Thoughts Please... - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Thoughts Please...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Master Trim Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Thoughts Please...

So, I am a 35 year old trim carpenter who is at one of those odd points in life. Stick with it or change it up? What I mean is, I enjoy what I do but we all know the rollercoaster that construction can be. I have had a good run with doing trim carpentry as a sub for six years, but I am considering returning to college to pursue a degree in architecture. I do not mean to sound like an arrogant person but I feel less than challenged by carpentry anymore. I know there is always something to be learned and I cannot say I have done it all but it is pretty much all the same principles applied.(I hope I don't offend anyone here) So I have two young children and a wife and am considering college at 35. Any thoughts or opinions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Thoughts Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Carter View Post
So, I am a 35 year old trim carpenter who is at one of those odd points in life. Stick with it or change it up? What I mean is, I enjoy what I do but we all know the rollercoaster that construction can be. I have had a good run with doing trim carpentry as a sub for six years, but I am considering returning to college to pursue a degree in architecture. I do not mean to sound like an arrogant person but I feel less than challenged by carpentry anymore. I know there is always something to be learned and I cannot say I have done it all but it is pretty much all the same principles applied.(I hope I don't offend anyone here) So I have two young children and a wife and am considering college at 35. Any thoughts or opinions?
Go get it Carter. I am heading in that direction soon. I will start doing kitchens and baths and play a larger designer role in my company. I am 38 and can't take the punishment anymore.

I will draw and design till I am 65. I put the hammer down 6 years ago. I ain't picking it up again unless its to crack crabs open to eat.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

I say go back to school. Before you decide architecture take an intro class before you commit. I took arch for a semester at Wentworth(Boston) and it is challenging and alot of the kids get forced out between year 2 and 3. I changed my major to construction management. I liked the building aspect more than the design. With arch you need to go for 5-6 years and go get registered. ALOT of work. It really is a passion. Also, if you end up working for a firm, you won't be doing much design as drawing and spec book stuff. Good luck man. Its not too late to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

What ever makes you happy.
You spend a good portion of your life at work, you might as well enjoy it.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Jallen

Trade: Custom and semi custom homes, post frame builder

Your right about construction cycles and I understand what your saying about having an interest in doing something else, I had those same feelings when I was your age and a little younger, I can't say I regret not doing it, but I usually get those feelings when the weather is bad or the job I am working on is just not a whole bunch of fun. I would say, if the wife supports the idea, go for it you always have another trade to fall back on if it don't work out. Besides, the additional education is really only going to make you better at what you do. I only wish all architects had spent at least one year in the field anyway, it would be a big benefit to them.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler, Roofing Expert and Coach
Rewards Points: 75

I worked for a large design build firm in Mass and had a unique advantage over other remodeling companies. My design/build sales were designed by carpenters who became designers. These men were employees. When the jobs they designed were finalized and turned over to the lead carpenter, the lead had complete confidence in the project because the designer was also a carpenter. I used this combination of field experience and design to win many customers. Homeowners thought this was a huge benefit over using a designer or architech who had limited or no carpentry field experience. This is a great combination that will improve your prospects after you complete your education.

So if you think this is right for you and your family go for it! Best of luck.

mark the coach
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Carter View Post
I say go for it, it sounds like you're following your heart and passion, and that has the potential to make you happy.

As for me, I intend to keep swinging my hammer until I can no longer lift it. It's what I love to do and keeps me sane.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #8

Trade: General Contracting, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

Jim, I reached that very same crossroad about 3 years ago and just this fall did I return to school at 36. I hurt my back, not serious but enough to force my hand. Fortunately I have about 2 years of credits that transfered so it should only take me 4 to finish lol.

I would love to go the architecture / construction management route but with my schedule I had to chose an online degree so...... a business degree it is with a focus on operations/project management.

Its been time consuming but I know it will give me options when the time comes.

Advertisement