A Teachable Moment - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

A Teachable Moment

Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,532

A Teachable Moment

So I'm going to vent. Went to HD today to pick up some suppliers for a project for the next three days. Now before everyone gets on my case for going to HD in the first place, here's the facts: I can go to any one electrical supplier in the area and pay 30-40% more.....which is my profit; wait 15 to 20 minutes at the counter for the counter staff to find my parts......then wait more cus they picked the wrong stuff; spend time negotiating with someone in sales to get me a 1/2 way decent price. OR, I go to HD, see what I want, put it in the bucket check out and leave.

So getting back to my original vent: I get my stuff, put it in the bucket in my cart and go wait in line at the contractor check out. It's zoo as usual, and, the guy that knows his stuff at the check out counter isn't there, so I am dealing with two of the slowest checkers. This is a fact, I know these people, and the guy, Greg, can go through 5 contractors, while the other barely make it through one.

I am finally getting to the counter with one guy in front of me, so I put my bucket on the counter, and quickly (30 secs) put my shopping cart outside. The minute I turn around back to the counter, this other contractor cuts in front of me and unloads his stuff. This is when I say WTF out loud to get his attention, I also got everyone else attention.

Here is the conversation (keep in mind that the checker, who is a nice gal, is a complete idiot):
Me: Hey, I was waiting in line here and you cut in front of me
Contractor: So?......keeps on unloading his stuff while the checker is ringing him up
Me: Ok, wait a minute here. I waited in line and this is my stuff on the counter.
Contractor: Nothing.....he just glances at me......BTW this guy is wearing his company hat, shirt and jacket....all embroidered with his company name. ..........fortunately, I am NOT wearing any of my company stuff cus it's an office day.
Me: You know, this is really f----d (other people are looking at ME now) what's the use of standing in line and waiting, especially with my stuff already on the counter.
Contractor: Nothing, starts putting all his stuff in his cart.
Checker: Oh, I thought you two were together
Me: I look at the guy and say: You know, I am never going to do business with your firm
Contractor: I don't care......grabs his receipt and leaves.
Checker: I'm sorry, he just came up and started unloading his stuff, I thought you were with him.
Me: Nope, I wasn't. Maybe I'll just go on Yelp and flame his company. Well, I guess all this cost me about 15 minutes......

Here's the lesson, I ended up looking like the jerk here, cus I didn't keep my cool. Since the Contractor, spoke low and I spoke loudly...........he's off the hook. People standing and waiting in the other lines look at me as some old coot who's having a bad day ( which is why I am thankful that I didn't wear any company stuff).
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
tenon0774 (03-05-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

Re: A Teachable Moment

I can relate to your frustration. The littlest things in life tend to get me aggravated/infuriated mainly due to the Italian blood.

Every day that goes by, I try to be more like this guy:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Advertisement

Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CENTERLINE MV For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (03-05-2013), painterman (03-06-2013), svronthmve (03-06-2013), tenon0774 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,052

Thanks for the post.

I can only speak for myself but if I were watching this unfold I wouldn't say anything but love that a a$$wipe was getting called out.

I'll be willing to bet most of the other guys in line thought the same way.

I'd also take note of his hat logo and steer clear of his co. in the future.

It's been talked about before but it's the egotistic d!cks that park in the loading area and go shopping that sends my blood pressure off the scale.

Anyways, well done Cat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (03-05-2013), hdavis (03-07-2013), TAHomeRepairs (03-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

I hate it when at the depot and someone steals your cart you just took from someone else
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
EMINNYS (03-07-2013), pinwheel (03-06-2013), Robie (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: electric
Rewards Points: 150

The oldest trick in the book when someone raises their voice you lower yours. Now comes the true growth experience you need to call and apologize for loosing your cool .
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 520

You're a better man than I am. At the very least I would have swiped all his stuff off the counter on the floor.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schaefercs For This Useful Post:
CScalf (03-05-2013), dom-mas (03-05-2013), EMINNYS (03-07-2013), greg24k (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I hate it when at the depot and someone steals your cart you just took from someone else
I learned this the hard way at Costco, once. From then on, if I'm going to be walking around with an empty cart until I find my stuff, I will put anything in it temporarily, just to keep folks from stealing my cart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
EMINNYS (03-07-2013), Gary H (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Pro

I would have her ring up your stuff with his. Then take your bags and thank him for the service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
I learned this the hard way at Costco, once. From then on, if I'm going to be walking around with an empty cart until I find my stuff, I will put anything in it temporarily, just to keep folks from stealing my cart.
I had people take my cart with my stuff before. WTF? Stealing my cart is one thing, but my stuff that i just loaded Now you crossed the line.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
The oldest trick in the book when someone raises their voice you lower yours. Now comes the true growth experience you need to call and apologize for loosing your cool .
Luckly I wasn't shouting. Just loud enough to get the attention of the contractor, the checker and a few folks in the immediate area. I was hoping to embarrass him enough to apologize at least, but he didn't.

Also, don't try "new age" psychobabble on me. I lived through the sixties. I was there when it all started. My first college degree was in behavioral psychology. I interned as a therapist (almost 40 yrs ago). So that means that I am more than qualified and justified when I YELL at all these "new age", "kumbuya", "get fuzzy" shrinks.

