Tape / Other Material To Hide Screw Holes In Metal Door Frame? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Tape / Other Material To Hide Screw Holes In Metal Door Frame?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Tape / Other Material To Hide Screw Holes In Metal Door Frame?

Anyone know of a product (i.e. a thin metal or vinyl tape) that I could apply to cover screws & recessed screw holes in a metal exterior door jamb that won't interfere with the door closing properly?

I've got a customer who previously had a steel exterior door installed. The rest of her doors are all wood with smooth painted trimwork. The metal jamb of the new steel doors has several recessed screws showing & she doesn't like the look - especially since it is so obviously different from the otherwise smooth trim & millwork throughout the rest of the house.

I thought about just caulking the holes & smoothing them over with a putty knife - but think this won't look all that good. So something like a thin tape might be the best bet.

Any ideas?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Tape / Other Material To Hide Screw Holes In Metal Door Frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer5 View Post
Anyone know of a product (i.e. a thin metal or vinyl tape) that I could apply to cover screws & recessed screw holes in a metal exterior door jamb that won't interfere with the door closing properly?

I've got a customer who previously had a steel exterior door installed. The rest of her doors are all wood with smooth painted trimwork. The metal jamb of the new steel doors has several recessed screws showing & she doesn't like the look - especially since it is so obviously different from the otherwise smooth trim & millwork throughout the rest of the house.

I thought about just caulking the holes & smoothing them over with a putty knife - but think this won't look all that good. So something like a thin tape might be the best bet.

Any ideas?
http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/Bondo/

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Doorfitter
Rewards Points: 500

I'm not exactly sure where the screws would be, I've installed thousands of hollow metal doors, knock down metal frames, and if your talking about the large adjustment screws on the "stop" of the jamb.... you could bondo that up without interfering with the operation, however good luck removing the door in the future.

As for the trim area, I'm not aware of any screws that might be showing, unless the installer drilled and recessed his own holes....what type of frame is it, Timely, western integrated, Wilson partition? is it just a hollow metal one piece or 3 pieces? if it's just an open cased frame it should have come with some form of trim to hide the screws and they wouldn't be recessed...

Just tell the home owner that this is what security looks like and you don't wanna paste something on that's gonna look worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD View Post
I'm not exactly sure where the screws would be, I've installed thousands of hollow metal doors, knock down metal frames, and if your talking about the large adjustment screws on the "stop" of the jamb.... you could bondo that up without interfering with the operation, however good luck removing the door in the future.

As for the trim area, I'm not aware of any screws that might be showing, unless the installer drilled and recessed his own holes....what type of frame is it, Timely, western integrated, Wilson partition? is it just a hollow metal one piece or 3 pieces? if it's just an open cased frame it should have come with some form of trim to hide the screws and they wouldn't be recessed...

Just tell the home owner that this is what security looks like and you don't wanna paste something on that's gonna look worse.
They're pretty large head screws running vertically along the side jambs. The installer put them in correctly & they look fine considering what he had to work with. She just doesn't like the fact that they're obvious.

I thought about bondo, too, but didn't want to do something that might look bad. I know I can sand the stuff down to be flush with the steel jamb & she can get it painted afterward - but don't particularly like that solution.

That's why I thought something like a 'craft' tape or metal/vinyl tape might be a solution...
Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tape peels, scrapes, tears....
Bondo is permanent, paintable,
invisible when finished....
Column A, column B......?
The Following User Says Thank You to neolitic For This Useful Post:
nEighter (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #6

Trade: General Contractor, Electrician
Rewards Points: 25

Go for the bondo, that's pretty much exactly what it is used for anyway... Or there is some putty I have used before, kind of like spackle called "Crack shot" from Dap. Can be used on metal doors to fill in dents and whatnot.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Pro

I went with the bondo. She loved it.

Tells me she's putting me on the "approved contractor list" for her complex.

Advertisement