Subcontractor Question Help.. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Subcontractor Question Help..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Subcontractor Question Help..

I am a general contractor hiring a electrician to rewire a house from aluminum to copper. This us a decent size job since it is a 5 bedroom house. So I out this out to bid and found prices from 13k to 25k

My question is that a new electrical contractor, who is a clean cut young guy and I want to hire. Is persistent for my customers contact info, email and cell number.

I feel that being the general and I am writing his check, and my customer who lives out of town and has paid me to handle this project. I just don't want someone in that mix.

I am wrong for saying that or is it normal. I just don't want a new person who I have not built a relationship with corresponding with my customer.

Any thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 589

Re: Subcontractor Question Help..

Did you ask him why he wants it? I've never had a sub ask for customer info - and it would be a little weird - but maybe he's just filling in all the boxes on his accounting software or something.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopsaw Chick For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (03-31-2015), hdavis (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

As an electrical contractor who does mostly sub work I find it a little strange. If the client is out of town, then I think everything should go through the GC. Seems a little early in the game to start wanting client info.

As was said in a previous post, Why ??? I would find out from this guy why he needs all this info. Does he need to be on site when you are not there ? Does he want to up sell the client ?? Who knows. I would find out.

In the past, especially with residential, I would ask the GC if it was ok to contact the client on my own, usually to clear up some issues as to the client's preferences on trim, how many outlets, switches, lights, etc. Usually the GC didn't know, and, didn't want to be bothered too much with the electrical end of things. But I always got permission first, and, both the GC and I would talk to the client together to make sure it was ok. I always had the GC introduce me to the client and set the guidelines as to how do I communicate with him and the client.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,654

Unless he were to have a need to work in an occupied house, independently coordinating access with the HO, what's the need?

So he's the low bid, eh?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

I did ask. He said that the utility company asks for all that. Which is partly untrue. I can give the customers name and account number to him. But as you said I never had one ask in the past and nor have I asked for such info when doing jobs for other general contractors.

His wife has sent emails with the proposals and they are full of extra talk, not bad people just overly active in opinion.

I have been doing construction for a long time myself and I found the less bulls hit the better. Just be fair, be upfront, be honest, and do good work. Good things will follow that.

My gut says he is worried about getting paid since we never have done business before.

I want to confront it and say what I feel and offer him just to do the service first a $2k job so he is comfortable and then move on to the rest.
But before I was a hard ass, I just wanted to see what other people out here have to say about it.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to stl_contractor For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,870

Sometimes the AHJ and/or POCO requires that info for the permit.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 502

If he was the low bid, you'll collect your profit on the $13k then he may bypass you and go directly to the seller to sell upgrades.

He'll make the profit on that and since you're out of the loop your done.
Hence why he is the low bid.

This is just an assumption and I may be wrong all around.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,000

This is his first job for you. I imagine he wants some contact info easily at hand should you decide not to pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (03-31-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

Who is pulling the electrical permit. If it is him, he would probably need the info for the permit. Here in Ontario, it is required to have the building permit displayed at the jobsite. It always states the owners name and address on it anyway. As far as having subcontractors contacting the owner, I would say that is out of line unless there is some reason for it. People hire a general to take care of their interests, not be contacted by every person working on their house. jmho
The Following User Says Thank You to muskoka guy For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

2 reasons,
1.he is covering his ass in case you don't pay him,
2. He will go to the h.o directly with the cost so he gets it, your 10% ( or whatever) could be a huge difference.

Either way he is going about wrong, he should be working on building a relationship with you, you'll be the one to give him more work if he's good.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
I'm The BOSS

Trade: builder / remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,733

kick him to the curb.

He's starting off on the wrong foot..
Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaydee For This Useful Post:
FrankSmith (03-30-2015), jhark123 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,715

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
kick him to the curb.

He's starting off on the wrong foot..

This. As with all things you get what you pay for.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,000

You gc's are a funny bunch. Lots of talk about making sure to cya, but when a sub does it they're up to something?

If a gc calls that I know nothing about I will ask around. If that doesn't get me any answers then I most likely would pass on the job, but if not, I would want the property owners info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (03-31-2015), wazez (03-31-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

Even if he did contact the HO, it isn't certain that they would stand for that. They may come right to you and let you know that a sub was bothering them.
If you need a new electrical sub I'd give this guy a chance. He might just be doing a CYA, and you now have a promising business relationship. Worst case he does go behind your back, and you never have to talk to him again.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_contractor View Post
I am wrong for saying that or is it normal. I just don't want a new person who I have not built a relationship with corresponding with my customer.

Any thoughts?
That worried ... ask him what he needs the info for. Explain to him there is to be no direct contact to the customer, as is standard, with any GC-sub relationship and contract.

The info may be just as simple as him building a data base of contacts. Wise thing to do for a start up marketing wise.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
That worried ... ask him what he needs the info for. Explain to him there is to be no direct contact to the customer, as is standard, with any GC-sub relationship and contract.

The info may be just as simple as him building a data base of contacts. Wise thing to do for a start up marketing wise.
That would be great if everyone I worked for would give me the names of their customers for my data base. I am sure if I ever contacted an owner without the generals permission, it would be grounds for dismissal. As far as making sure he gets paid, that's what liens are for.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka guy View Post
As far as making sure he gets paid, that's what liens are for.
exactly...and you lien the property not the GC. My guess is he wants the info so that if he needs to lien the place he can.
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (03-31-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
You gc's are a funny bunch. Lots of talk about making sure to cya, but when a sub does it they're up to something?

If a gc calls that I know nothing about I will ask around. If that doesn't get me any answers then I most likely would pass on the job, but if not, I would want the property owners info.

We are a damned funny bunch!

Unless I need the sub to talk to the client, then all calls come through me, and especially a new sub on the team. My subs have all been with me for years, and this isn't an issue.....but...to your point, in Oklahoma, if a sub does work on a property, and the GC doesn't pay, then a trip to the court house and file to mechanics lien on the home will get a mailing address.....all they need to establish contact with a client if they are in fact, a sub contractor working for the general contractor.

I would not let the guy pull the permit either.....but in the case of the OP, why the difference in bids? Something missing?

If a bid is even out 5% or more, it is a warning in my opinion.....

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post
exactly...and you lien the property not the GC. My guess is he wants the info so that if he needs to lien the place he can.
E-mail and cell phone number are not tools to file liens...

But, and e-mail and cell phone are an ideal way to tell the client how much more you can do if they hire you directly. You cannot always assume everyone has ethics in the trades. Even more frequently, clients will see an opportunity like this and take full advantage of it...and blame you if it goes south.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #20
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_contractor View Post
My gut says he is worried about getting paid since we never have done business before. s
Bingo! Thats all it is IMO. He is just covering the bases that he can in case you are a dirt bag and screw him. If you did at least he could try and collect from the HO, and at minimum let them know that you screwed him.

This is no big deal IMO. Just be upfront about it and shoot straight. If you come right out and address it I think you can put his mind at ease and move forward with no problems. You may also want to consider if there is anything about yourself as a GC that is sending the new subs red flags...

Advertisement