Texas - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Texas

Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Texas

Ok guys I need to know is Texas a good place to go to find work? I have been looking at craig's list and I'm seeing all kinds of jobs, I see no light at the end of the tunnel here in Michigan, I told my girl friend that I may need to pack up the truck and head down south to find work, plus I'm getting sick of the cold weather. So the question I have do you guys think it would be a wise move to take my company down to Texas and start all over again? would appericate your guys imput Thanks again Frank

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Re: Texas

Google "Golden Triangle". Lots of money/work. Cheap cost of living.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

my old partner moved to Texas he says no work but he is a idiot he had it great here made almost 100,000 last year no overhead we are subs for same 2 guys he thought he could do better in Texas now he has emailed me to send him money to come home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbone3 View Post
my old partner moved to Texas he says no work but he is a idiot he had it great here made almost 100,000 last year no overhead we are subs for same 2 guys he thought he could do better in Texas now he has emailed me to send him money to come home
What part of Texas?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
FRAME ON!

Trade: Decks,All phases of remodeling,
Rewards Points: 1,000

I would not even waste your time here. It is a tough area for the illegals here to contend with.

Only reason I have work is I fought my way to the top over a few years.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+Carpenter View Post
I would not even waste your time here. It is a tough area for the illegals here to contend with.

Only reason I have work is I fought my way to the top over a few years.
You know what I'm talking about? You live there don't you.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Pro

A+Carpenter I got three emails back about work down there around Port Arthur and they all said to come down since the type of work I do there is no one who can do it. I guess that is what you mean about the Illegals? Two of the companies I wrote to told me to contact them when we get in town.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Why don't you move to New Orleans or somewhere close to where all the damage was. All you hear is how much work there is and will be for the next 10 years.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Pro

Mike I have heard the problem is housing down there, I am heading for Texas since the cost of living is cheaper there, But who knows I am leaving all options open, I have looked at work in California,Las Vegas, Arizona, also have had a couple of guys tell me to go to Florida, Georgia, so I'm sure we will find work some place. I'll have my Brother and myself plus we are taking all the equipment we can put in three trucks. Plus I have had a couple of companies contact me about coming down to Texas to work.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,774

I think you will do ok....coastal area of Texas has a real shortage of skilled trades. Keep us posted.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Builder

Houston,Dallas,Austin and San Antonio are listed in the top ten for housing starts in the Sothwest.
Houston is known as a town that people that want to work can excell in.
Can you walk in and hit he top??? Probably not, but the economy is doing well and energy prices seem to be helping.
Illegals hurt so a niche market will help if you can work in that direction.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

If you are good at what you do and content to do it and get along well with people,then you will do well in texas.Texas is very freindlly to concientious,hard working friendly people.If you qualify,welcome to texas.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,774

Something I would do if I were seriously gtoing for my best shot, would be pick a smaller city/community/area and call the chamber of commerce, look at newspapers online, resource the area...spend a few days doing this. Call a few realtors, see if you can line up work ready to go...and where you will live. Texas has no state income tax....but you probably need to get the license requirements, so it wouldn't hurt to have all the info you can before you head out the door.

Texas Timbers (from this site) is making it tempting for me to move to Fannin County Texas....and I have no reason to move...it would take a year to clear my schedule here with no new jobs taken on...but it is tempting...I always love adventure, and moving to the gulf coast and missing that Michigan winter may be the best perk you could get.

Best of luck to you!

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #14

Trade: Building/Remodeling/Sawmilling/Blow Stuff Up Somet
Location: In the Deep South, along the West side of Northern Central East Texas
Rewards Points: 75

Frankawitz joasis is right coastal areas are best for skilled trade. Other guys wrong and the 'buddy" of the guy must be lazy or blind there is work at every level down here and plenty. Maybe some slow areas but I haven't hear where. Don't be afraid of the wets they have taken over cooks, lkandsacaping, concrete, roofing and are moving into the skilled trades but there is still a few years left before our July 4th celebration is totally replaced by Cinco De Mayo.
If you are a motivqated guy with fire in your belly you will do fine.

You are welcome to come down here just one thing .... when you get on the jobsite if there are any native Texans and they ask you to do something a certain way ... please do not respond with any of the following remarks ....

"Well that's not the way we do it back home ... in Mitchikin"

"That's not the way we do it back North"

"Well I never seen it done like that before that doesn't make any
sense.."

And the LAST thing you want to say to a native Texan when he is your lead man .....

"Wow! Geepers! I guess it really is true! You Texans are a bunch of backwater, podunk, redneck morons! Here buddy, let me show ya a better way step aside ......"
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #15
Pro

TexasTimbers,
That's cool I can get along with anyone, I don't try and tell people what I can do I just show them, and if they have questions I'll explain,
I have contacted a couple of companies and got e mails from them telling me to call them when I hit town, they both said they have allot of work and could use the help. I have no problem with starting out as a sub, what kind of licesnsing is needed for plastering and drywall, Here in Michigan you don't need a licesens to do these trades, I wouldn't mind taking the builders test for a builders licesene. where is the best advertising to have in Texas? Could you tell me the names of local newspapers? Thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #16

Trade: Building/Remodeling/Sawmilling/Blow Stuff Up Somet
Location: In the Deep South, along the West side of Northern Central East Texas
Rewards Points: 75

frank I was being a little cheeky you know don't take me too seriously.

Now as to your questions you need to tell me where y'all are going to land so to speak. Houston? DFW? San Antone? There is a little town called Orange Texas where I have a buddy who moved from here to there because he had so much work. Sold out and left. And he had a nice big spread here. Lots of acerage and all.
Anyway, send me a PM with your phine number and we'll chew the fat about htis. Could be I can get you a job before you are even packed.

Edit: Oh yeah texas is a "Right to Work State" but of course you have to know your rights to exercise it. Here's the website you'll need to read as a sub. Texas License Jerks

Advertisement

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 11-04-2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Givin Frank more info