they are not asking for a liquidated damages clause. But it may be required to at least list damages that would occur if there is a delay in order to make the TOE stick in court.

They are renting the space they have now so I believe the only "damage" would be another month of rent.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

Imo, TOE clauses aren't very enforceable if you are making a good faith effort to complete. If you expect to be juggling jobs during this time frame then it might be an issue. I wouldn't be too scared of it. Most of our commercial contracts have it. You can always buy an extra day or two(or more) with every change order to increase the pad that way. It's not ideal but sometimes you have to play the game.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #8

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 12

I worked on a job where the owners of the company were getting a three million dollar bonus if the job was done by the deadline. There was 60-80 guys working on that place toward the end.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,704

TOE, please hurry, must be done by etc etc etc...

don't mean jack diddly unless there is reference to liquidated damages if the project is not completed by a certain date.

nothing is implied that you will get a bonus if done early unless it is stipulated in the contract.

LD's, are often difficult to get if you can show that you have diligently prosecuted the project throughout the time frame.

change orders, RFI's due to difficulties w/plans etc, weather, material delays, inspector issues, unforseen/unknowns, etc can & will effect the outcome.

to defend yourself it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that you keep a daily log indicating the manpower on the job, subs, equipment, material deliveries, RFI's, unknown/unforseens, inspector issue, weather etc.

any of the above can & will cause delays and add days to the schedule but must be thoroughly documented.
KAP (11-22-2019), overanalyze (11-22-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 208

Do you have a definition for "substantial completetion" in your contract? Might CYA if you have finish items or punchlist stuff after the deadline. Basically, write it in that if they can move into the office and start using it, even if there is still work to be done by you then you are covered.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Advertisement