Superintendent Salary? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Superintendent Salary?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 75

Superintendent Salary?

I have been contacted to manage a subdivision for a residential construction company in Colorado. With the slow times it would be worth looking into for me. I am trying to figure out what the average salary would be for a superintendent, that would be onsite everyday, overseeing 8+ houses at a time, from the ground up. I want some figures before negotiations take place. It would be a sub-contractor agreement, with them paying bi-monthly, for my company managing the construction.

Thank you

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,024

Re: Superintendent Salary?

What would be the insurance and liability ramifications to you and your company? Same as any other sub-contractor on the job?
I've been thinking of looking into that type of work myself if things get really thin.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Pro

Actually Bodger, that was my #1 concern and question I am trying to find out. I don't know if I am covered under the general liability of the other company, which will be considered the general contractor or not. If anybody can chime in on that as well that would be great. I have never looked into this situation before so I am definitely doing some homework.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

You must carry GL insurance and I would even keep or get a workers comp policy...even if you don't have any employees. When people sue or get hurt on a job they go after everyone including the site super. You as a sub contractor are covered under the GC's policy.

As for salary, what does a competent manager make in your area? Add your expenses, GL, WC, fuel, vehicle, phone, misc. I would think that would be more than fair.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #5

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

if doing as a 1098 scenerio, $60-$70/hr would be fair to both parties
Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Independent Cost Estimator
Rewards Points: 252

I would want to know what is expected of you on this project. Superintendent means different things to different people.

Are you there to Supervise crews and keep the job on schedule or are they asking you to Manage the entire Project from permiting the civil work to final punch walk through with the owners at closing.

You need to know this before you can decide what a far price for these type of services.

Of course someone here is going to tell you you haven't given anyone enough info to give you an intellegent answer and they will be right.

As for a stab at it...In Colorado

Tract home Super $40- $50 G's per year Salary

Complete Project Manager on 10,000 + Sgft Custom Homes In Cherry Hills 100-$150 G's per year Salary

There is a giant ballpark for you. Keep in Mind those are Salary #'s if you want to Contract this work you have all of the O&P, Ins. ect to factor in.

As Always check out this Company and have a Lawyer look at your contract before signing anything.

Good Luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #7

Trade: General building & remodeling

Scope of project and duties would need to be defined...I know guy's making up to 250K annually as a superintendent.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Pro

All I will be doing is supervising crews, scheduling subs, checking material #s and checking quality of work. I will not be ordering, collecting invoices/checks, meeting with city officials, pulling permits etc. And it is for a tract home developer. I have a follow up meeting in about a month to go over the projects in more detail.

Anything else you guys can think of to ask at this meeting?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler, Roofing Expert and Coach

I would recommend W-2 position @ 125K salary plus performance bonus.

Good luck

mark the coach

web/blog
www.thecontractorcoachingpartnership.com
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Glazier 17 years. Now a Sparky in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Scope of project and duties would need to be defined...I know guy's making up to 250K annually as a superintendent.
You got that right for sure, I know guys making 30K annually.

It also depends on where in CO you are? In Vail you would get paid a lot more than here in Pueblo.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #11

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 25

payscale.com
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 578

you said you would be a subcontractor? If so you won't be paid by the hour or under his insurance. maybe charge 8% the value of ea home
Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: superintendent
Rewards Points: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Dang it! I'm getting hosed!

I'm in the 60 to 70K range, but with a company truck and gas.
There are probably too many varibles such as location and prevaling wages (not in the Bacon Davis sense, but in what's being paid in your area) to say. I'm not sure about anywhere but here, but housing is down and home builders are struggling. I would imagine in light of that, wages would be down, also.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
Dang it! I'm getting hosed!

I'm in the 60 to 70K range, but with a company truck and gas.
There are probably too many varibles such as location and prevaling wages (not in the Bacon Davis sense, but in what's being paid in your area) to say. I'm not sure about anywhere but here, but housing is down and home builders are struggling. I would imagine in light of that, wages would be down, also.
Hey Pritch
Where are you located, I didn't see it in your profile.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: superintendent
Rewards Points: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
Hey Pritch
Where are you located, I didn't see it in your profile.
I live in a small town in Northern Utah, but I work out of Salt Lake. I guess I better fill out my profile.

Advertisement