BTW: who would I call and apologize ?? HD ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-07-2013), TxElectrician (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I would have her ring up your stuff with his. Then take your bags and thank him for the service.
That actually did cross my mind as I was driving home.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
littlefred811 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

I've been helping a guy out and we were at HD the other day and I was carrying a bag of thinset. He told me to take that cart over there, it only had 1 or 2 things. I looked at him like he had 3 heads and told him I could carry the bag for a few more minutes. I didn't think people actually did that sort of stuff. But then again he passed someone in a residential area in no passing zone during a snow/freezing rain storm the other day.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx0z9...B70D9F31D4C13C
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldfrt For This Useful Post:
bmcquin (03-05-2013), CENTERLINE MV (03-05-2013), greg24k (03-05-2013), svronthmve (03-06-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: electric
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Luckly I wasn't shouting. Just loud enough to get the attention of the contractor, the checker and a few folks in the immediate area. I was hoping to embarrass him enough to apologize at least, but he didn't.

Also, don't try "new age" psychobabble on me. I lived through the sixties. I was there when it all started. My first college degree was in behavioral psychology. I interned as a therapist (almost 40 yrs ago). So that means that I am more than qualified and justified when I YELL at all these "new age", "kumbuya", "get fuzzy" shrinks.

BTW: who would I call and apologize ?? HD ?
Your way to smart for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
Your way to smart for me.
Not smart, just educated.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 884

I try to avoid times at HD when HO's are around. They park themselves in the middle of the aisles oblivious to anyone around them. Then clog up the contractor check out. I've not had too many problems with fellow contractors there since we are all on a mission and moving twice as fast as everyone else.

I might have reacted the same way you did, but maybe not. It would depend on how the day was going I guess.

People who are oblivious to everyone else make me crazy as well. No different than the short green arrows we miss more and more due to some kid texting her bff and slowing everyone down in the process.
greg24k (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,420

I believe in old ways and still use it when I can... they always work the best
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
cwatbay (03-05-2013), Gary H (03-05-2013), oldfrt (03-05-2013), rselectric1 (03-05-2013), svronthmve (03-06-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
General Contractor

Quote:
So I'm going to vent. Went to HD today to pick up some suppliers for a project for the next three days. Now before everyone gets on my case for going to HD in the first place, here's the facts: I can go to any one electrical supplier in the area and pay 30-40% more.....which is my profit; wait 15 to 20 minutes at the counter for the counter staff to find my parts......then wait more cus they picked the wrong stuff; spend time negotiating with someone in sales to get me a 1/2 way decent price. OR, I go to HD, see what I want, put it in the bucket check out and leave.

So getting back to my original vent: I get my stuff, put it in the bucket in my cart and go wait in line at the contractor check out. It's zoo as usual, and, the guy that knows his stuff at the check out counter isn't there, so I am dealing with two of the slowest checkers. This is a fact, I know these people, and the guy, Greg, can go through 5 contractors, while the other barely make it through one.

I am finally getting to the counter with one guy in front of me, so I put my bucket on the counter, and quickly (30 secs) put my shopping cart outside. The minute I turn around back to the counter, this other contractor cuts in front of me and unloads his stuff. This is when I say WTF out loud to get his attention, I also got everyone else attention.

Here is the conversation (keep in mind that the checker, who is a nice gal, is a complete idiot):
Me: Hey, I was waiting in line here and you cut in front of me
Contractor: So?......keeps on unloading his stuff while the checker is ringing him up
Me: Ok, wait a minute here. I waited in line and this is my stuff on the counter.
Contractor: Nothing.....he just glances at me......BTW this guy is wearing his company hat, shirt and jacket....all embroidered with his company name. ..........fortunately, I am NOT wearing any of my company stuff cus it's an office day.
Me: You know, this is really f----d (other people are looking at ME now) what's the use of standing in line and waiting, especially with my stuff already on the counter.
Contractor: Nothing, starts putting all his stuff in his cart.
Checker: Oh, I thought you two were together
Me: I look at the guy and say: You know, I am never going to do business with your firm
Contractor: I don't care......grabs his receipt and leaves.
Checker: I'm sorry, he just came up and started unloading his stuff, I thought you were with him.
Me: Nope, I wasn't. Maybe I'll just go on Yelp and flame his company. Well, I guess all this cost me about 15 minutes......

Here's the lesson, I ended up looking like the jerk here, cus I didn't keep my cool. Since the Contractor, spoke low and I spoke loudly...........he's off the hook. People standing and waiting in the other lines look at me as some old coot who's having a bad day ( which is why I am thankful that I didn't wear any company stuff).
Don't worry bout it, we all come across people like that here and there... and you did the right thing, to many people in the store, its not worthed.
EMINNYS (03-07-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
I try to avoid times at HD when HO's are around. They park themselves in the middle of the aisles oblivious to anyone around them. Then clog up the contractor check out. I've not had too many problems with fellow contractors there since we are all on a mission and moving twice as fast as everyone else.

I might have reacted the same way you did, but maybe not. It would depend on how the day was going I guess.

People who are oblivious to everyone else make me crazy as well. No different than the short green arrows we miss more and more due to some kid texting her bff and slowing everyone down in the process.
Couldn't agree more with you, contractors usually don't do that, for the most part if you have a few items and they have a loaded cart, some let you go ahead and I do the same out of courtesy.

But HO, some are so rude it makes you wanna do something you regret later...
On weekends I don't even show my face in these places, and if I have to get something, I pop in real early when they just getting into theirs slippers.
rselectric1 (03-05-2013), svronthmve (03-06-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Atlanta Remodeling

Trade: Home Repairs and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
I am finally getting to the counter with one guy in front of me, so I put my bucket on the counter, and quickly (30 secs) put my shopping cart outside.
And that's where the mistake was made. Never, ever get out of line at Home Depot. I'll agree he(Contractor) was an a$$ about it.

Advertisement