Supplier Billing To Customer Billing? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Supplier Billing To Customer Billing?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: a little bit of everything, roofing, windows, doors, kitchen & bath remodels
Rewards Points: 244

Supplier Billing To Customer Billing?

I have been in business for about 10 yrs by myself, small remodels and no employees. A yr and a half ago I hired employees and start taking on larger jobs and it has been a struggle since then. I knew because I was the only one picking up materials/supplies and getting a copy of every invoice at pickup that I could just bill off of them. Now that is not working and I can ask the employees for invoices per job, yep you got all of them, and then a wk/month later oh here found this. But the job is already billed out and so I am stuck with that expense.

Is there a better method than waiting for the end of the month bills from suppliers, comparing my copies to the monthly bills or making a copy of each of their invoices that needs billed to a job and adding that to each job folder and then billing it out 10-45 days later depending on billing cycles?

What method works for tying invoices to say credit card charges, and such? Put a copy of each invoice with each months CC bill?

I would like to get organized enough that I could hire a part time secretary to do billing and data entry to quickbooks, as I need to be on the jobsite every day.

Last edited by nwksremodeler; 03-24-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 452

Re: Supplier Billing To Customer Billing?

Most credit card companies nowadays will show you your purchases online right after they are incurred. My employees have cards, and sometimes I send them for stuff. About a month ago, I remembered that one employee gave me the receipt, and I promptly lost it. Went online and found the expense very easily.

As a side not, I just found that receipt a few days ago. It was in one of the pouches of my tool belt.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Remodels
Rewards Points: 851

Use PO's with the Employee Name and Job Name. Anything not turned in that is in your name will be deducted from the checks. You can do the same with cards. Give everyone their own card and anything without a receipt they are on the hook for.

Truth of the matter is that unless an employee (or anyone for that matter) has some skin in the game with their own money they don't care about it. So if there is no risk to their bottom dollar then they have no responsibility or incentive to keep track.

No one looks out for your money better than you or someone being paid specifically for that task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeyter View Post
Use PO's with the Employee Name and Job Name. Anything not turned in that is in your name will be deducted from the checks. You can do the same with cards. Give everyone their own card and anything without a receipt they are on the hook for.

Truth of the matter is that unless an employee (or anyone for that matter) has some skin in the game with their own money they don't care about it. So if there is no risk to their bottom dollar then they have no responsibility or incentive to keep track.

No one looks out for your money better than you or someone being paid specifically for that task.
\
You better not be deducting from employees paycheck.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,748

Quote:

Not even close to being legal.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: a little bit of everything, roofing, windows, doors, kitchen & bath remodels

keeyter so I'm not familiar with PO's, might be half my problem. To me a PO is used for large item high dollar purchases, not sure they would be feasible in my application. For example: So your on site and you need a new P trap, outlet, picture hanging bracket, bumper pad, ect to finish up the bathroom remodel your working on. Here, I run a half mile to down town from any of the fartherest parts of my home town, walk into the hardware store, pickup it up, charge it and back to work you go. Now someone has an invoice that purchased that item is a PO the easiest way and least amount of headache to go from supplier invoice to customer invoice?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
Not even close to being legal.
Your Internet Law Degree is wrong here

Some states do not allow it but Wisconsin does.

103.455 Deductions for faulty workmanship, loss, theft or damage. No employer may make any
deduction from the wages due or earned by any employee, who is not an independent contractor, for
defective or faulty workmanship, lost or stolen property or damage to property, unless the employee
authorizes the employer in writing to make that deduction or unless the employer and a representative
designated by the employee determine that the defective or faulty workmanship, loss, theft or damage is
due to the employee's negligence, carelessness, or willful and intentional conduct, or unless the employee
is found guilty or held liable in a court of competent jurisdiction by reason of that negligence,
carelessness, or willful and intentional conduct. If any deduction is made or credit taken by any employer
that is not in accordance with this section, the employer shall be liable for twice the amount of the
deduction or credit taken in a civil action brought by the employee. Any agreement entered into between
an employer and employee that is contrary to this section shall be void. In case of a disagreement
between the 2 parties, the department shall be the 3rd determining party, subject to any appeal to the
court. Section 111.322 (2m) applies to discharge and other discriminatory acts arising in connection
with any proceeding to recover a deduction under this section.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
\
You better not be deducting from employees paycheck.
State law says otherwise, I assume you mean other than the obvious taxes that get deducted, yes I can legally deduct from a paycheck.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwksremodeler View Post
keeyter so I'm not familiar with PO's, might be half my problem. To me a PO is used for large item high dollar purchases, not sure they would be feasible in my application. For example: So your on site and you need a new P trap, outlet, picture hanging bracket, bumper pad, ect to finish up the bathroom remodel your working on. Here, I run a half mile to down town from any of the fartherest parts of my home town, walk into the hardware store, pickup it up, charge it and back to work you go. Now someone has an invoice that purchased that item is a PO the easiest way and least amount of headache to go from supplier invoice to customer invoice?
All suppliers I use, including Home Depot, can require Purchase Orders to charge my account. All my vendors use the employee name and numbers of the site address as my purchase orders. Then I know who bought what for where.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keeyter For This Useful Post:
nwksremodeler (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,124

Just fire someone. If they aren't trying to help you make a profit you don't need them.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSmith View Post
Just fire someone. If they aren't trying to help you make a profit you don't need them.
Firing employees that are good workers but poor secretaries is not on my to do list. While you may have applicants waiting to be hired I don't and would like to retain my employees and not have to reinvest in training some one new till I have to. But feel free to fire anyone you wish
Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
All suppliers I use, including Home Depot, can require Purchase Orders to charge my account. All my vendors use the employee name and numbers of the site address as my purchase orders. Then I know who bought what for where.
So I am essentially doing the same employee is supposed to sigh their name and write homeowner initials or physical location on each invoice. But tell me what your process is going from theses PO's or individual invoices to customer billing. On your PO's @ HD I guess they can probably break them down by job if going through the pro desk? I don't do a lot of business at big box stores because of the 90 to 180 mile distance to them. My lumber yard still hand writes all of their tickets. The best they can do is write a job name on them.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 AM   #13
Pro

If they are that old school and don't offer online statements I would get a credit card account with a few cards for the guys. Instant access to online statements every day - you can download a days transactions and upload right to your accounting software, done, and no worries over lost receipts.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwksremodeler View Post
Firing employees that are good workers but poor secretaries is not on my to do list. While you may have applicants waiting to be hired I don't and would like to retain my employees and not have to reinvest in training some one new till I have to. But feel free to fire anyone you wish
You don't have to give me the green light to fire who I want, but thanks anyways. The attitude doesn't impress me from someone who brought their problems to the internet.

You say they are good workers but bad secretaries. If that's how you choose to look at it fine. If it is their job to turn in receipts and they aren't, they are not that good of workers and what kind of secretaries they are is irreverent. Maybe they are good carpenters but there is a lot more to being good at any job than just carpentry. It stunts bushiness growth to employ one denominational employees who can't see the bigger picture.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 657

Tell your employees that they need to get a po number off you before they buy anything, you record the purchase , job done

Advertisement